Music that blew your mind as a kid

2000MPHGirl

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
I mean like, little little kid, not in the sense of like, hearing MBV when you're 12 or something, more so when you hear music outside of Pattycake. For me, it's gotta be funkytown.

I remember being 8 or 9 and my dad played The Logical Song by Supertramp in the car and it absolutely blew me away. I don't know why it was that song in particular but damn is it still a banger.

I think the first song I ever fell in love with was the Hamsterdance Song at maybe 5-6 years old. I first heard it on Music Choice's Radio Disney channel, and I got a kick of it. I even had a CD/DVD combo of Radio Disney songs with that song on it, though I don't remember playing the CD more than a few times, if that. I still have the DVD part, which I've never watched.

Sometime later, I heard Cars by Gary Numan, which also became one of my favorites. It just wowed me as a kid.

Bring Me to Life by Evanescence, New Divide by Linkin Park and This Is War by 30 Seconds to Mars were the most badass songs ever when I was like 7. Revealing my age there but ya

A bit later but i thought all those brostep crossover hits were the most awesome thing in 3rd/4th grade. Professional Griefers by Deadmau5 is one i remember well

Don’t recall a specific song, but the monkees was the first band I got into. This was the early 80s and mtv had just started so they didn’t have a ton of content and would show old monkees episodes on loop. It caused a bit of a monkees revival in general, and I even saw them live (sans mike nesmith)

edit: lol this is probably the first show i ever attended (though they played wolf trap again on that tour so maybe not)

Last edited:
One of those songs that I actually really enjoyed as a kid was "Goodbye Earl" by The Chicks (originally Dixie Chicks). The first time I heard it was when I was little, but I immediately liked it once in a while in my lifetime. There are some others, like many songs by Taylor Swift, "Dark Horse" by Katy Perry, "Video Killed the Radio Star" by The Buggles, I think, "Hold Me Now" by the Thompson Twins, "Come on Elieen", "Kids in America" by Kim Wilde, "Relax, Don't Do It", many Heart songs, "Borderline" by Madonna, etc. that were bangers in my childhood, so yeah.

The entire P.U.L.S.E. concert film by Pink Floyd on VHS when I was just 4 years old. A lifelong passion ignited that day.

On that note, the 2018 remix of Animals was released today and it's *chef kiss*.

The entire P.U.L.S.E. concert film by Pink Floyd on VHS when I was just 4 years old. A lifelong passion ignited that day.

On that note, the 2018 remix of Animals was released today and it's *chef kiss*.
Too bad that Waters, especially lately, is a complete and utter tool. The man still can't understand its about the music. Without Gilmour, Mason and Wright his music wouldn't have been nothing. The band name was Pink Floyd, not Roger Waters and PF.

Animals is not OK one of my favorite albums. but I do like the song Sheep.

I remember being 8 or 9 and my dad played The Logical Song by Supertramp in the car and it absolutely blew me away. I don't know why it was that song in particular but damn is it still a banger.
Actually the whole album is great. My dad use to play it when we cleaned the house on the weekend when my sister and I were your. Take the Long Way Home was a song I remember quiet fondly.

My dad was born right when rock started. Classic R&B, oldies, big band, classical, The Beatles, classic rock and etc...

I remember listening to the Beatles In my old backyard in a tent when I was in the first or second grade. I picked up my dad's Beatles Greatest hits on a blank cassette, red on side one, blue on side two, and heard l am the Walrus and Hello Goodbye. I thought the interlude in Walrus was a mistake. The tape must be wrong. It still gets me. Paul knew how to write melody. It was his strength. Still is. However, Paul and Lennon needed each other. Best music team ever. I could go into whose to blame and whatnot. No it wasn't Yoko and it's fucking bullshit to say it was misogynistic since everyone blamed her. However, the wives and girlfriends shouldn't have been in the studio at all. My point is I think if they took a break before the White Album the might have stayed together. But if frogs had wings it wouldn't bump his ass when it hopped.

Too bad that Waters, especially lately, is a complete and utter tool.
100% agree. It's a real shame what's happened over the years, but especially in very recent times.

Animals never really clicked for me sonically before the remix dropped, but it has now. I must say, I absolutely love it.

Last edited:
Back