In loving memory of.../Dedicated to... episodes

Bohdan

СЛАВА УКРАЇНІ!!! ГЕРОЯМ СЛАВА!!!
Sadly, there were much episodes, which dedicated to some person, who had died before episode aired. In most cases it meant that briefly frame of person's Simpsons character in the end of end credits. In early times it was just a relative writing within credits. The first such episode was Homer's Barbershop Quartet, which was Michael P. Schoenbrun, who died June 5, 1993 and was the executive in charge of production at Gracie Films. Sometimes, it's known the episode was dedicated after it airs - via media, or Internet date review (forgot the example)

How it would sound cynically (sorry, for God sake), but usually (in modern times, after about season 24-25) the episode can be dedicated if the person had died at least 3 days before, in Thursday. Otherwise, this "honor" (again, sorry, for God sake, if offensive) will transfer to episode on the next week. Another condition: neither of these episodes is Treehouse of Horror (again forgot the example to put). In some cases the dedication can be held even through months (recent examples: David Richardson, Marc Willmore; season 26 premiere was dedicated to Dan's Castellaneta father who dead a month earlier).

That was about "season time" - September to May. But I know, sometimes in repeats the dedications appear. Example: Repeat of Wedding for Disaster of June 28, 2009 was dedicated to Michael Jackson (guest star in banned episode), three days after his death.

Sad fact: Werking Mom is the most unlucky episode in the way of dedications I know. Its original release was dedicated to Stan Lee, who died on November 12 2018 - 6 days before, and on the July 28, 2019 rerun - to Russi Taylor, who died two days before the rerun (very special 2 days card with Martin's picture - can't find it now).

So, the aim of the tread:
1) add other examples of episodes dedicated to somebody in its original air or rerun To be honest, Wikisimpsons relative article (I just discovered through it) doesn't had all. Other examples I got from Wikipedia/ NHC forum (in recent cases). I haven't possibility to add them all, in ownself (but let's do without unserious dedications: like Homer's Phobia - the episode is dedicated to all the steel workers of America, telling them to keep reaching for that rainbow. Just serious😠).
2) for the future add dedications and "in loving memory" episode here please (how cynically it wasn't said... again). It's really interesting, actually. Let's said, tomorrow's repeat of The Star of the Backstage will be able to be dedicated to Stephen Sondheim, American composer and lyricist, who died on November 26, 2021 and had voiced himself and wrote the music to the song in the season 18 episode "Yokel Chords".
3) discuss the topic, of course

There isn't entire thread for it, cause it's really uncomfortable topic, I guess. But I think the topic is some way important for the memory of the late good people, and has right to exist.

Forgot about this thread.🙃

The Wayz We Were 26 Dec (2021) rerun was dedicated to Frank Mula, ex-writer
FHkizCUUYAIv8p3

They reran Lisa's First Word shortly after Elizabeth Taylor passed away though I can't remember if they added a dedication to her.

Well, if not this week, hopefully Pixelated & Afraid then.

Hopefully this week's episode gets dedicated to Betty White.
It will probably be dedicated to John Madden, who sadly also passed away last Tuesday. Sounds really cynic (for what I'm really sorry), but The Longest Marge (sports-related) is the fit episode, dedicated to the sports person.

Why not Betty White? See this:
How it would sound cynically (sorry, for God sake), but usually (in modern times, after about season 24-25) the episode can be dedicated if the person had died at least 3 days before, in Thursday. Otherwise, this "honor" (again, sorry, for God sake, if offensive) will transfer to episode on the next week. Another condition: neither of these episodes is Treehouse of Horror (again forgot the example to put). In some cases the dedication can be held even through months (recent examples: David Richardson, Marc Willmore; season 26 premiere was dedicated to Dan's Castellaneta father who dead a month earlier).
I believe, she will get dedication, but when next Simpsons episode will air: either 16th Jan (two Simpsons reruns + just a day before *sigh* she would be 100) or just in Pixelated and Affraid.

Oh my God!. It is really hard to write about such things in the way of morale.😥But, anyway, it's needed for the memory

The Longest Marge was dedicated to John Madden (as I've said above).
FIJPoPyVQAIN90Q

I don't see why they can't dedicate John Madden and Betty White in the same episode.

Marge the Meanie was dedicated to animator Ian Wilcox who passed away on April 30th, eight days before this episode aired.
RIP Ian🕯️

Remember in the iconic, devastating end credits of "Mother Simpson", when after Homer's mother, Mona, left, he just stares up the stars? Well, after that, there is a dedication to a person, an animation checker, named Jackie Banks.

Screenshot_20220724-154554.png
I also remember after Penny Marshall died, there is a memory card dedicated to her as Miss Botz after the end credits of a TV reairing of "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire".

Last edited:
Remember in the iconic, devastating end credits of "Mother Simpson", when after Homer's mother, Mona, left, he just stares up the stars? Well, after that, there is a dedication to a person named Jackie Banks.
Jackie Banks was one of the show's animation checkers at the time - in fact, I think she's credited in that episode.

Jackie Banks was one of the show's animation checkers at the time - in fact, I think she's credited in that episode.
Actually, she wasn't from what I checked. She wasn't credited as an animation checker in that episode, possibly due to a break before her death at the time of this episode's production. Wonder if she actually died? Probably, so...Screenshot_20220725-135237.png

Forget about this one, to be honest. So, from what I know:
From Beer to Paternity (13.11.22) was dedicated to producer and writer David Davis, who had died on Nov 4th

My Live as a Vlog (01.01.23) was dedicated to former long-time music editor Chris Ledesma. Also this was the revelation of his passing
1672764871979.png

These always interest me, no matter what show I'm watching. Wondering who these people were, what significance they have to the cast or crew, why this episode in particular is dedicated to them...really makes you think

I always thought it was really sweet how season 25 had two separate episodes dedicated to Marcia Wallace, though I'm a bit curious about the episodes they chose, specifically the later of the two. Four Regrettings and a Funeral had the chalkboard gag say “We’ll really miss you, Mrs. K”, as well as a dedication to her at the end. Plus The Man Who Grew Too Much had that ending bit with Flanders and Nelson mourning Edna, which was a really touching moment. I completely understand why Four Regrettings had the dedications it had, since it was the first episode to air after her passing. However, I'm wondering why The Man Who Grew Too Much had the dedication it did. Flanders does appear at the beginning of the episode and he does mention Edna, but he doesn't appear again until that ending and the rest of it is mostly about Bob

Other than that, I also really appreciate it that they continue to call back to her in later seasons. By far my favorite dedication bit for Marcia Wallace was seven seasons later in Diary Queen. The ending of that one never fails to tear me up

Yesterday's (9th July) repeat of "The Many Saints of Springfield" was dedicated to the late Treat Williams, who died on 12th June (this was the first aired repeat in a month).

The July 23rd repeat of "Carl Carlson Rides Again" was dedicated to the memory of Tony Bennet, who had died 2 days earlier. Surprisingly, they made a card so quickly. I thought it needs longer time and next week "Bartless" would be dedicated.

"McMansion & Wife" premiere (Oct 23rd, 2023) was dedicated in loving memory of actress Suzanne Somers, who had died a week earlier (Oct 16). She guest starred in season 7 episode "The Day the Violence Died"

"Murder, She Boat" (Dec. 17, 1989 2023) was dedicated to the oldest living at the time guest star - Norman Lear, who died at the age 101 on Dec. 5. He guest starred in season 29 episode "Mr. Lisa's Opus " (late 2017)

And "Do the Wrong Thing" (Dec 24., 2023) was dedicated in memory of former Simpsons animator Istvan Majoros, who died on September 27th (apparently, the news went long)

The rerun of "Ae Bonny Romance" on March 3rd, 2024 was dedicated in memory of actor Richard Lewis, who had died 5 days earlier (February 27) in the age of 76. Never thought, they specifically draw a picture of guest star, if he didn't voice himself/human

Back