Marge Gamer VS Looking for Mr GoodBart

Which one ?

• Marge Gamer

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Looking for Mr GoodBart

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
Ooh, this is a tough one.
Instinctively, as someone who's played a lot of MMOs growing up [FlyFF, Rappelz, Fiesta Online, Luna Online, and now FFXIV.] I feel more of a connection towards Marge Gamer, but then I think about the whole B plot with Lisa and It just doesn't really land.

I like Lisa and I like Lisa episodes, but the B plot just doesn't stick with me. We already had a "Lisa battles an addiction" (video games, coincidentally) and gets punished for it episode at this point.

Whereas, Looking for Mr. GoodBart's A and B plots are both good and eventually meet up. I like it when cartoons do that. They both have a good conclusion.

My vote, despite wanting to go for Marge Gamer due to my own background, goes to LFMGB.

I'm going Marge Gamer because it's really a Marge and Bart episode, and as much as it is taking Marge to a new land and having her interact with it as a fish out of water, it's also applicable to almost any mom who goes through that phase where she wants to understand everything their kids do. I totally agree that the side plot with Lisa just kind of exists, but at least it ties into the theme of parents out of their element that the episode was going for.

I'm going Marge Gamer because it's really a Marge and Bart episode, and as much as it is taking Marge to a new land and having her interact with it as a fish out of water, it's also applicable to almost any mom who goes through that phase where she wants to understand everything their kids do. I totally agree that the side plot with Lisa just kind of exists, but at least it ties into the theme of parents out of their element that the episode was going for.
I love the Bart / Marge dynamic a lot in this episode. It's so sweet. It's also such a nice time capsule for how games were back then lol. MMORPGs are nothing like that anymore. I mean, they never were about cutting a player's headoff and junk, but I mean with all the UIs and stuff. I think the only thing that's close to it that's still about is RuneScape

I really like both episodes, but I ultimately voted for Looking for Mr. Goodbart as it's my favorite episode in an otherwise really lacking season, and I feel like it's a case where someone needs to stick up for the little guy as the vibe I get is that the episode is viewed unfairly for it's Pokémon Go parody angle almost immediately dating the episode.

Marge Gamer on the other hand (which I seem to recall watching when it first premiered) while good and one of my favorites of Season 18, has the Lisa plot which yeah is kinda there and Ronaldo is just random guest of the week #330, whereas both plots in Looking for Mr. Goodbart I was fine with and ultimately connected in a way that felt natural when compared to other episodes both before and after and I really liked Valerie Harper's role as the elderly woman who I was surprised to learn wasn't ever named in the episode.

I think both of those are fine episodes with their ups and downs, but I right off the bat think I'll have to settle for 'Marge Gamer' due to that interesting mother-son dynamic of Marge wanting to involve herself in something Bart is currently a fan of to his dismay (and the online multiplayer fantasy game plot hasn't dated too much so it still works) & Homer as a referee of Lisa's soccer game is a nice subplot (even though the Ronaldo cameo is completely forced and pointless, but I don't really care).

'Looking For Mr. Goodbart' has a nice plot centered around Bart having a frienship with the old photographer & the Pokemon Go parody subplot isn't too bad so it's a decent episode (remember finding it mediocre but in retrospect it's pretty alright), but I find more to like in 'Marge Gamer' overall, although I'm not sure how well it has aged. A rewatch of both is in order.

Last edited:
I realize i never explained why i chose 18.17 and not 28.20

18.17 Ronaldo Episode appealed to me because i liked both stories and it was nice to see a dynamic between Marge and Bart, definitely better than 6.08 Basket plot in Hockey Episode, 3.14 Shoes store and more recently 33.20.

I also liked the fact Homer for once, did too well in it. But 28.20 began with a ridiculous plot (OK, maybe i'm judgmental on it, but i really did not like the grandparents day) and Pokemon is more an old fashion game.

Looking for mr. Goodbart

Marge and Bart bond in Marge Gamer via online game was interesting, but analogical Homer and Lisa bond via mobile game (new times came then) was beeter. Why? In the former, the mother/son connection went of the "you killed me in video game" and wouldn't expose therefore. In the latter the bonding wasn't strong, in fact. But here there was a great dated satire on gaming, what I did miss in Gamer.

How it doesn't sound stupid, but Bart's connection with that old lady (Phoebe, and other old ladies) in Goodbart had more emotions, than with own mother in Marge Gamer. If, for example, replace the latter connection with Marge's Son Poising' main plot (from a season earlier), there would be really harder to make a choice.

If compare respective Homer and Lisa subplots - there are specific aspects in both. Here it's really tough a bit.

I realize i never explained why i chose 18.17 and not 28.20

18.17 Ronaldo Episode appealed to me because i liked both stories and it was nice to see a dynamic between Marge and Bart, definitely better than 6.08 Basket plot in Hockey Episode, 3.14 Shoes store and more recently 33.20.

I also liked the fact Homer for once, did too well in it. But 28.20 began with a ridiculous plot (OK, maybe i'm judgmental on it, but i really did not like the grandparents day) and Pokemon is more an old fashion game.
Not to sound rude but ... why did you call them 18.17 and 28.20 instead of just their episode names?

Marge gamer. It's an anagram which is cool and I welcome Marge and Bart stories as they are still a rarity.

Back