My new site

Darkel

villain
I'll be making a new freewebs opinionated simpsons fan site in the next couple of days. I'll have reviews, editorials , and thats pretty much it. I'll post up the address once I've started

Very well done. Like the way the forum is organized.

Later on you should probably get a .com domain, a paid host and install a forum script. Not that hard to do it your self. If you ever need any help with that feel free to PM me.

that costs money hehe . Thanks for the advice

Really not that much. You would be surprised. For just a starter site and host.

Domain name - (About $8 a year)
Forum Script - (Usually free with hosting, Phpbb is free) If not VBulletin is like $50 a year.
Good Starter host - $10 a month.

So add that up it's cheap. Only bill you have to worry about is the $10 a month hosting bill. Yeah maybe building up members would be a cool idea before paying for a host!!!

Forum Script - (Usually free with hosting, Phpbb is free) If not VBulletin is like $50 a year.
I'd actually advise against both. phpBB, while is free, also has a very bad reputation for very nasty security issues.

vBulletin, is what the NHC is powered by, and it does a decent job, the cost is a major factor. It is actually $100 per year for a Leased license, which permits one year of upgrades, and $180 for an owned licence which still provides one year of upgrades which will be available at $40 after the first year and within 60 days of the licence expiring), the difference is that with an owned licence you can keep the forum running after the licence has expired while with a leased one you can not.

For the best solution though, I would say SMF, at http://simplemachines.org, and not because I work for them as a staff member. They have the most customisable template system, it's easy to install and configure, and comes with loads of features as standard and can easily be modded with our Package Manager. It also has the best known security out of the top five BB scripts (phpBB, MyBB, SMF, vB and IPB), just look on any security website. And all for the low, low price of zero dollars.

Of course, I cant tell you which one you should go with, so when you do decide to expand outwards into your own host, and STILL want a forum, play with all the solutions you have available to you, and see which one you like best.

Hey, I joined ^_^
I started a website but I stopped it becuase I didn't have time to work on it. Also, my Forum got alot of spambots so yeah. I'll look forward to checking out your site ^_^

I have joined. It's pretty good and thanks again for putting my episode ideas on there. I reccommend that other people join as well.

Last edited:
Back