Official Season 15 DVD & Blu-Ray

I'll betcha that the Simpsons Movie scenes she directed included the Lisa meets Colin scene and the family in the motel scene in which Bart runs around with a tiny liquor bottle in his mouth. Both those scenes remind me of the animation seen in I, D'oh-bot

That's why a special edition version of The Simpsons Movie with loads of extras and analysis about the various scenes and the process of making the movie would be welcome. Regardless of people's opinion regarding the quality of the movie, the whole development of it while they also had to continue production of the actual series would be very insightful.

I'll betcha that the Simpsons Movie scenes she directed included the Lisa meets Colin scene and the family in the motel scene in which Bart runs around with a tiny liquor bottle in his mouth. Both those scenes remind me of the animation seen in I, D'oh-bot

That's pretty much confirmed in the DVD commentary. David Silverman even mentions that Lauren personally animated the shot where she passes out, while Chris Clements handled the previous animation where she holds the book tight while squealing.

That's pretty much confirmed in the DVD commentary. David Silverman even mentions that Lauren personally animated the shot where she passes out, while Chris Clements handled the previous animation where she holds the book tight while squealing.

Oh, I should relisten to that animators' commentary.

-how are deleted scenes? anything interesting?

-how's the intro by groening on disc one?

-anything worthwhile in the commentaries?

thinking of picking this up but i need some good reasons

Groening's intro is a minute or so, deleted scenes aren't as scarce as I was expecting but most are just the same scene with the last 15 seconds are so cut out. I just watched Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore and the only deleted scene was a continuation of a Bart scene where Patty and Selma give him advice.

I'm enjoying the commentaries so far but I'm not that hard to please on that front. It sounds like you don't want to pick it up though. If this is an impulse buy and there's nothing else you want then sure but if you think you could use the money on something better do that.

Does anyone here have the Blu-ray yet? I'm wodering is the pic quality as good or any better then the previous releease

So I was watching the commentary for I doh-bot, and towards the end several Al Jean and Matt Groening were bashing The Principal and the Pauper. It's the first time I can recall hearing Jean openly bash an episode, which is kind of ironic since he's produced some horrific ones, and been on the commentary for some of the worst. It's always fun to hear the writers who have helped run the show into the ground bash an episode from when the show was actually good.

Another thing. If Al Jean disliked the Armin Tamzarian thing so much, why did they do pretty much the exact same thing with Fat Tony?

Last edited:
Jean seems obsessed with the animation lately. He spends a hell of a lot of time on these commentaries talking about it. He spends quite a bit of The Wandering Juvie on it for instance(though I don't actually mind this personally).

Yeah, I'm rather disappointed in the commentaries this time around. They spend more time discussing other shows than they do talking about The Simpsons. For example, I just watched "Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Any More" and they don't even mention that Robert Stack was originally slated to be in the episode. And in the scene where they have cameos from several guest stars voicing the "things that shouldn't talk but do" they're too busy discussing something else (can't remember what, possibly The Wonder Years) and don't even mention those guest stars.

I was happy that there were a few familiar names returning to do commentary like Jon Vitti and James L. Brooks. I quite enjoyed the one Vitti did when they were talking about the early days of the show. Michael Moore was an interesting guest as well.

And I've learned that the writers are obsessed with wikipedia. They bash it from time to time, then turn around and say "I was looking this up on wikipedia." From these commentaries, I get the impression that Al Jean does spend a lot of time reading opinions on the show. For example in a season 14 episode he knew the name of a blogger who has done reviews of a number of newer episodes.

Just watched "The Unusual Ones" on Disc 2 and it's interesting. Basically the writers and animators talking about certain scenes that had a distinctly different style to them, or were straight up parodies of various animated movies.

Lol, that's short.

Next time it'll be only: "hi guys, new season on dvd, have fun, bye."

They've been that short for a while now actually. I wanna say since Season 11 but I'm not sure. They were all pretty repetitive regardless.

My favorite part of any of these commentaries so far is the beginning of My Big Fat Geek Wedding where they're talking about Mark Kirkland and he says he's currently directing his 70th episode(Beware My Cheating Bart). Their reactions are pretty awesome. The commentary itself is mostly about Comic Con though, hardly any discussion on Edna and Seymour aside from an opening line or two by Jean. Still, I always like the Kirkland appreciation when we get it. Jim Reardon I think gave him a shout out on the Thomas Edison episode commentary back in Season 10.

Anyway I just finished off the last disc and interestingly they did include the missing scene from "Dude Where's My Ranch?" Jean acknowledges it did in fact air in the episode and did not know why it wasn't included on the DVD version of the episode. It says after that that the revised Season 14 blu-ray set should have it.

Anyway I just finished off the last disc and interestingly they did include the missing scene from "Dude Where's My Ranch?" Jean acknowledges it did in fact air in the episode and did not know why it wasn't included on the DVD version of the episode. It says after that that the revised Season 14 blu-ray set should have it.

what missing scene?

The joke involving Cookie's(or whatever the old dude's name was) grave/sudden death. The version of the episode on the initial Season 14 sets didn't have it even though it wasn't even a deleted scene, it actually aired in the episode.

It surprised me at least and was a nice gesture. As I said it also implies that the "revised" version of the episode is now on the Season 14 blu-ray sets.

I don't own it/never watched that dvd version of it, but from what I remember reading no it didn't. I believe the speculation on here was that they likely took a syndication version of the episode with that cut out and used it on that Christmas dvd then again on the initial Season 14 set. Again, I could be mistaken though.

Back