NEW ERA

Status
Not open for further replies.
out of curiosity, "Nazi's on Tap" is the only "lost" Simpsons segment/episode, and it was never produced (meaning it isn't technically 'lost'), right?

EDIT: Yes, I realize that Bart's Dead, posted above, is fake.
well, there's this thing that only aired once:

The third Fox airing (4/30/92), which was the date of the Cosby Show finale, concluded with the following clip:

Close-up of the Simpsons' television: a picture of Bill Cosby with the legend "The Cosby Show / 1984-1992".
Homer: Little Theo. You grew up before our eyes.
Bart: Hey, Dad, how come they're taking The Cosby Show off the air?
Homer: Because Mr. Cosby wanted to stop before the quality suffered.
Bart: Quality, schmality! If I had a TV show, I'd run that sucker into the ground!
Homer: [patting Bart on the back] Amen, boy. Amen.

thank you arii for your honesty :)

for some reason i hafta browse another board to get good opinions & advice about this place. and god dammit i'm gonna fix this place for guys like eddie & kevin or i'll die trying

okay now all of this anti-Simpsons stuff is just getting really silly

I agree with this. I'm fine with the overall shift, but rebranding it as just "NHC" makes it look like the website is ashamed of its own name. What's the point of having the site being called nohomers.net, if we're afraid of calling it by its name?

That doesn't change the fact that the domain name is still nohomers.net, a reference from a cartoon series. We can talk about whatever we want on the forums, but the domain is still No Homers. Let's just call a spade a spade.

yea true... screw it, we'll try the name change again in another six months ;)

Holy Shit!!!

Was I dreaming or was the board called NHC for a few seconds...

Freaked me the fuck out.

i have to say, I don't really understand the vocal hatred of the simpsons here sometimes.

bored with it? sure
disgusted with it? absolutely

but so many ot posters here just go that extra mile and say they hate the show that it kind of amazes me

I think the majority of it has to do with the fact that almost all of the ot posters at one point really loved the show, and hate what it has become and what it stands for now

i find watching new simpsons episodes pretty depressing considering what it used to be. i didnt really like to be reminded of that every time i logged on but whatever that's my own doing for bothering to log on

it's pretty stupid and weird that a very small minority of the board were discussing some terrible show and the board was still dedicated to and is still named after it. the simpsons used to be brilliant and theres plenty of discussion to be had about that time but not a whole board's worth of discussion. the majority of discussion here is the off topic community and it seems much more appropriate for the board to focus on that. just wanted to say good job or whatever. i honestly dont give a shit about the name at all even if i think "NHC" would be classy.

though i reckon the little homer logo should be taken out if this isn't a simpsons board

Last edited:
and another thing!

i know i just said good job but its ridiculous to say its no longer a simpsons board when all the simpsons forums are all still there but just subforums in a bigger forum called ANIMATION which is at the head of the navigation thingy.. so what are we an animation board over there now? weird

i understand this can't all happen overnight...

Last edited:
^ sorry you'll have to wait your turn. some kid is in here asking about chocolate microscopes.

and other thing!

i know i just said good job but its ridiculous to say its no longer a simpsons board when all the simpsons forums are all still there but just subforums in a bigger forum called ANIMATION which is at the head of the navigation thingy.. so what are we an animation board over there now? weird

i understand this can't all happen overnight...

actually i agree completely.

at this moment two of the simpsons subforums are being considered for removal, due to a lack of activity (noticed well before any of these changes).

also animation's at the top because the simpsons forum needs to be near the top right now, until our members get used to this no longer being a simpsons-focused board. it'll eventually be moved towards the middle or even into a/v. too many changes all at once would piss off too many people. so you're right, all this can't happen overnight.

also the current forum structure of the a/v section is not a final decision by any means. we're going to see how active the forums are in the near future, and if they're not generating enough discussion they'll get merged again (tv & film, for example).

so anyway, apologies for this transition phase of the nhc. there was no way possible for this shakeup to be made easily. in all honesty the vast amount of changes we needed to make during the upgrade from vbulletin 3 to vbulletin 4 did catch us off guard, and sorry for being somewhat unprepared.

and, to reply to several people, i don't get how the logo is embarassing and/or isn't fitting anymore for this board. first off, if someone was staring at your monitor from a distance they probably couldn't even identify homer in the graphic. also the name isn't a reference to the current simpsons episodes, it's a nod to one of the greatest episodes of one of the best television shows of the 1990s. i still love THAT show, and when i think of "no homers" i'm not thinking about the current episodes i don't watch. i think about laughing my ass off back in 1995 to something truly brilliant. the simpsons was entertainment at its finest for many of us growing up and as a forum dedicated to entertainment/popular culture, a reference to the golden era of the simpsons is fitting.... and in many years will be obscure and pretty cool.

I liked the "NHC" banner :gatorshrug:

But I totally agree Eric about the "No Homers" thing. I guess I understand why calling the board "NHC" might seem weird though.

Last edited:
deleting subforums of the Simpsons section seems offputting. is moderating them such a big deal that you want to make the statement that, more than just announcing that their discussions and history contributing to their part of the board is no longer encouraged or the focus, we want them to stop coming here to compare favorite episodes or get nerdy about their doll collections with their NHC e-quaintances?

shift[_____]ing the board's philosophy or community interest by marginalizing Simpsons nerds through the site map or whatever is one thing -- and I can see and to enough of an extent agree with the motivations for that change, but this looks like an aggressive "GET OUT" that accomplishes little except to make sure that we don't have anyone who's weird enough to be an avid collector/tournamentor polluting the collective personality.

"NHC" was fine.

For the most part, though, all these people constantly whining about the site name/graphic are pretty much doing the same thing they claim the "nerds" are, in regards to overreaction towards change. I mean, I get that it's a big deal and all... oh, wait, never mind.

Eric... be sure I don't want to question your motivations for these new movements, the board is losing its previous focus and, while it's always difficult to get used to a radical change of view, I can't disagree with what is the main reason for your measures.

But please, PLEASE, don't rush. It's not time for considering yet NHC losing totally its Simpsons basis, there is still a big community of boarders -much smaller than two or three years ago, that's for sure, but it's not something you can put on ignore so easily- who post regularly in that part of the board. Your measures till now seem to point a clear direction, and I won't act against it if that's how you see thing should develop here, but thinking that far at this time is, with all my respect for your model administration, insane.

IMO, the Simpsons-boarders don't need to get used to the new mind of the board, it's the site who should accomplish the demands of their users. And, at this point, considering a future deadline to make disappear a part of the board with such a huge history and a still important participation despite its decline through these last years is, at least, excessive.

the board is fine exactly how it is now. only change it when the state of the board appears to demand it, like we've just done.

deleting subforums of the Simpsons section seems offputting. is moderating them such a big deal that you want to make the statement that, more than just announcing that their discussions and history contributing to their part of the board is no longer encouraged or the focus, we want them to stop coming here to compare favorite episodes or get nerdy about their doll collections with their NHC e-quaintances?

shift[_____]ing the board's philosophy or community interest by marginalizing Simpsons nerds through the site map or whatever is one thing -- and I can see and to enough of an extent agree with the motivations for that change, but this looks like an aggressive "GET OUT" that accomplishes little except to make sure that we don't have anyone who's weird enough to be an avid collector/tournamentor polluting the collective personality.

honestly I don't see how people are jumping to these kind of conclusions. the content is still all the same. people find out about this place via the simpsons and come here for its simpsons sections. I'd say it's more inviting than it is exclusionary to widen the board's scope. this place's focus has been slipping away from the simpsons for years, so what if the creators have decided to acknowledge that and even encourage more people to come for the other things the board does?

as for the deletion of subsections, why is it necessary that we keep forums we can't justify the existence of? is a post or two every day justification? I don't think it is. take a look at the android's dungeon. 11 threads that have been posted in in the last month. I don't think that's traffic worthy of its own forum. and if we deleted it, people wouldn't stop making threads about the dvds, comics and action figures. they'd just have somewhere else to make them. giving this its own forum obviously isn't encouraging people to make those kind of threads, so how is deleting the forum going to discourage them?

really, how anyone could see these changes as anything other than to improve their experience is beyond me.

Someone who regularly posts in the Simpsons sections suggested merging two redundant forums and/or two stale forums. And all we're doing is taking it into consideration since we've also noticed it before, basically. It's not really a "oh, good, an excuse to get rid of these!" type thing. We're assessing how much it would help to make that change. So it's a good thing that people are speaking up in this thread. Instead of complaining on another message board and somehow expecting it to help anything here.

i said we were considering removing them (or merging them, as kupo said); nothing's been decided yet. the fanworks & episode discussion sections are safe.

some of the simpsons sub-forums themselves aren't what's embarassing, it's the noticeable lack of discussion in them over the past year (see springfield university, for example) that may not justify their existence anymore. and it would actually be sad to remove the android's dungeon as that was once a busy category of forums here from 2001-2004.

also i've added a note to the bottom of the first post here stating that the forum format here is obviously not finalized and will definitely change in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back