Is it worth running the show these days?

714MatchesFound

Pin Pal
Ever since season 10, the showrunners and producers have had many ordeals to endure, from cast salary negotiations, to deaths in the cast, to the Alf Clausen fiasco, to changing from a 3-act to 4-act structure, to switching to HD, the list goes on.

And that’s on top of running the show on a daily basis.

I don’t know. Maybe the benefits, whatever those are, outweigh the obstacles, but it just doesn’t seem worth all the trouble for Jean and/or Selman to deal with.

What do you think?

I like your username btw!

The show is still watched and loved by millions. It still makes money. I think that’s what makes it “worth it” for the producers and Disney. They also probably enjoy working on the show.

Whilst it’s of course changed a lot over the years, I personally still enjoy it so I think it’s still “worth” running and I hope when it finally does end it gets a good decent ending worthy of a show that’s been on for 3 decades.

Some of the problems that the show runners face are also partly dealt with by FOX, and I do agree that it is a lot of hard work for the bits that are not dealt with by FOX, but they seem to enjoy the show, and they get a decent pay check as well, so I think it's up to the person in particular. If they don't enjoy it anymore, then it's not really worth it, but if they still like new episodes, then it is worth it, especially if you get an episode with high Acclain like The Way Of The Dog, or I, Carumbus.

The only one I feel empathy for in the Alf Clausen debacle is Alf himself. He got treated horribly.

I'd have to guess Jean and Selman think it's worth it. Especially Jean since he's been running the show for over 19 years. Otherwise he would have left the position long ago.

It's crazy to think that there was a time where showrunners only lasted two seasons because the workload caught up with them after the first year, and now, we live in a world where Al Jean's been the showrunner for literally twenty years. Not just that, he became the showrunner years after doing it the first time and was doing it by himself this time, without any help from Mike Reiss.

It's just interesting to me how things work out.

Back