Makoto Shinkai

jal90

fan fatale of Takena Nagao
Is anyone else into the work of this guy?

I watched The Place Promised In Our Early Days recently and closed with that my experience with this author so far (I don't know if I have some short films left). Liked it, but it's hardly a memorable experience.

Would rank his titles as following:

5 Centimeters Per Second 9.5/10
A Gathering Of Cats (short film for the Ani*Kuri15 collection) 9/10
Other Worlds 9/10
She And Her Cat 8/10
Smile 7.5/10
The Place Promised In Our Early Days 7/10
Voices Of A Distant Star 6/10

A lot of short films, I know. Well, I can't say I love his work. There isn't any masterpiece out there, as close as 5 Centimeters Per Second gets. But I'm really interested on what this guy has to offer in the animation industry. Beyond the -fascinating enough- fact that he draws, animates, composes the music and even voices the characters of everything he does, there's a style that I can understand not being appreciated. He is essentially a romantic poet, his pieces, except maybe A Gathering Of Cats, all talk about love and distance, and I can see how he would be dismissed as corny and artificial. The case is I think that, even though there are some over-the-top moments (specially at the latter of the list), what Shinkai offers, his idea of love and concept of animation as a way to blend both conventional narration and intimist poetry, is something quite new for the anime standards, and with the right involvement he could finally become the already acclaimed new Miyazaki.

The Place Promised In Our Early Days and Voices Of A Distant Star show he is still lacking at narrating action and events behind the feelings, his attempts to develop a sci-fi parallel plot fall too flat and that makes the films to look like very beautiful postcards without enough content to be something more relevant. 5 Centimeters Per Second is another case, I think he for once was able to blend background action and intimism, to make a really powerful experience.

He has recently made another film, Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below (yeah, his titles are serious business :rolleyes:), and it will be a fantastic opportunity to see if his work evolves in the right direction.

Last edited:
been meaning to watch one of this guy's films

5 Centimeters Per Second looks amazing

Well, 5 Centimeters is his top work. Definitely a good choice having in account his career; so far he hasn't made anything as good as that film (a compilation of three related shorts).

But I would also recommend you to watch any of his short films; I believe She And Her Cat is in YouTube and so should be Other Worlds. They are pretty nice as introductory pieces to Shinkai, and quite short, first is 5 minutes long and the other one is just 1 minute.

Back