If you could bring a dead rock star back to life

I like post-Richey Manics. I own every studio release of theirs, and enjoy the vast majority of it.

I don't mean to totally disregard their later albums, on his day Nick can write great songs. The problem is he is also capable of writing some terrible lines. Post Holy Bible I'd say there's only 2 true classics (Everything Must Go and Journal).

There's a several good tracks on This Is My Truth, though its much too long and slow. Always had a real soft spot for Know Your Enemy as well just on account of how batshit crazy it is, there's some fantastic b-sides from that era too. I wouldn't recommend it to a casual fan though. Sometimes I love Lifeblood but have to be in a very specific mood for it. Some great Nicky lyrics on that one.

Send Away the Tigers is the Manics at their worst for me. Cheesy stadium rock for the most part, though I do like the title track and Your Love Alone Is Not Enough(surely about Richey?). Journal For Plague Lovers is 10/10 for me and probably my second favourite album of theirs. Using Richey's left-behind lyrics clearly inspired James musically.

Stopped buying their new releases after Postcards From A Young Man, which I found fairly overproduced and forced. I should probably listen to Futurology at some point though since that seems to get a lot of good reviews.

Dimebag Darrell's death was so ridiculously unfair. Man was just doing what he loved when he was murdered by a fucking lunatic, so he's easily my pick.

Back