Matt Selman: The worst Simpsons showrunner ever!

Actually, as it was redacted, the thread is about the quality of Matt Selman as showrunner and the absence of couch gags is only his argument to say he is the worst, lol. The thread is not about couch gags.
sarcasm detector not working today...? I thought it was obvious enough lmao

Last edited:
Actually, as it was redacted, the thread is about the quality of Matt Selman as showrunner and the absence of couch gags is only his argument to say he is the worst, lol. The thread is not about couch gags.

In a way I agree, even with the sarcasm in @Wire hangers post. The thread moved past the lack of couch gags and the intro being the reason for the reason Matt Selman might be the "worst showrunner ever" and got to the real heart of the matter, but yeah, the lack of the abeformentioned two is a valid discussion as well (in which case I direct you to my first post in this thread).

Woah I haven't check in on The Simpsons in a while, Al Jean finally stepped down? lmao, awesome! Show might be really good again.

He didn’t really “step down” per se, he just got picked to direct a new series of Simpsons shorts, leaving Selman to show run most of the episodes. There will still be the occasional show with Jean at the helm.

In many cases, the Matt Selman -showrun episodes I find to be the most memorable of those seasons. Prime examples include "A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again," "The Day the Earth Stood Cool," "Halloween of Horror," "The Town" and "Bart vs. Itchy and Scratchy". Sure, Selman still has some duds, but other times they are still a step up above the solo Al Jean episodes. Even the animation is noticeably higher quality in the Selman episodes, most of the time.
As for the lack of opening gags, sometimes I don't mind that, as it is a somewhat classy way to open an episode, but I do miss them, even if much of the opening has inferior animation that keeps shifting in quality. But I enjoy when a Selman episode has a nice short opening incorporating at least one of the gags; "A Totally Fun Thing..." had it go right from "THE SIMPSONS" logo in the clouds to a nice quick couch gag (no driveway scene), and I also recall one that went right from the logo to Bart writing on the chalkboard in the classroom and then going right to the driveway, like many Season 5 to 7 episodes opened. Maybe as long as Matt Selman is going to showrun more episodes, he can do those kind of shorter intros more?

I'm sorry but that's a dumb reason to hate a show runner. First of all: Mirkin and Okaley/Weinstein sometimes skipped the chalk board gag too. And second: they, like Selman, did it because their episodes were jam packed with content, and some stuff had to be cut to maintain the 22 minute time frame. I'd take that over padded Jean episodes any day.

And by the way, I actually loathe how the couch gags during the Jean era get longer and longer. You can tell it's done to stretch to the 22 minute limit. They're visually stunning, but I wanna get to the main plot already.

@Wile E. the Brain I don't disagree with you at all, but while the episode shows how Marge is remorseful for how she exposed Sasha, we've never seen Sasha being ashamed for everything she has done to Marge, which was way worse than the exposure of Marge about her lies. If those two stage manager guys didn't appear, Marge would have had an unhappy ending, and in any case, Sasha got a happy ending despite being an asshole with Marge throughout the entire episode, despite never apologized for lying to everyone, and despite never getting a comeuppance or a redeeming moment.
That's fair, but it honestly doesn't bother me. It probably would have if Marge was left alone with an unhappy ending (or depending on the way it's executed), but Sasha not getting a comeuppance nor truly apologizing, I don't mind this choice of an ending. The truth is, not every asshole can change his behavior overnight that easily. I like that it avoids things to end up a bit too sappy, and again, that choice does make sense to me : that way, Marge gets away from people she never actually was a friend of / that never saw her as a friend of theirs, and befriends people that genuinely wants to know her and to stick around with her.

Back