Matt Groening interview in The Onion's A.V. Club

DotheBartman

SuperFriend
There's some interesting stuff here. The best is the Futurama talk (just read it....it'll make any Futurama fan grin, believe me), but he also addresses the percieved feud with Family Guy, his favorite bootleg Simpsons merchandise, and even John Swartzwelder's political opinions, among other things. Also, check out another piece they have about the best Simpsons quotes to use in everday life. Pretty amusing.

Last edited:
That was a good interview; pretty interesting. I liked the Futurama and Life in Hell stuff.

Great read. That 'Robot God' thing was interesting, I liked how specific some of their questions were.

I'm glad to see that he loved "Godfellas" - that was another favorite Futurama ep of mine. Matt always gives a great interview, and I never knew about him acting as a biographer before. That was probably the most vivid story in that interview.

Last edited:
AVC: Your Wikipedia entry says that when you moved to Los Angeles, you worked as a biographer for an elderly director. Is that true, and if so, what was it like?

MG: Yes, I worked for a 93-year-old guy. Calling him a movie director is probably a little exaggerated. It's true, he directed a few B-Westerns, but he was mostly a behind-the-scenes guy in various guises. He didn't have much of a career.

Hey, I added that!

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Matt_Groening&diff=40121386&oldid=39174714

A fantastic, enlightening interview. Any fan of Matt's work will love the insight. Much appreciated to whomever posted the link!

Thanks DTB and H_T.

So, Groening still thinks there's no end in sight. I presume Groening is already looking to extend the Seasons after Season 19.

Thanks for the link, a great read.

I did indeed love the talk about the Futurama DVD movies, and Groening seemed confident that the show could return, using Family Guy as an example.

The stuff about the LIH toys was nice too, I always love how MG mocks the fact that there has been so much merchandise produced for The Simpsons - and now Life in Hell!

MG: I look at where I am in my career and try to think, given this as my foundation, "What else can I do that's fun and will make an audience laugh?" I've got a few ideas under my belt, but now I've got some homework to do, to continue the childhood metaphor. With the Simpsons movie, Simpsons TV show, my weekly comic strip, and four Futurama DVDs, I know what I'm gonna be thinking about for the next two or three years.

I think we'll all be thinking about at least one of the above things!

Back