Mental health thread (general)

kes

the gay agender
We've had aspie and depression threads, but I think this board needs an actual general mental health thread.

Me: diagnosed ASD, anxiety, depression // undiagnosed dyspraxia, ADD

Jesus Christ, I got halfway through writing this post, went to do something else for five minutes, and completely lost interest in writing it. I'm gonna post anyway because most likely someone understands the experience.

Oh yeah, I meant to post that I didn't realise I dissociate until very recently. It is hard to spot. I look back on IMs like WHO WROTE THAT UUUUUGH UR SO UNNECESSARY THEY CAN'T POSSIBLY STILL LIKE U.

*triple posts*

This is the insanity thread!

Undiagnosed, but I likely have seasonal depression, which comes up frequently during the winter season.

I often have depression issues, and I have been diagnosed with seasonal affective disorder. I have concerns about PTSD, but I have never been diagnosed. I do worry about cyclothymia, but I do feel like a bit of a hypochondriac with that one since anything I've read has indicated that it's fairly uncommon. I have some anxiety and anger issues, but both of those things are more likely in relation to depression/SAD and PTSD than they are an issue in their own right.

I have been to counselling, will attend group counselling eventually if the organisation ever finds a group for me, and I have been on medication. I have physical health problems that make my mental health problems worse, and my mental health problems make my physical problems worse. I am on medication for the physical health problems, which I mention since staying physically healthy means that those mental health problems aren't being exacerbated. I haven't been doing well physically though and given that it's winter... well, it's been rough.

I am actually about to run out of meds and my doctor wouldn't see me the day I had an appointment. I told the receptionist to die in a fire and to go fuck herself because mental health problems don't make me act like a sane person? She wanted to rebook a month away even though I will run out in a couple days. Got her to rebook for this week. Still going to run out before I see her, and I imagine not having any medication of any kind for a few days is not going to help the depression.

Asperger Syndrome, Nonverbal Learning Disability, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Tourette Syndrome, Auditory Processing Disorder, alexithymia, depression, dysgraphia, prosopagnosia.

My mental state is not well.

Depressed, suicidal, bipolar, ADD, all of that junk. Not diagnosed with any of it, so it could all just be bullshit I'm making up in my head, but those are the 4 I feel happening to me for most of my days.

I've been diagnosed with OCD (fairly recently), though it's comparatively mild and I don't take any medication for it. However, I've shown signs of OCD since I was a toddler and it explains a lot of the problems I've had over the years. It was in early high school when I first suspected I had it, but I was always afraid to be diagnosed. It's at least nice now to officially put a name to something that's been "off" about me my entire life.

I also have some kind of anxiety issues, and I've experienced panic attacks before, though thankfully I haven't had one in almost five years now.

I am actually about to run out of meds and my doctor wouldn't see me the day I had an appointment. I told the receptionist to die in a fire and to go fuck herself because mental health problems don't make me act like a sane person? She wanted to rebook a month away even though I will run out in a couple days. Got her to rebook for this week. Still going to run out before I see her, and I imagine not having any medication of any kind for a few days is not going to help the depression.

That's horrendous. Over here you can ask for whichever doctor is in who's met you before to sign a prescription and hand it in to the pharmacy usually the same day. At most three days, definitely no appointment with a specific doctor necessary just to get more meds.

i was diagnosed with dyspraxia when i was about 3 or 4, but i didn't find out until i was 12, i remember being quite pissed off w/ my parents for not telling me. i don't really care now tbh.

i was diagnosed with aspergers when i was 11, and i was told soon afterwards.

i've had many problems with depression over the years and i've gone to therapy 4 times, which was helpful

Diagnosed: Bipolar I with very bad anxiety, ADHD, OCD (Pure O type, though I do have mild rituals), EDNOS (in recovery), PTSD, addiction. Social anxiety and agoraphobia as a result of these things.

My doctor recently bumped me up to 450 mg of bupropion. I'm not really supposed to be taking this, but my insurance won't let me have my Ativan back until I show I've tried at least two more medications with no positive results. Apparently they don't care about my long medical history showing I've been put on everything except MAOIs.

Last edited:
Paddlin That is also outrageous. I wanna tell these things to the people who think we can manage without the NHS. My friend still manages to get diazepam ffs, not much but... at all. It's a far cry from your situation.

Paddlin That is also outrageous. I wanna tell these things to the people who think we can manage without the NHS. My friend still manages to get diazepam ffs, not much but... at all. It's a far cry from your situation.

They had no problem covering my diazepam and lorazepam in the past, but they won't cover any benzo if you are prescribed an opiate unless you are taking the benzo for seizures or have a very pressing medical need. The bullshit "War on Drugs" is also the reason why I had to fight for 4 months to get my hydrocodone covered.

Insightful. I'd love to know more about the medical situation over there. Lotta unwarranted complaining on the British end.

Insightful. I'd love to know more about the medical situation over there. Lotta unwarranted complaining on the British end.

I'm lucky enough to live in one of the states that did not reject Medicaid expansion. Even with the Affordable Care Act and prescription savings programs a lot of people are still unable to get treatment.

My coverage is actually pretty good. Most prescriptions are only $1, I am covered for up to 30 days of inpatient treatment, and I'm covered for 30 days of rehab.

My understanding of the ACA is that it's a not-very-good patchwork solution and that Sanders' proposal of expanding Medicare would be easier and simpler (and cheaper) for people. I mean, I know I can't afford healthcare on it, even with the cheapest plan. :(

Anyway... my mental health... I haven't been diagnosed with anything but I feel depressed a lot of the time. I don't know how to pull myself out of it, really, so i just wait for it to pass.

That's horrendous. Over here you can ask for whichever doctor is in who's met you before to sign a prescription and hand it in to the pharmacy usually the same day. At most three days, definitely no appointment with a specific doctor necessary just to get more meds.

The doctor would not see me at all, and it way the fuck out for me to just walk in without an appointment anyway. I need a change of dosage and possibly new prescriptions altogether, so I require a new appointment.

Apt timing for this thread, because I have been having endless meltdowns all day.

[MENTION=65804]ThatsAPaddlin[/MENTION] Prescriptions are a dollar? That's on your insurance, right? How much does one typically pay for insurance? Our prescriptions are something like £8.50 per item but you can get a prepaid card to cover the year. That's without insurance.

[MENTION=49962]Smiling Politely[/MENTION] *hugs* That was me last week. Dear God, it sucks.

[MENTION=45944]kes[/MENTION] That's through my Medicaid insurance (UnitedHealthcare community plan). Under the state Medicaid plan, most prescriptions are $3. There are many programs which support free or greatly reduced diabetic supplies and antibiotics. I don't pay for Medicaid, it's a social program offered to those who fall below the poverty line or are disabled. Utter twits would say I'm a leech, but I paid into this system for years when I was working.

Without insurance, my migraine medicine (topamax) alone is $130... with the prescription discount.

How come everyone today is diagnosed somewhere in the autism spectrum? I am to, aspergers, but with so many people it seems like having it is the norm.

How come everyone today is diagnosed somewhere in the autism spectrum? I am to, aspergers, but with so many people it seems like having it is the norm.

People on the spectrum are more likely to gather at fandom sites. We have better knowledge of autism today, hence more people being diagnosed. I wish my parents had me tested because I have such obvious signs, like hand flapping, but it was the 80s and people only were really aware of severe autism. I can't really blame them for being ignorant because society was ignorant.

Yeah, we're more likely to gather at fandom sites because we have intense special interests. One of my special interests is The Simpsons, which is why I'm here. Another special interest is the St. Louis Cardinals, which is why I use a forum for fans of that team.

Attended uni for the first time in weeks. They've now introduced a system where they scan our student cards to confirm attendance. They have unfortunately not introduced a system where the abled assholes who show up and gossip the entire way through have their attendance struck off. So great; we're now incentivising people who might otherwise take their annoying selves elsewhere for the session, to flop down and ruin it for the rest of us. Absolutely raging. It takes so much for me to come in, and while I can just about tolerate it taking two hours to disseminate fifteen minutes' worth of information (on the lecturer's part), I will not stand for the actions of my fellow students ensuring that my attendance has negative value anywhere outside an administrative context. My lecturer today actually told me he has Parkinson's by way of apology for talking so quietly that I had to draw attention to myself by moving to the front. Neither of us should have to have done that.

I haven't been officially diagnosed with anything but have suffered depression for some time, likely since childhood as I had weight/shyness issues and went to a therapist in my teens. I definitely still suffer from it and anxiety. I very briefly took Effexor a few years ago given my by PCP for depression which seemed to perk me up enough to make small changes. My parents (and brother certainly) suffer from something undiagnosed as well based on their behaviors but come from a place where suggesting such a thing is uncalled for and I'm not dealing w that shit right now.

I definitely need to go to therapy to try to hash things out that are weighing me down/keeping me chained to my massive fears and worries that constantly torture me (one of those things being the constant fear we've fucked Amy up with our mental shit), but that's the hard step that still needs to be taken. What's harder now is the distinct lack of time I have compared to before. Late night therapy sessions don't sound fun to me and not a lot of people seem available on the weekend.

My husband has a pretty cool therapist he has to see for his bipolar disorder and whatnot, but I'm not sure if I'll try to sign up with her or someone different. I just hope that whoever I go to can convince my parents to hear what I have to say without drowning in defensiveness and hating me for opening my mouth.

From advicefromsurvivors.tumblr.com

Being abused can seriously affect your ability to distinguish between “not obviously pleased” and “obviously displeased” because abusers go from Neutral to Hostile for absolutely no discernible reason, and eventually you start worrying that everyone is going to be like that and you start feeling this urge to make absolutely sure that the people you actually care about aren’t mad or upset, because to you, “there’s no evidence that they’re not angry” is the same as “there’s evidence that they are angry”

I do that so much, to the point where I finally do upset my otherwise patient SO. I will ask so many variations of "Are you mad?" "Well maybe not mad, but upset?" "Are you sure?" "I won't make a big thing of it if you just tell me." "What can I do to fix things?"

Back