Preview / speculation about the upcoming episodes of The Simpsons.

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
I think the Bambi segment should be the opening segment for Treehouse of Horror XXXII, because that's what Mr. Brad Lascelle thinks in the Season 33 Information Thread too the other day

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
You see this picture down below? It's the Treehouse of Horror XXXII logo that could probably be for the end of the Bambi segment, this picture is actually from the THOH XXXII promo video I found from Twitter this morning

1633629807927.png

Bohdan

Stonecutter
You see this picture down below? It's the Treehouse of Horror XXXII logo that could probably be for the end of the Bambi segment, this picture is actually from the THOH XXXII promo video I found from Twitter this morning
Here is an example from 2016 with "wrong" logo of TH27, also from Fox sneak peek

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
With every Treehouse Of Horror including Kang and Kodos (though THOH XXXI may only count if you include the flashback scenes from previous THOH's) the wriers/animators will always try to find a way to put them in a cameo form.
Well Trab, it turns out that Kang and Kodos will indeed appear somewhere in Treehouse of Horror XXXII later this year after all, according to the Treehouse of Horror XXXII preview video on Twitter. So Kang and Kodos will probably make their cameo appearance, and by the looks of it, they'll appear in the Dead Ringer segment if you watch the video inside this link down below

THOHXXXII

I actually liked THOH31 a lot and still do. And part of that is that it actually seems to do that one thing a lot of older THOH's did; just be pretty silly about the whole thing. I don't like the "serious" ones, especially noticing how the whole "anyone can die" thing isn't entirely true and they're actually pretty picky (not counting THOH30 since she wasn't even in discomfort onscreen, let alone dead, we haven't had one of Shauna. And pretty sure there's never been an offscreen death for the Spucklers, another of the modern team's darlings). And that like the Bond segment, two of Thankgiving's and a bunch of other later segments, they tend to use a bodycount in lieu of anything actually like... fun or interesting. Maybe I could say something about horror movies but it'd be a bit hypocritical when my favourite horror film is John Carpenter's The Thing and that was bloody as shit. Speaking of, The Thing but at the power plant or whatever? That'd be a kickass segment... potentially.
That and, thinking about it, a lot of the segments I found either funniest or most impressive or interesting tend to have kinda minimal if any deaths. The Bart Zone, Bad Dream House, The Genesis Tub, and so on weren't actually that violent. Even in Nightmare Cafeteria the deaths were mostly offscreen save for poor ol' Willie. So uh, given the Telltale Bart bit I think I just saw the best part by far and just can't confirm it yet.

Parasite: Speaking of that bond "parody" that seems to be where this is going looking at the poster. Maybe with less bodies I could've thought it'd be murders to keep covering the murders to cover the other murders and so on. Like how I play Hitman. That one cap with Lisa lifting Maggie is cute though. *shrug*

Bambi: Is this even a segment? I mean, no promo pics, not on the poster, did it get cut and someone forgot to say? Hard to speculate on something I can't even be sure is real.

Trees: Not counting on this to be another more than another bloodbath. The concept might be neat and maybe original though. And I'll give it that of all the things on the poster, this one's part actually was effectively disturbing.

Telltale Bart: Well it's not really speculation but we saw the whole thing. It was decent. Half of me wants a THOH where all the segments use differing animation styles, that'd be a pretty neat theme to go with.

The Ring: Calling it, despite being a phone addict that's unceasingly shoehorned into school scenes whenever possible, Shauna will be conveniently absent in this one. Also that since Grey was asking around for a halloween name, probably means the twins die which... I really wanted to be wrong in suspecting they were only kept on to die more. Even if that happened to someone like Shauna that'd feel like a horribly spiteful way to treat characters tied to a late cast member. Best case scenario, the candles and such maybe mean Lisa's trying to pre-emptively summon our Sadako stand-in before it can kill the kids at the party and/or Grampa but the ghost Milhouse says otherwise... Unless he died of totally unrelated causes like an asthma attack on the way home, in which case I'll admit that'd be friggin hilarious. Either way, looks like we're also getting a Danger Things/Geriatric Park/Last Thanksgiving lazy "happy" ending out of it.

Either way, none of this except Telltale looks like it'll be good. From an approximate 22 minutes it means a lot of these segments maybe have 5 or less minutes each and... well, I'll point to the recent Disney-based shorts for that one. On account of that and the last one, something tells me I'm best off not watching. Though it'll probably ruin the uncharacteristically positive mood I've had lately and uh... I wish I could have hanged onto that for longer.

The Wayz We Were

Not much of an opinion on this yet. Bringing back Maya seems neat but not entirely sure the "permanent" thing will really work out that way, see; Mary Spuckler. Neato if it does though.

Lisa's Belly

28c.png

Joking aside... there's potentially interesting material like it being a stealth Patty & Selma episode. I don't think those two have gotten much lately. And I'll be corpsing at swole Bart because that sounds beautifully nightmarish. Given how opposite they are, sounds like the two plots might be connected too. It would be kinda funny if Lisa ends up encouraging body positivity in the others and getting popular. Then Bart "gets swole" to try and steal that crowd back, that would be fittingly petty for him.
That said, the way they've drawn Lisa is a little... uncanny. Characters like Bart or Martin do have weirdly skinny limbs still but when there's no extra weight on her face at all while being about as fat as the latter, she just looks really weird.

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
Okay, according to Helmboy in the TVIV.org website, supposedly John Frink's writer halloween name this year is gonna be 'The Return of Frinkzilla', and Matthew Faughnan's halloween name this year would be The Mysterious Matthew Faughnan. You guys should click on the link down below to see for yourselves, I bet Helmboy probably might've went to the Simpsons table read before:

http://m.tviv.org/The Simpsons/Season Thirty-Three

CousinMerl

the waiting game sucks
I wish I could be more optimistic about 'Treehouse Of Horror XXXIII' but with it having five segments as well as being written by John Frink & Jean is showrunning I don't feel like I can hope for much (or anything). It seems like a possible disaster in the making, especially considering it still is a 22 minute episode juggling five segments, but I don't think it'll be anything all that awful in the end and I hope it will have enough creativity to give some enjoyment. Guessing it will be a weak episode but not terrible so a tenative 2/5.

Szyslak100

Stonecutter
The Parasite parody will be for sure rushed and underdeveloped. It features a story about TikTok which on paper is one of the dumbest ideas they have had. The leaked segment was too short and said nothing to me. And it has five segments, and that is something bad taking into account that in the latest years the issue was lack of time and not lack of ideas.

I don't want to sound pessimistic but it is impossible it turns out to be a good episode even though one or two segments could wind up positively.

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
I don't think John Frink will write next year's Treehouse of Horror. But maybe Rob LaZebnik could write next year's Treehouse of Horror, since he usually writes two Simpsons episodes in a production cycle every year

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
You know what I think's gonna happen somewhere later in Season 33? I think the Simpsons ending credits for the UABF production cycle should probably have the Lead Storyboard credit, the Lead Background Design credit and the Lead Character Design credit

Brad Lascelle

A Fixture in Online Simpsons Fandom Since '93
Staff member
Will Al Jean manage to break his most egregious quality slump of his showrunner tenure with this Sunday's episode?

- The 7 Beer Itch - 1.27
- Three Dreams Denied - 1.94
- Sorry Not Sorry - 2.64
- Diary Queen - 2.79
- Yokel Hero - 1.68
- Manger Things - 1.84
- Burger Kings - 2.18
- Maggie Simpson in "The Force Awakens from Its Nap" - 2.00
- Mother and Child Reunion - 2.35
- The Man from G.R.A.M.P.A. - 2.81
- The Good, The Bart, and the Loki - 1.83
- Treehouse of Horror XXXII - 1.97

That's an almost year-long streak of squandering creative opportunities and potential. Can The Wayz We Were stop the bleeding?

Bohdan

Stonecutter
Will Al Jean manage to break his most egregious quality slump of his showrunner tenure with this Sunday's episode?

No!
A) Despite it's a sorta sequel of well received Eany Teany Maya Moe (don't remember correct title), but it's a SEQUEL, and when people will definitely compare TWWW story and 12-year ago episode, the recent one WILL seemed as worse, anyway (I'll explain more, when will write my preview);
B) there is that "traffic story involved mostly Simpsons family", which doesn't sound good already :/
C) Joel Cohen and Al Jean. No comments.

So, as we (or just Jean) didn't want to improve situation, but entire QABF cycle is the worst for Al in years. Unfortunately. :oops:

The answer is "probably not"

Redundant as hell to bring up but for as good as they were, there's probably a good reason why folks like Oakley and Weinstein stepped out after only a few seasons. It's for the best but I think I liked what they brought to the show and coulda done with more of that (like the Van Houten divorse, Skinner and Edna) that actually lead to some good stories... 'til Jean dismantled them for seemingly no reason. I think I heard a rumour that Jean disliked them or something? But he could seriously do with taking a page from their book, help shake off the sterility.
I mean I don't like either of them but after Sunday, even I'm leaning more towards Selman. He at least occasionally tries even if most are middling at best and he still has some real terrible ones under his belt.
Now, if Gravity Falls was any indication, Alex Hirsch would kick ass as a showrunner though. That guy knew how to bring out potential.

Bohdan

Stonecutter
The Wayz We Were
The_Wayz_We_Were_promo_8.png

1. Plot Main plot ("Evergreen Terrace is full of traffic.") - Up to new promos I thought, it will be just a first act, or introduction, but with more accenting on Simpsons family in the story (+Michael Price's words + promo stuff). The last time I misloaded the A and B stories was The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby's new synopsis in March'20. That's just to said. If this is really a full story, not just 1 act - it's REALLY REALLY BAD:negative: just to complete Jean's worst Q-cycle to the end . Not 1, but 2/5, just because "a hope dies in the last time"
Sub-plot ("Meanwhile, Moe has to make a fateful choice…") - Obvious, what choice is it... isn't? So, a guess: Moe reunites with Maya, but founds she became secret alcoholic. Huh, Huh? Sounds like a shit? Yes! Is it really possible? Yes (That's Al, folks!) Or I just too rely on promo stuff, and the story (even as B-story) is a really emotional long-awaited story about lovable old character? Maybe:oops: 3/5 (hit-or-another-miss)
SO, in average we get 2.5/5 for plot(s)
2. The Biggest Possible Problem (something new) The B-story is going to be a sequel of «Eeny Teeny Maya Moe», which many (include me) consider as one of season 20 bests. But, as I said earlier, but it's a SEQUEL. As you want or not, but people WILL compare the two episodes, even, if in premise they have nothing in common. For example, Gudson in Playdate with destiny and subplot in TILoBaB. What was considered better? (rhetorical question) In fact: 98% of sequels/reusing of old characters is WORSE of origin. And I bet (if I had money, I'd really make a bet) Maya character WILL BE RUINED. I became sure of it seeing just one frame from promo clip with "drunken dances" + above image👆
1634137264685.png
Also, not a problem, but feature: if the story has a potential, it will be ruined. For example, we had 2 biggest disappoints: Diary Queen with so hyped Edna tribute, and the too bigger - Mother and Child Reunion - hard to refuse it. (what a surprise - they were run by Jean:D). And those are the biggest possible problems, imho
3. Regarding Al Jean. Not kidding, for some reason he lost the QABF cycle completely (despite I will surprise he could turn this episode into something funny/emotional). The writer is Joel Cohen, who couldn't deliver something good under Jean for a really long time. The director Matthew Nastuk (smells like a possible music number) can do hit or miss
4. Promo stuff this time worked well, I mean it spoil Maya return, but still lots of generic images.
5. Possible ratings 0.5 rat 1.18-1.6 mil

SO, I wrote too pessimistic preview, and might sounded like typical "anti-modern-Simpsons", "anti-Al-Jean" "fan" (too much braces), though actually I still love the show, even the most recent good episodes, even came from weak staff who are always hit-or-miss (I overrun this phrase). FYI, that's all based on just dry statistics. 2/5

P.S. This preview took even more time than on 5 segments of THOH

Last edited:

CousinMerl

the waiting game sucks
'The Wayz We Were' still seem like an intriguing little episode to me. I generally find the Moe-centric episodes some of the better ones, the premise of this one is interesting & I like that Maya returns, but there is still a chance it might not turn out as well as it looks on paper and in pictures (especially as it is an effort from Jean & H. Cohen, two of the three who brought us 'The 7 Beer Snitch'), though I'm guessing it'll be just about okay, even if that is just hopeful thinking. A tenative 3/5.

Szyslak100

Stonecutter
I wish I could be excited about this week's episode but...
- The 7 Beer Itch - 1.27
- Sorry Not Sorry - 2.64
- Diary Queen - 2.79
- Yokel Hero - 1.68
- Manger Things - 1.84
- Burger Kings - 2.18
... It says everything by itself (even though I think most of these episodes are slightly below the rating they deserve). I will calibrate my expectations accordingly. It's a Jean episode and odds are it will ruin the magic chemistry Maya and Moe had, doing them more unlikable, and surely preventing them from a happy ending again (plus, the main story sounds silly). I rather come up expecting shit, and if it turns out to be at least average, I will be happy.

If I had to bet for an episode to put an end to this streak, I think it could be Mother and Other Strangers, because Jean is an awful showrunner at this point but he is (or used to be) an amazing writer.

simplysimpsons

3 years late, but meh!
How is Tim Long even still a writer for this show. He was responsible for some of the worst scripts I've ever seen on any show, scripts so bad they make an average episode of the Flintstones look like a masterpiece.

CousinMerl

the waiting game sucks
- The 7 Beer Itch - 1.27
- Sorry Not Sorry - 2.64
- Diary Queen - 2.79
- Yokel Hero - 1.68
- Manger Things - 1.84
- Burger Kings - 2.18

Looking at that list of recent Jean blund... I mean episodes almost makes want to cry. I'm not saying all of them are terrible (as there are some okay ones there), but if that was a season it would certainly be one of the show's worst (I can just imagine the reactions if it looked like that when airing and it being spearheaded 'The 7 Beer Itch' like that).

There is only so much you can expect from a Jean-H.Cohen episode so with 'The Wayz We Were' is most likely to be a 2/5 (1/5 if they really botch the Moe & Maya stuff), but I still (probably futilely) hope for at least a 3/5 episode.

'Mother And Other Strangers' do seem like the best Jean one to bet on so far (interesting with an episode both written and run by Jean & Rob Olivers direction is usually a highlight) so I'm hoping it'll be all right, but the doubt is still there.

Last edited:

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
Okay, something tells me that Matt Selman might be the showrunner for Habeus Tortoise and 'Not It'

I was imagining a cameo of Perry the Platypus from Phineas and Ferb in an episode of The Simpsons of maybe the Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz with Dan Povenmire as guest star.

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
By the way, we haven't got a Krusty the Clown-centric episode in a while. So, it could be possible if 'Not It' will be a Krusty the Clown episode, I don't know for sure

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
Something tells me that the plot for A Serious Flanders might be almost similar to Left Behind, since you know, Left Behind was also a Flanders episode back in Season 29

Bohdan

Stonecutter
Lisa's Belly
800px-Lisa%27s_Belly_promo_11.png

1. Plot Main plot ("Marge puts a hurtful word in Lisa's brain") - Belly! Belly! The really hurtful word for eight-year-old girl 😅On the other side, if Bart has notable belly, why Lisa can't?:lol:Ok, seriously, the story sounds really cute - original (to surprise) story, which HAS potential. 4/5
Sub-plot ("Bart gets swole") - Sounds weird, but I still hope it's about fainting, it would be cute:colon3: But, perhaps, it's about musculature and I'm wrong. If so, it's nothing for me. 2/5
SO, in average we have 3/5 for plots
2. The Biggest Possible Problem The "overweight" problems isn't really understood plot for "cute" episode. I mean, many fans just feel sick of it. Moreover, the problem 2, it's a reverse of Sleeping with the Enemy B-plot, where Lisa wanted to refuse of belly. Here she will do vice verse - "wide proud" (according to promo-images). But, in some case, if it all will be done REALLY properly (to overshadow SwtE), my all words are brute force.
3. Freelancers (Juliet Kaufman), again, are "hit or miss", while Timothy Bailey under Matt Selman is the best. Also the staff really praise the episode, named it "great" (Jean had did it), so alright… maybe.
4. Promo stuff 15 IMAGES! The really huge amount! It spoiled all the 1st act, but hid the B-story at all. Regarding the most recent Twitter sneak peek, it was different.:lawl:
5. Possible ratings 0.5 rat 1.18-1.54 mil

SO, The praised story with potential, which sounds really great for someones. Huh? 3.5/5

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
I might be all right if Timothy Bailey would direct an another QABF episode again, despite that he also directed 'A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas' and 'The Last Barfighter' already. That said, I'm kinda looking forward to Lisa's Belly

Still bothers me that Lisa's face isn't fat at all. Honestly not seeing much potential in this. I mean, I'm not sure if it's about body issues or "the writers' barely disgused fetish". With Patty and Selma (feels like they often forget about P&S) it could be interesting and if the former... maybe it could do that better than Sleeping With The Enemy? I mean for an ep about a mostly women's issue, it does bother me how it's basically resolved by a big strong male character stepping in.