Is Dead Homer Society gone? (Now back up)

i hope not, it was an important part of online simpsons history. agree or disagree with their takes, they definitely changed the discourse in significant ways. and honestly, their "books" on zombie simpsons and tapped out were fascinating reads. i really hope that content is archived at least, but it going down is pretty depressing.

Yeah, I never agreed with them either, but also noted their experience with the show vs. mine. I've explained it a few times before, when explaining their controversial stance on "Marge Be Not Proud" being the first bad non-clip show. With the difference between "The Simpsons is more realistic than Brady Bunch or Family Ties" and "The Simpsons is more realistic than Digimon or Power Rangers".

I'd hate to see it go under permanently, but also would understand why. They kinda stopped updating as frequently when COVID started, saying it put too much pressure on them.

Honestly, I think it might be what we have been fearing. If a site normally goes down like that, it could be a problem with the software, or the license for WordPress didn't get renewed, or they have sadly closed the site down. It'll be sad if it really is, the Zombie Simpsons books was fun to read through and whilst I didn't agree with all of their views, I still find them entertaining.

Sometimes we do not want to go from the office because we just do not want home. Although time spent at home are usually considered a "vacation", domestic affairs can become an additional source of stress.

Yeah, I can't take this dude seriously.. the cutoff to great simpsons is Marge not be proud? because bart as a conscience? what kind of argument is that? Is that his argument ? I just remember reading this years ago and I really couldn't believe this was someone's stance.. I can sort of understand the Principal and the pauper argument, even if I disagree.

Yeah, I can't take this dude seriously.. the cutoff to great simpsons is Marge not be proud? because bart as a conscience? what kind of argument is that? Is that his argument ? I just remember reading this years ago and I really couldn't believe this was someone's stance.. I can sort of understand the Principal and the pauper argument, even if I disagree.

It's not just Bart having a conscience, he had one in "Bart Gets an F" and their comparison, "Bart vs. Thanksgiving". It's how heavy-handed it was, seeming more like the sitcoms that The Simpsons was marketed for attempting not to be. I think another big thing was the grand gesture that fixed everything in the end, which seems like a staple of old sitcoms and The Simpsons, once again, tried to avoid that ("Secrets of a Successful Marriage", "Lisa the Greek").

Their perspective is they had been watching The Simpsons while Season 1 was airing after decades of saccharine, cookie-cutter sitcoms, so it was a breath of fresh air. Now, after seven years of doing something different, it falls back on old tropes. I can't really judge them because my experience with The Simpsons was different from theirs. Before The Simpsons, my entire TV diet was stuff like Spider-Man and Digimon and Power Rangers (talk about saccharine and cookie-cutter). I started watching The Simpsons after "Marge Be Not Proud" aired, and found The Simpsons by deliberately looking for something above the kid-vid I was watching exclusively. "Marge Be Not Proud" certainly is a lot more realistic than the show about the web-slinger who fights green guys who fly around and throw pumpkin bombs, and the kids who flew into a digital world and hold devices up to monsters that make them grow 50 times their size and give them machine guns for arms, but that was never its goal, and it's certainly no achievement.

My only real experience with old sitcoms is I watched the occasional Brady Bunch, I Love Lucy, Taxi, and Welcome Back, Kotter on Nick and Nite back in the day, a few Full House episodes while waiting for The Simpsons (that I wasn't really paying attention to) and a number of Leave it to Beaver episodes you can count on one hand on Netflix, plus someone at my work turns on Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie occasionally, but I never get to see them in full. But I don't think I watched enough of them to form an opinion on them, except maybe Brady Bunch but it's been so long and all I have is a fading memory of it. I don't know enough about these shows to really know how they functioned compared to The Simpsons or sitcoms today. I'll tell you they're probably more realistic than Spider-Man, Digimon, and Power Rangers (well, except obviously Bewitched and Jeannie), but that's what I meant by "it's no achievement".

TL;DR - They're judging The Simpsons for its dissimilarity to the sitcoms that preceded it that they were bombarded with for decades, one of its original marketing points. We're judging it simply for what it is, not really caring what it was similar to, because most of us probably don't hold the same feelings toward those older sitcoms (I know at least one of us LOVES those old sitcoms) or simply weren't familiar with them.

I should probably give them some time to truly understand their position. I have seen too many videos on youtube by people calling the exact moment the simpsons "died". All of these videos are accompanied by low-fi chill music and the narrator usually employs a tone that is far too dramatic or serious.

I understand that the simpsons were seen as subversive and even disruptive by the media when they first came on the air. I think the simpsons are closer to old sitcoms than more "modern" ones. A few episodes don't feel too far off in theme from a lot of the classic sitcoms, the difference being that animation affords more freedom, the fact that they were on fox let them use more colorful language as well.

It's difficult for me to articulate why I'm defending the episode itself, There's a lot I enjoy about it, my big issue is with the statement people like that make, that this particular moment in history is when the simpsons died. Like someone shot Archduke Ferdinand

Back