Interesting 1997 post I found - "6 Reasons Why 'The Simpsons' Is Going Downhill"

i read ats fairly regularly from about season 10 to 12 but never posted. jake is the only poster here im aware of who posted on there at that time

The fact that they would be similar is sort of inferred, but his willingness to pretty much just tell the audience that the next thing is going to be the exact same thing and they shouldn't waste their time makes it a lot funnier.

co-signed

hahahahaha

Bart as a stripper was "more repulsive than funny"? I don't care what you were exposed to before that episode aired, if you didn't find that scene hilarious you lack a sense of humor.

Last edited:
That John guy talks about The Simpsons just like my Grandma does. "Thats a terrible gross thing to make jokes about!" "It's repulsive, not funny!"

^new episode title.

incidentally, i had the pleasure of watching two new simpsons episodes on the plane from sydney to LA the other day. they were fairly nonoffensive but thoroughly mediocre. zombie simpsons strikes again. the jokes just weren't funny. at all.

with the exception of the family being out of the spa and flailing like fish out of water, but even then, it was a chuckle and then it was over.

idk. i thought i'd mention it.

This is fascinating stuff. People asked things that would be revealed years later like "what's Homer's middle name?" I'm trying to find something really retrospectively ironic. "The Simpsons should go to Florida" or something.

I'm seeing things like "what's the name of the Quicky Mart guy? Abu, Asif or something?"

In 1993 a guy I went to school with (who I still know, thanks to the magic of Facebook) said he'd never get to see The Simpsons again because it had moved to a timeslot when he wouldn't be home. I didn't know about syndication back then, and Australia's Fox-affiliated Ten network would REALLY take advantage of that come 1995 and had been known to repeat episodes before then, but I knew The Simpsons would be around long enough to have occupied multiple timeslots. I just didn't know just how long...and still none of us do.

The reference to The Day the Violence Died made me realise there's an outside chance that the show will run long enough to contradict the scene at the end as it did the entire Lisa's Wedding episode. The false expiration date Homer quotes for his credit card in Radio Bart is some time next year.

Last edited:
All I remember is that we had "real audio" instead of MP3 back in the mid 90s. I was so excited to hear unreleased Nirvana songs in 56kb/s ra format that sounded as if the guitars were underwater and the drums were cardboard boxes and beanbags.

"Al Jean and Mike Reiss are doing a bang up job running the show! I can see either of them running it for decades without it ever going stale!"

OK, I made that one up.

Last edited:
The best answer I could find for Mulaw

The mu-law is an algorithm used to compress the dynamic range for an audio signal transmitted over a telecommunication system. An algorithm is a series of calculations processed in a predefined order to within a computer or processor. The dynamic range of an audio signal is the ratio of the loudest undistorted sound over the background noise level picked up by the microphone.

i read ats fairly regularly from about season 10 to 12 but never posted. jake is the only poster here im aware of who posted on there at that time
hey-ho. i posted pretty heavily during that exact time period. you can find me in s10-12 snpp capsules. rode close to bros by the name of bill mcneal and kieran murphy. was involved with the creation of spinoff newsgroup alt.snuh. great accomplishments

BABF02 capsule said:
Chris Palm: Well, now THIS was a great breath of fresh air! Hardly any
wackiness (Maggie saving Homer was a spoof on an urban legend, so I don't
count that as wacky), a GREAT use of the townspeople, quick celebrity
cameos rather than basing an entire episode around them, great gags, and a
non-jerkarse Homer, and one who CARES about his family to boot! Highlights
included: "Not Lenny!", the Hollywood Squares spoof, and the entire third
act, ESPECIALLY the ending with Homer and Maggie bowling. Man, if all of
season 11 is going to be like this, I'll be a happy Simpsonite. The most
enjoyable ep since "Miracle on Evergreen Terrace", IMO. (A)

There was also the cut scene where Bart says: "If I had a show, I'd run that sucker into the ground."

It wasn't deleted (if that's what you mean by "cut scene"); it was an extra little coda added to the end of a repeat, looped over pre-existing animation, specifically from the Thanksgiving episode.

Back