Preview / speculation about the upcoming episodes of The Simpsons.

Szyslak100

Stonecutter
That's a great preview, Bohdan.
Also this season I'm going to start watch the episodes in original language (with English subtitles, so far), and in days after the episode airs for some episodes. Thus, I plan to join the R&R polls with others, without waiting a year for Ukrainian dub (after obvious watch the dubbing I plan to change my mark then, if such option will be allowed in new R&R's, I hope for).
And this is very nice. Do you know where will you watch the episodes and where will you get the subtitles from? I could lend you a hand with that.

Also, I won't be writing a preview for each episode this year but I will write a long post sharing my first impression of every episode of this season, maybe tonight or maybe tomorrow.

Szyslak100

Stonecutter
Given that this thread is mostly trash and that I want to reduce my participation in the forum, I didn't think I was going to write here again. But this period of new season excites me and I will categorize the episodes according to my first impressions, since I believe giving a "preview rating" to episodes we don't even know the plots of is a bit silly (no intention to offend anyone who did it, but it's not for me).

I think they will be among the best of the season.
- A Serious Flanders. Because I think its plot can be worthy of a two-part episode and because the writers have proved in recent seasons to write funny crime stories. I think it can be a big event for modern Simpsons and a very popular episode.
- Boyz N the Highlands. Simply because it is written by Dan Vebber and produced by Matt Selman, and they have an excellent record as a team with all episodes attached to their names are among the absolute best of the HD era.
- YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT THIS EPISODE IS ABOUT -- ACT THREE WILL SHOCK YOU!. Because Christine Neagle had a very strong debut in the last year with Uncut Femmes, and I am confident she will stay on the right track. Besides, because it has one of the greatest titles ever and yeah, I am baiting the clickbait.
- My Octopus and a Teacher. Because it is written by the current best writer of the staff and produced by Matt Selman, so the possibilities of a hit are very high. I don't expect this to be in the same tier as Halloween of Horror (it would be starry-eyed to think any episode to reach such a level) but I think it could be on-pair with Highway to Well.

Episodes I am looking forward to watching and I am kind of sure I will enjoy them.
- Bart's in Jail. Because the little I know about it intrigues me. An eye-catching title, an original idea, a Family-centric episode, and a mystery to be resolved is a winner combination.
- Mothers and Other Strangers. Because it is written by Al Jean and despite his mediocre work last season as showrunner, he is a great writer and I trust he will keep up the great work. It also has Rob Oliver as the lead director, so it at least will have something worthy for sure. I would be very surprised it is not the best Jean-episode of this season.
- Pixelated and Afraid. Because it is another title that intrigues me and although Go Big or Go Homer was a failure but I am optimistic Frink and Selman will redeem themselves with this one.
- The Longest Marge. Because it is written by Brian Kelley under Selman's supervision so this is likely going to be a strong episode, at least as strong as a modern Marge-centric episode can aspire to be.

I still need more information to reach any conclusion.​
- Lisa's Belly. Crazy title, new writer. I don't have a clue about how this could turn out.
- Portrait of a Lackey on Fire. Smithers has not been a solid character during the HD era and LaZebnik is an inconsistent writer so I have more doubts than certainties here, but I can not be totally pessimistic about a Selman episode.
- A Made Maggie. Although I adore Maggie, she has been used very often the last few years and I am frankly disappointed they refuse to produce her version of Boyhood, so I am looking at this episode with certain contempt despite this feeling will disappear before the episode airs... I guess.
- Bart the Cool Kid. Ryan Koh did a terrific job with his latter episode, The Dad-Feelings Limited, but I am doubtful if it was an exceptionally good episode or if he actually improved as a writer so, I need more details for this one.
- Meat Is Murder. Another Grampa-centric story, this time it's written by Michael Price. Both tend to be average so I am not expecting much from this.
- Poorhouse Rock. You can not say so loosely that an episode penned by Tim Long will be a success and you can not discard an episode produced by Matt Selman just because of the writer, so this episode enters automatically in this category.
- Marge the Meanie. I am very happy Megan Amram is back (I quite liked her previous episodes), but kind of unsure because Jean is behind it. Jean said some years ago there was a third episode written by Megan, and I am wondering if they pushed it back to be a season finale for some special reason.

These could be good, even great, but I hear alarms sounding.​
- The Star of Backstage. I don't like Broadway musicals and this episode will be essentially a Broadway musical, so I am concerned about this season's premiere. I don't hate them by default anymore (I used to do it when I watched the show dubbed because the songs sound awful) and my opinion in episodes like SimsponcalifragilisticExpialaD'ohcious or The President Wore Pearls has grown with the pass of time but still, it's not likely for me to genuinely like this episode.
- Bleeding Gums Murphy in the Sound of Music. Man, episodes centered on dead characters are a very recurrent thing now. And they haven't been that introspective and reflective as they should. Judging by the title, this one might be a mockumentary or a format-bender episode, which could be great, but I fear that it could have the same problems as Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? and Diary Queen.
- Girls Just Shauna Have Fun. Hard to be optimistic with an episode written by Jeff Westbrook starred by Shauna. But I am hopeful because Westbrook delivered one of the best episodes of the last season, because Matt Selman's name is attached to it, and because we are in an era of backstories and it could be great to discover why Shauna is like she is.

I already assumed these are not going to work.​
- Treehouse of Horror XXXII. No way they can properly write five horror stories in 22 minutes, with all that means. It will be impossible for the segments to get introduction/conflict/climax/ending in an average of 4 minutes and 24 seconds per segment. Some segments may work but there will be a lot of filling It also changes a tradition of 32 years when nobody asked for it. I can't see it working at all.
- The Wayz We Were. Joel Cohen and Al Jean is not a team that is used to get good results, to be fair.
- Pretty Whittle Liar. Exactly what everyone asked after Yokel Hero. Another episode about the Spucklers, goddamn it. Be ready for another festival of jokes against rednecks.

CousinMerl

the waiting game sucks
I'm not gonna speculate about all the known episodes of season 33 at once, but I'll say that those are some good and interesting takes overall, @Szyslak100.

As for 'The Star Of Backstage', I think it can turn out to be a very good season opener if Jean, Selman, Oliver & Kiernan Averick play their cards right. The plot (with its conflict) sounds like a good one for Marge (though I can see some fans already complaining that Marge being in high school in the 1990's) and I don't mind musicals (I rather think it'll be nice to get a full one again after quite the bit of time, also considering how many random songs they've put in modern episodes) so it seem to be a recipe for at least a somewhat successful episode in the end.

What has me concerned is that Kiernan Averick's previous episodes ('Hail To The Teeth' & 'The Good, The Bad & The Loki') haven't been good so I hope that this will be another 'Road To Cincinnati' (where it is likely Selman steered Westbrook's writing in the right direction).

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
- Treehouse of Horror XXXII. No way they can properly write five horror stories in 22 minutes, with all that means. It will be impossible for the segments to get introduction/conflict/climax/ending in an average of 4 minutes and 24 seconds per segment. Some segments may work but there will be a lot of filling It also changes a tradition of 32 years when nobody asked for it. I can't see it working at all.
Well, THOH XXXII could have 2 mini segments, and 3 regular segments. For example, the intro might have the segment where a guy named Vincent Price reads Maggie a telltale story, and there could be an epilogue after the third segment and before the ending credits

Brad Lascelle

A Fixture in Online Simpsons Fandom Since '93
Staff member
While I'm still underwhelmed for the premiere (or as underwhelmed as I could possible be for a Selman-run, Oliver-directed effort), I will say that I'm rather enthused that they're going the route of making Marge the villain and rolling with a central theme of nostalgia clouding one's perception of past events.

If they play up the absurdity (Y2K by its very nature will provide them with scads of material to do just this) and deliver some winning musical numbers that afford both Bell and Chase the opportunity to showcase their vocal chops alongside some immaculately animated Oliver set pieces, I can definitely see The Star of the Backstage being an episode that wins all but the floating timeline deniers over.

That Don Guy

Ooooo, floor pie
If they play up the absurdity (Y2K by its very nature will provide them with scads of material to do just this) and deliver some winning musical numbers that afford both Bell and Chase the opportunity to showcase their vocal chops alongside some immaculately animated Oliver set pieces, I can definitely see The Star of the Backstage being an episode that wins all but the floating timeline deniers over.
You underestimate the ability of some people to be turned off by "musical episodes."

Brad Lascelle

A Fixture in Online Simpsons Fandom Since '93
Staff member
You underestimate the ability of some people to be turned off by "musical episodes."
Well, I'd like to think those people wouldn't watch on Sunday to begin with given that the episode has been very clearly advertised as such. But yeah, you're right that they'll watch anyhow and gripe about the episode delivering exactly what it set out to deliver. In much the same way that there are folks who don't care for horror that complained about Thanksgiving of Horror boasting graphic violence and proceeded to score it a 1.

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
By the way, what I meant about the epilogue for this year's upcoming Treehouse of Horror XXXII is that it could be the last mini segment for this year's upcoming Treehouse of Horror before the ending credits, like I kinda already said before

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
Looks like A Made Maggie is actually Elisabeth Kiernan Averick's third script that she wrote so far. I hope she might write an another episode for Season 34 for the 1BBF production cycle sometime next year before Season 34 happens

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
You know what? Hopefully sometime later this Thursday, there should be a table read for UABF16, since there wasn't a table read for UABF16 at all last Thursday and a week before, so... Maybe UABF16 is probably gonna surprise us, unless if Al Jean wants to showrun UABF16

In the episode "Boyz N the Highlands", Bart saves a goat from satanists. I think that the episode would be similar to season 19 episode "Apocalypse Cow", where Bart saves a cow called Lou.

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
You know, I'd be surprised if there might be a table read for UABF16 tomorrow. But hey, maybe Al Jean might reveal the episode title for UABF16 on Twitter tomorrow, unless if there happens to be a thirty-third Treehouse of Horror table read

Bohdan

Stonecutter
You know, I'd be surprised if there might be a table read for UABF16 tomorrow. But hey, maybe Al Jean might reveal the episode title for UABF16 on Twitter tomorrow, unless if there happens to be a thirty-third Treehouse of Horror table read
You maded all with that "issue": us, Jean, Price, Selman… Ugh:mad: Well, just ignoring you is good, but sometimes the tolerance is over.

I really haven't say it for a while, but KEEP CALM, MAN!

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
Okay, okay! I'll try my very best to calm down, until whenever the time comes the next day, the next week, or something like that! 😐

Evil Homer

Stonecutter
I still don't get why the new THOH will have 5 segments. 4 segments I can understand given the 4 act structure. Are they going to change the format to 5 acts now or something?

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
I still don't get why the new THOH will have 5 segments. 4 segments I can understand given the 4 act structure. Are they going to change the format to 5 acts now or something?
To be fair, I think it's best that we wait until October 10th before we find out how it's possible for the new Treehouse of Horror to have five segments

They're probably counting the usual 1 minute opening as a segment, which means they'll probably just have 4 segments. Jean probably counts that clip they showed at Comic-Con with Vincent Price reading to Maggie that was only 50 seconds as one of the segments.

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
Yet there are still no promo pictures for THOH XXXII on FOXFLASH at the moment. Let's be honest, I think it's kinda annoying that there's no promo pictures for one of the upcoming episodes on FOXFLASH yet

Bohdan

Stonecutter
Bart's in Jail
Bart%27s_in_Jail_promo_7.png

1. Plot ("When Grampa falls victim to a phone scammer, the Simpsons set out on a mission of vengeance to get his money back") - The story doesn't sounds interesting.😕 I mean, it isn't bad, down-to-earth, I believe, but... it is can be the main problem. Low dynamic, low interested features, guest stars with little roles (I bet both Loki and Bill Cypher + Scott Hanson will probably finish own appearance in the 1st act). On the other hand, the actual problem with phone scamming, the "family bond" to help are really nice things in premise. Oh, I don't know! Maybe more 'yes' to this broken all expections from the title story, than 'no'. 3.5/5
2. Matt Selman, now isn't something unique, if see at the count of his-runned eps. But I can't miss him, because the director Steven Dean Moore will work under him just for 2nd time (I dislike Heartbreak Hotel). Plus, Moore hasn't show any of good work in recent his efforts (even these prom images are… ok I'm go ahead). Freelancer writers are hit-or-miss, actually, and this time I think of 'miss'.
3. Promo stuff Promo-images are generic, with off-model animation, BUT they showed us the "grounding" of episode and context of guest stars (restaurant), so 1:1.🤷‍♂️
4. Possible ratings 0.7 rat 0.98-1.04 mil (my statistics can be wrong too)

SO, this one could be either surprising down-to-earth episode, or boring critical thing. 2.5-3/5 As always in such cases, I'd want to be wrong ;)

P.S. I think, if you liked Podcast News or Wad Goals, you'll like this one too.:)

CousinMerl

the waiting game sucks
'Bart's In Jail!' still sounds like a promising episode to me due to an interesting plot based on a current theme (elderly people being scammed), it is interesting to see a script by assistant producer Nick Dahan & with Selman overseeing it could work out, but I don't count on it. Guessing it'll be a nice round 3/5, but I'm ready for it to surprise.

Also, I have to wonder in what way they'll incorporate Alex Hirsch as Bill Cipher, but I'm guessing it could be the couch gag since I cannot see it being in the actual episode (also, I had been hoping he'd voice an original character than reprising this old villain role, but I'm sure he'll make for an amusing cameo either way).

CousinMerl

the waiting game sucks
A few Selman episodes have had couch gags IIRC, but it can be likely this one won't in the end, in which case it will be interesting to see how they'll work the character in the episode without it coming off as random & forced.

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
You know, I guess Cesar Mazariegos' halloween name for this year's Treehouse of Horror could be Midsommazariegos

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
I think that Sideshow Bob would appear in some season 33 episode because the character appears every 2 seasons.
I doubt it, but maybe he'll probably make a cameo appearance somewhere in Season 33. But so far, there won't be a Professor Frink episode for somewhere in Season 33

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
You know, I bet Kevin Michael Richardson is probably gonna voice one of the trees for the Elm Tree segment for this year's Treehouse of Horror. Then again, we shall have to wait and see

HomerFan1998

Stonecutter
Okay Bohdan, it's almost time for you to do a preview for this year's Treehouse of Horror sometime later today, or whenever you'll get to it

Bohdan

Stonecutter
Treehouse of Horror XXXII🎃
Treehouse_of_Horror_XXXII_poster.png

1. Plot
  1. «Bong Joon Ho’s ‘This Side of Parasite'» ("The Simpsons live in a poor apartment in the basement, but seek to change their conditions after Bart was hired as a mentor by the rich superstar Rainer Wolfcastle. Eventually, Bart arranges for Homer to be hired as Wolfkasl's new driver, Marge gets a maid, Lisa is hired as an art teacher, and even Maggie gets an assistant job. However, when Wolfcastle goes on vacation and the Simpsons throw a party at the estate, they discover that the house is secretly inhabited by others - Kirk and Luan van Houten, who are not happy that the Simpsons took their jobs…") - A full parody on 2-year film (not so old, actually). So, what? Sounds fantastic. Before that article came I had thought they literally use "parasite" word - like insect invasion 🕸️🐛🐝🪳But the parody is really better) I'd give 5/5, but aware of very likely mediocrity, like in Danger Things (the same atmosphere), or other recent horror parody segment. So, this story itself got 4.5/5
  2. «Bambi» ("Bambi's terrible revenge") - Someone would wait something cuteness here (really, in horror episode?). I reminded to myself short Bambi appearence in Rednecks and Broomsticks (there was violence scene when Homer just run Bambi out of screen) - it WAS decent (just IMHO). This lazy-titled segment (I believe, promo-department missed the real title) which perhaps going to be just 1-2 minutes, and from which there isn't ANY LOOK AT, I don't like so far. 2/5
  3. «Nightmare on Elm Tree» ("The trees are taking revenge on the people of Springfield") - meh. Sounds like a rehash of 50Feet Attack + a phrase about alive trees from "Holidays of Future Past". Also, that Tree Rollins self-parody "joke" don't let me up. I want this one also would last not long. 3/5
  4. «Poetic Interlude» ("Vincent Price tells Maggie "The Telltale Bart" stories") - A segment was revealed on Comic Con panel, so some "preview thoughts" are exceed. Just my mark. 2/5 Cool animation style, and scenes of Bart's pranks, but wraparound (and ending) is nothing special.
  5. «Dead Ringer» ("Lisa discovers about a party she was not invited to. However, it turns out that the are children from Springfield Elementary School, who watched the video from TikTok there, die in seven days. Lisa prepares a plan to stop TikTok from killing viewers.") - Rehash of Nightmare Cafeteria + Nightmare on Evergreen Terrace (again, from TH6). But, cause TikTok is still an actual useful (used by many) thing there is some piece satire. But the last pictures with that "dead ring girl" made some surprise, actually.:confused: Anyway, believe in good (like that can help). 3.5/5
SO, the stories in average earn 3/5 mark from me (mediocre-to-decent)
2. The first Al Jean's episode this season (who was really disappointed in Q-cycle). THOH are such episodes, because here we all understand the segments were written by all crew, but just one random name (John Frink, nothing personal to him though his last episodes weren't really good) is put in credits. In the same time Matthew Faughnan has some experience in THs, but not good:(.
3. Promo stuff was silent for a long time, but after revealing it's GOOD, what is a BAD sign😑 I'd give my personal"+", if there were at least SOME look at Bambi.
4. Possible ratings 1.4 rat 3.85-4.44 mil
5. About the count. Of course, the most probable scenario is LACK by not big time for segments. However, I thought, if there will be a bit of all follow: good horror, good jokes and good trash, or at least 2 of these "good's", the episode would work and be… not great nor good, but at least OK

SO, the last year THOH was really good (in most part, for the most). We shouldn't wait the same turn from this one, but… no, no "but"'s 2/5

Last edited: