Mafia (Results!)

should we do this? (also are you in)

• Total voters
If we're looking for some variation, I did a version once with a Typhoid Mary character. I think the rules for that go that they infect someone, then die, and the next person passes it on and so forth.

If anybody's confused about my mafia proposal, I'm here to answer any questions.

I merged [MENTION=39560]Zombies Rise from the Sea[/MENTION]'s thread into this one because I don't want to bog down the forum with two mafia threads. We can plan in here, if you want, but I don't really want to double-up (since we have a lot of game threads already).

The game definitely looks interesting, but I'm wondering if it's a little too complicated since we just only completed our "Beta Test" round. Maybe we should try 2 Mafia/1 Detective/1 Doctor/New Roles first? We'd need a lot of people to do that idea, and I don't know if doing NHC Mafia really makes sense if we have to import a bunch of people just to do it.

I was actually scared shitless that people were going to vote you off!

When I got the PM about the tie-breaker I thought "Oh god, it's going to be me and someone else" and I kept thinking about what to do. I was actually going to be tempted to vote myself off.

What would've happened if I was voted off?

You would have been dead.

We continue. And I'd be a bit pissed off that people voted off the person I knew was innocent!

Why not just play another round of this? We could (hopefully) see what it's like when we get deeper into the game.

Haha, ironically my last second add ended up being so crucial to the game after all.

Why not just play another round of this? We could (hopefully) see what it's like when we get deeper into the game.

I agree. [MENTION=39560]Zombies Rise from the Sea[/MENTION]'s thing looks cool and all, but it seems much too big/complicated to do without confusion at the moment.

What do you do?

Good question.

In this mafia game, you do the same thing as you did before; lynch the mafia but what makes it interesting is the kill roles. You have the power to kill someone evenly and it's up to you to decide who you're going to kill, it could be a civvie, it could be a baddie but who knows; that's what makes it tense. Even and Odd things are to maintain balance, you don't want everybody killing everybody at once now do you?

There are roles which block the powers, (meaning if you are a detective, you can't search someone), roles which actually revive people (thus changing up the game mechanic), roles which prevent people from voting and even roles that give information through the host; all of those things may seem complex but it's really simple, you have the power, you have the ability of deduction and you have to decide how you're going to use this power and if it's going to benefit the mafia or the bad guys.

Kill inheritence is because this is beef, everybodies always dieing and everybody seems to be continuing to kill; it does stop at a certain point so it's not excessive but it's part of the theme I'm trying to do, tons of senseless killing. BTSC is behind the scenes chat, which means that you can plan out strategies and even talk amongst themselves during the game. The complexity comes from the many ways that you use this and well; this game has a lot of ways it can go down...

I can link you to sites that do the same thing... or if nobody likes it, I could come up with a less complicated idea.

Since we're mostly newbs to the game, I don't think we should try this out now.

Maybe in the future?

Maybe... But I've played these types of mafia from the start, the complex one with powers. The powers just add a sort of strategy and complexity to a mafia game; you're still trying to determine who's bad. (and those actions do play a part in the suspicion in many of the mafia games I've played; how they react, the kinds of relationships they had, the comments left behind.)

These sites should help you out a bit:
Revolution Mafia
The Piano
DHC's Mafia Section

Good question.

In this mafia game, you do the same thing as you did before; lynch the mafia but what makes it interesting is the kill roles. You have the power to kill someone evenly and it's up to you to decide who you're going to kill, it could be a civvie, it could be a baddie but who knows; that's what makes it tense. Even and Odd things are to maintain balance, you don't want everybody killing everybody at once now do you?

There are roles which block the powers, (meaning if you are a detective, you can't search someone), roles which actually revive people (thus changing up the game mechanic), roles which prevent people from voting and even roles that give information through the host; all of those things may seem complex but it's really simple, you have the power, you have the ability of deduction and you have to decide how you're going to use this power and if it's going to benefit the mafia or the bad guys.

Kill inheritence is because this is beef, everybodies always dieing and everybody seems to be continuing to kill; it does stop at a certain point so it's not excessive but it's part of the theme I'm trying to do, tons of senseless killing. BTSC is behind the scenes chat, which means that you can plan out strategies and even talk amongst themselves during the game. The complexity comes from the many ways that you use this and well; this game has a lot of ways it can go down...

I can link you to sites that do the same thing... or if nobody likes it, I could come up with a less complicated idea.

1961030_o.gif

What about a Survivor-type game? I admit that I was sucker for Survivor when it started, and I could host it.

Although I doubt that would gather much interest

What about a Survivor-type game? I admit that I was sucker for Survivor when it started, and I could host it.

Although I doubt that would gather much interest

I'm not really a fan of Survivor style games on message boards, because those do become popularity contests and can get kind of bitter among people. I was actually nervous about Mafia, in this regard, which is why I added the disclaimer, "YOU'RE BEING VOTED FOR NOT BECAUSE WE DON'T LIKE YOU, BUT BECAUSE WE THINK YOU'RE THE MAFIA." Survivor games are just asking for trouble, in my opinion. I've actually seen a forum get torn apart over one... 4-5 people quit that board over it.

Let's give it at least another week or two before another Mafia round is started, just so this forum doesn't get Mafia Fatigue and drive the non-players crazy. Is it OK if we just agree in theory that Zombies can host the next one, and me (and others) can help hammer out the roles and how complex the thing should be. So we can get a general framework together to present for registration.

Yeah I can understand your concerns about a Survivor game. You would have to find a way for it to be purely strategic and not personal.

Still, it's an idea. Although coming up with challenges would no doubt make my head explode! But it's do-able!

And yeah [MENTION=13536]Jims[/MENTION] I'm willing to let [MENTION=39560]Zombies Rise from the Sea[/MENTION] run it. As long as it's the standard version (with an extra mafia member, obviously)

Last edited:
Back