"Mainstream"

Robotics

魔女旅人
Now I feel that whenever this word is mentioned, or any similar words, it carries an extremely negative vibe to it. This is a relevant example I found just now, that kinda illustrates the idea:

idiot_01_zpsebf64c22.jpg

Another example would be someone claiming that "mainstream" music are bad, just to put themselves on a seemingly moral high ground and be "unique" from others, or just deeming that popularity defines quality. I kinda understand that the modern society generally encourages to embrace individuality and unique traits, but I do feel like this societal notion is becoming more of a misconception.

Honestly, I really shouldn't be worried about this because it's all subjective (blahblahblah), but it has been bothering me lately for how much I've been seeing these type of comments. I just wanted to get it off my chest (might get flamed for this).

The question is: does anyone else feel a sense of negativity when the word "mainstream" is used to describe something? What are your impressions of someone that says these things?

Shaunbadia

Resident Relic of Problematic Periods
Global Moderator
People who hate on something solely because it's popular on a mainstream level are stupid cunts who just want to feel like special snowflakes because they dislike/haven't checked out something that the majority of people are super into. Sure, just because something is big and popular doesn't automatically mean it's to the taste of everyone, and if it isn't to your tastes for whatever reason, then hey, that's totally fine, but when you're main qualm with something is "Fuck this for being popular" despite not having actually taken the time to see it for yourself and form an opinion based on the actual content within rather than the acclaim surrounding it then your opinion on the work in question holds absolutely no value.

comeau

انطلقوا أيها الغزاة!
The concepts of "mainstream" and "selling out" have always been bullshit. Like what you want, who cares how popular it may be or what corporation made it?

Bart's treehouse

withered gas station rose
The concepts of "mainstream" and "selling out" have always been bullshit
I don't really care to argue about mainstream because I don't a person who knows half a shit about anything that cares about whether or not other people like something when forming an opinion. But the premise of "selling out" is a fickle one because of the implications that come with it. Sure, a tiny rock band hitting it big after releasing an album or two on a little label ain't so bad. But when you're a band with ideals and your ideals are the centerpieces to your music it can ruin it for some fans. It doesn't make the music bad but it can make the consumers of it feel icky.

Swoony

Just pity laugh
I find it funny how being hipster now is almost becoming "mainstream". If you like popular things you're a sheep who is blindly following what other people say is good, but if you like things that are unpopular you're a black sheep who's trying to hard to be unique and edgy. You can't win either way, so just watch whatever the fuck you want to watch.

Smiling Politely

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Good is good, bad is bad, popularity is irrelevant. The only reasons I might be put off by something popular is (a) it doesn't seem like something I would enjoy anyway or (b) I am afraid it won't live up to the expectations that its popularity has given me.

Jims

I'm Bartman.
I feel like being an anti-mainstream contrarian is almost like a rite of passage. For, at some point in our lives, we are all special snowflakes that are among the select few that can identify what is and isn't good media, and the general population is too brainwashed to know the difference. If only everyone were as enlightened as we!

...Then we get boring 9-5 jobs and realized all of that is bullshit.

kupomog

d=(^_^)z
Administrator
Most of the stuff I love now is old school/golden oldies which could have all been considered mainstream in their time, I imagine.

jameselliotbrown_old

wanna live like Surströmming
Eh, I wrote out some stuff but others in the thread covered it better. I'll just say one thing:

One of my friends won't watch Breaking Bad solely due to how popular it is. Like, that's it. She WANTS to but "oh I don't want to turn into a sheep". Then overtime she'll go on rants about how it's probably awful and everyone's jumping on the bandwagon without even watching one singular episode.
urgh
This has been going on for like 4 months now

Ryan

hoot
breaking bad has been over for nearly a year now. it's kind of done and it's a fairly nascent time to watch it anyways.

basically, elliot, your friend is a moron.

friendswithsalad

direct floor engagement
disliking something BECAUSE it is popular is obviously super stupid but disliking something that is popular isn't stupid and you often get people accusing people of being contrarian/hipster just because they don't like a thing that they're "meant" to like and that is equally irritating
just like what you like

i don't feel the same way about "selling out" though but that is completely different
if you're a band/ben elton who has curated an image based on a certain set of political principles and then you do a complete u-turn when you get a bit of money/popularity then you're a prick

fuck ben elton

Irvine

Hired Goon
Ive stopped following the mainstream because a lot of mainstream stuff usually sucked in my experience.

The only things from the past. 5 years I liked were Breaking Bad and MLP: FIM and those took a LOT of convincing for me to check them out.

Last edited:

Financial Panther

Shauna stan
Global Moderator
I'm just not interested in a lot of stuff that's considered "mainstream." I don't have Intstagram or Tumblr, and I don't even know what they do. Soomething about pictures, I think. I don't have a Facebook either. I do have a Twitter, but I use it much differently than most people; namely, I almost never retweet things, and I find what most other people tweet to be ridiculous bullshit that I don't care about (coughjoemillercough).

I'm not into music or movies, and I like The Simpsons. That definitely ain't mainstream.

pilcrow

nsfw
I'm just not interested in a lot of stuff that's considered "mainstream." I don't have Intstagram or Tumblr, and I don't even know what they do. Soomething about pictures, I think. I don't have a Facebook either. I do have a Twitter, but I use it much differently than most people; namely, I almost never retweet things, and I find what most other people tweet to be ridiculous bullshit that I don't care about (coughjoemillercough).

I'm not into music or movies, and I like The Simpsons. That definitely ain't mainstream.

Ditto, but I don't have a Twitter, and I'm into some kinds of music.

Irvine

Hired Goon
Not as much as it was in the 90s, though.

I remember one member on here saying how he had watched a premiere of a season 8 episode in a bar, and everyone was excited to see The Simpsons. Years later, he watched a season 23 episode in a bar and people were like "Oh, The Simpsons. That's still on?"

Irvine

Hired Goon
Yeah.

I guess you'd have to be "hipster" to like the new episodes.

(Prepares for joke about D'ohmer bring hipster)

pilcrow

nsfw
The Simpsons is only mainstream for those who grew up during the 90s. Very few people from my generation watch the show, classic or modern.

Irvine

Hired Goon
Yeah I couldn't think of the correct term, which is why "hipster" is in quotes.

duck soup

son of a BANG son of a BOOM
The Simpsons is only mainstream for those who grew up during the 90s. Very few people from my generation watch the show, classic or modern.
what? pretty sure everybody watches the simpsons in syndication. my girlfriend's three year old niece calls it 'her show'

iambobdole1

boaking accident
I admit I tend towards hipsterism in my music choices, but that's mostly because I find what's on the radio either repetitive or boring. I don't really let what's popular define my choices, though I do sometimes shy away from things when people won't shut up about how great they are - case in point, Breaking Bad, which I have decided to check out at some point despite having very little knowledge of the show. It feels more accessible to me now that all the fuss has died down. Ditto for Game of Thrones as well.

derek

Pin Pal
the simpsons is arguably the most popular TV show to ever exist. it is shown at primetime on sunday evenings to millions of people and generates millions of dollars every year. it is popular and lucrative enough to constitute 25 seasons and beyond. like, are you guys serious?

Nitsy

Not Forgotten
I'll admit to sometimes feeling a subconscious wariness around something that is super popular. "It can't possibly be as good as people think" is usually the first thought that enters my mind. But there are definitely times where I am completely wrong about this. I would never completely refuse to experience something just because it was popular.

derek

Pin Pal
keep in mind that the general population is stupid and so wariness of things that are popular within the general population isn't really all that unwarranted. memes and buzzfeed lists are popular.

kes

the gay agender
A hipster essay

I dunno, it's actually pretty lonely being someone who can rarely pick out anything "new" that they genuinely like the sound of. I'm jealous of people who get to be part of fandoms and are really excited for the latest update - it doesn't annoy me at all; it makes me positively green. I discussed Breaking Bad quite a lot on here because I was so damn happy to appreciate something that a lot of other people also liked, even when not for the same reasons.

People who act like obscurity equals status are annoying. They tend to either introduce you and take full credit for every ounce of fun derived from the thing, or worse, refuse to introduce you, and will not discuss "their" thing until you discover it elsewhere and approach them about "this cool thing" you found - only to discover that said person could've, but wouldn't have, told you about it a year ago when you asked for a recommendation.

On the other hand, I sometimes enjoy being right about how much something is going to suck. This isn't confirmation bias because dammit, I want to like the thing, but it's the second best feeling after being wrong and actually getting to enjoy it. It can also be fun to one-up people who intentionally avoid e.g. Avatar and boast about it on Facebook, by casually adding that you also haven't seen it because it doesn't look like something you'll enjoy. Pisses them right off, because they really want to see it but they have to be "like the last person ever in the first world to watch it", or they "can't even deal". I don't think of myself as one of those people, BUT I'm basically socially confined to their company for obvious reasons.