Modern Simpsons Hate

Since someone made a similar thread, in which people who liked Modern Simpsons could post their opinions there, I am posting this hate, for all the people who hate Modern Simpsons. Here’s an example. In Bart’s Not Dead, they made fun of Jesus Christ, which is just insulting to Christians. Not only that, he also beat up Bart Simpson. To be fair, he deserved it for being a borderline sociopath, but still, this is no way to make fun of Jesus Christ. Now, share your hatred for Modern Simpsons.

Honestly, modern Simpsons is perfectly fine when it puts in the work and tells more grounded, emotional stories. Here's probably one of the best examples:
The entire quality of the show fell apart when it began valuing celebrities and slapstick humour over consistent characterization. But in truth, The Simpsons doesn't need to be as funny as the golden years, all it really needs is a solid emotional core so we care about the characters. Look at King of the Hill. It was never as funny as The Simpsons in its heyday, but because it took the characters seriously and wasn't afraid to take them seriously, each season is amazing.

So I don't really dislike modern Simpsons as such. I just think they need to take their time, and actually reconnect with who the main cast are, and tell more sedate stories where the comedy comes from their personalities. I mean, they've proven they can do it, so they've clearly got the talent.

Modern Simpsons is fine, it's just because the show has been going to so long and created some of the best quality TV in their classic seasons people compare to that all that time but they're still great in my opinion.

Don't we already have Dead Homers Society and numerous other threads around here for this?

Either way, I honestly consider all seasons past 10 or so to be below-average to awful (23 and 24). The show has, by means of its overly long-running state, essentially degraded in these stages:
Season 9: First season to feature weak episodes. Story coherency begins to slip. Origin of Jerkass Homer.
Season 10: The beginning of the full-force decline. A major drop from season 9 and dominated by Scully's vacuous wackiness intemingled with fleeting moments of classic Simpsons. Jerkass Homer becomes the centre of the show's attention.
Season 11: The death of the show's quality. The wackiness is further increased and the remainder of the cast begin their flanderization.
Season 12: The Scully era reaches its nadir, with incoherent plots and an absurdly obnoxious tone.
Season 13: Al Jean returns, but worsens the show in some ways, replacing the zaniness of the Scully era with crushing blandness and safeness which render the episodes less watchable.
Seasons 14-16: The show attempts to return to the classic formula, with several plots being conceptually more promising than the Scully era, yet the execution and humour of the show gradually dies even further, leaving a painfully unfunny and sterile mess.
Seasons 17 - 19: The extinguishing of any remaining hope for the show. The episodes degenerate into white noise/dullness.
Seasons 20-24: The deepest, darkest recess of the show's run. Virtually all the humanity has now vanished in favour of dull humour, painfully written dialogue and awkward execution.
Seasons 25 - 30: Has yet to fully reach the worst of seasons 20-24 (although season 28 is a close contender), but remains similarly bland. The show has essentially ceased being 'entertaiment' - to me, the show has basically devolved into a bunch of ideas and scenes pasted into a 20-minute compilation to feed FOX's demands. Some may contest that the early Jean (13-16) seasons mark an improvement over Scully's, which I can understand, although there seems to be some intangible quality about even the season 13 Jean episodes which create a soulless, safe air to the extent where they become genuinely difficult to watch without becoming drowsy. Wasn't this once a show which balanced innocuous plots like Lisa getting a rival with amazing memorable gags like Milhouse being pursued by the FBI and Ralph's bizarre victory?

Last edited:
I think modern simpsons is okay, but lacks some of the witty dialogue from the classic years. Also the many travel episodes are irritating and often just seem like PR shilling for the town or country they visit.

I think modern Simpsons can be good when the writers are actually trying. Good example: Halloween of Horror, Gone Boy, Holidays of Future Passed, Barthood, and a couple more episodes(mostly Selman stuff).

No. Lisa is wrong. She is politically correct, and that’s a bad thing! Everyone should be half politically correct and half politically inncorrect. That’s how it should be! Anyways, why are you bringing this subject here? Take it somewhere else because that’s thread derailment.

They need to fix the voice acting for characters like Marge, Lisa and Bart. And they should stop making Maggie a Mary Sue and stop making Lisa an annoying liberal.

How the fuck is Maggie a Mary-Sue?

tenor.gif

wtf is "half politically correct"? is that like "I should be able to tell racist jokes once in a while"

Lisa's characterisation has actually been pretty consistent. It's Marge who's the biggest casualty. How the Hell do you transform this gentle, intelligent, surprisingly savvy woman into an emotionally manipulative religious fanatic? And maybe the show does side with Lisa a little, but NOTHING on the level it does with Marge, who in the modern show consistently acts far worse than her daughter. No lie, watch some episodes and just see how often Marge gets her way by crying. It's especially creepy when she does it to Lisa, because it really does feel like a parent manipulating their daughters emotions to win an argument.

As I said, just sort out the characters and things will be fine. They shouldn't treat their own creations as throwaway garbage just because it's animated, they should take the characters and their emotional core seriously, because that's the only way you can write decent or funny stories. Well, unless you actually like anarchic slapstick comedy, which is a perfectly legitimate opinion to hold, but that genre doesn't lend itself well to creating any kind of emotional investment in the audience.

Like Reliable Red Barclay, we need stakes!

Not to mention Marge has a very annoying voice nowadays. It is so aggravating to listen to, it can give Bubsy a run for his money. Also, Maggie is a Mary Sue because of the currently defunct wikis called the Terrible TV Shows Wiki and the Loathsome Characters Wiki. Also, half politically correct means you aren’t an SJW. SJWs are not only ruining the Simpsons, they are also ruining everything else.

Also, let’s list some memorable modern Marge quotes, shall we?

DAAAAAH! (The Fight Before Christmas)
OOOOOHHHH! (The Food Wife)
Other screams and other stuff said by Marge

Urgh! I hate that voice! What the hell happened behind the scenes?! Classic Marge’s screaming was more tolerable than this!

Not to mention Marge has a very annoying voice nowadays. It is so aggravating to listen to, it can give Bubsy a run for his money. Also, Maggie is a Mary Sue because of the currently defunct wikis called the Terrible TV Shows Wiki and the Loathsome Characters Wiki. Also, half politically correct means you aren’t an SJW. SJWs are not only ruining the Simpsons, they are also ruining everything else.
The internet has poisoned your young feeble little mind

And according to infowars, an Internet source, Clinton is involved in a child sex ring. I guess it's definitely true because the website says so.

Back