King Of The Hill

A Firefighting We Will Go is possibly my all-time favorite. I also always thought Bobby Goes Nuts was a fan-favorite, I also don't feel too strongly one way or the other about it. It's funny to see those little pricks Chane and Clark get what's been a long time coming though.

I think I've said enough on here about my pure fucking hatred for Lucky and how his presence affected Luanne's character and the show in general. Also the repeated use and variations on his "pee-pee at Costco" thing got way more tiresome than Hank's propane stuff way more quickly. But all that aside, thanks for reminding me of Strangeness on a Train; that's one of the better late-era episodes and I do think Lucky was pretty good in that one.

Anyway, into season 6 on my current viewing. The Substitute Spanish Prisoner was the one I watched last night, I both love and hate that episode. It's fucking hilarious but in this bitter, constant-cringing way. It's so obvious they're trying to sorta gaslight people into despising Peggy more, and hey, it works. Her behavior in this one especially reminds me of people I've known which makes it that much funnier/irritating. Jeff Goldblum's villain is also one of my favorite guest performances they ever had. I loved that they brought back Jimmy Wichard but also have to wonder how the heck Peggy knows who he is and could be "familiar with his work". The only previous interaction the Hills have had with him was when he almost got Bobby killed and Hank beat him up. It's sort of jarring that after that, she'd have such a chill reaction to hanging out with him, but that's obviously not too big a deal. I feel like I remember some callbacks to the "Dr. Peggy Hill" bullshit but can't help but feel like it'd have been perversely funny if they'd made more use of that. It'd be just so perfect for her to keep flouting that she has a doctorate (kind of like her slipping the "Substitute Teacher of the Year 1996" thing into almost every conversation) and proving that she didn't learn a goddamn thing from this episode and/or is more than happy to be deceptive and ignore the details behind it in order to make herself look good - an extension of the "when you were talking I was singing a song in my head and waiting for you to stop" mindset she's got here.

Last edited:
You're fast. How many episodes did you watch a day??

Way too much. It really depended on the day, but yesterday for example I watched 12 episodes.

Anyway, into season 6 on my current viewing. The Substitute Spanish Prisoner was the one I watched last night, I both love and hate that episode. It's fucking hilarious but in this bitter, constant-cringing way. It's so obvious they're trying to sorta gaslight people into despising Peggy more, and hey, it works. Her behavior in this one especially reminds me of people I've known which makes it that much funnier/irritating. Jeff Goldblum's villain is also one of my favorite guest performances they ever had. I loved that they brought back Jimmy Wichard but also have to wonder how the heck Peggy knows who he is and could be "familiar with his work". The only previous interaction the Hills have had with him was when he almost got Bobby killed and Hank beat him up. It's sort of jarring that after that, she'd have such a chill reaction to hanging out with him, but that's obviously not too big a deal. I feel like I remember some callbacks to the "Dr. Peggy Hill" bullshit but can't help but feel like it'd have been perversely funny if they'd made more use of that. It'd be just so perfect for her to keep flouting that she has a doctorate (kind of like her slipping the "Substitute Teacher of the Year 1996" thing into almost every conversation) and proving that she didn't learn a goddamn thing from this episode and/or is more than happy to be deceptive and ignore the details behind it in order to make herself look good - an extension of the "when you were talking I was singing a song in my head and waiting for you to stop" mindset she's got here.

Personally, I love the plot of this episode. It was original and had the potential to be really funny. Some scenes were funny, but most of them were like you said cringy. This is the reason why I don't like at all this episode, probably the worst one about Peggy and her arrogance.

I'm gonna give this thread a long-overdue bump since this glorious show has recently come to Hulu nearly 5 years after it was taken off Netflix. I owned seasons 1-7 on DVD so I could always watch it here and there but it's exciting to be able to re-visit some of the episodes that came after and it still holds up wonderfully. I've been itching to talk about this show that I personally love due to its more muted style of humor that's nonetheless hilarious and living in Texas it's always read like a documentary to me.

Most recent ep I watched was appropriately enough The Perils of Polling

"Long live the people's revolution!" (giggle)

Last edited:
Back