How about another 2 Part episode?

merzitar

. . .
Hi.
I was wondering earlier - What do you all think about if they were to make another 2 Part episode like Who Shot MB? Should they do it? I'd love another one, but what about you?

I would like to see another 2-part episode like Who Shot Mr Burns?, but I don't want it to be a disappointing remake. So, I'm not sure, the precedents give charm to the idea but they also demand a very strong level that isn't really to be expected currently.

Noooo. Don't particularly want to see WSMB's legacy tarnished. Basically what Morris said. WSMB is an amazing point of quality in the show's history, some of the best episodes ever... A new two-parter would automatically be placed right up next to it and there's no way it could possibly come close to matching, not with today's writers.

It would also have to be extraordinarily strong story-wise. Which it won't be. Because they still are in a bit of a habit of pissing away their first acts.

If done right, I'd like to see another 2 part ep..
ImpishShrug1.gif
Heck! I'll watch it even if it isnt done right

I would like to see another 2-part episode like Who Shot Mr Burns?, but I don't want it to be a disappointing remake. So, I'm not sure, the precedents give charm to the idea but they also demand a very strong level that isn't really to be expected currently.

Yes, I know where you're coming from. I would not want it to be a remake of WSMB either, but I'd love to see a second 2-parter. The story would also have to be pretty strong and keep you on the edge of your seat, Like say, I dunno... Marge is about to die from some kind of disease lol - But you know what I mean.

Yes, I know where you're coming from. I would not want it to be a remake of WSMB either, but I'd love to see a second 2-parter. The story would also have to be pretty strong and keep you on the edge of your seat, Like say, I dunno... Marge is about to die from some kind of disease lol - But you know what I mean.

Swine flu!

I'm sick of people's mindsets where if we have another 2 parter, it will ruin the legacy of WSMB. Honestly? Another 2 parter won't affect the quality of WSMB AT ALL. Fans seem to put WSMB on a high pedestal, and don't get me wrong, it deserves it's place up there, because it's an absolutely magnificent 2-parter, but that's no reason to be afraid of a second attempt at another set (Not a remake, obviously). It would actually squeeze some fresh life out of this show. I mean, after 20 years, who cares about legacy? The series has been run into the ground, yet still continues, so there's nothing wrong with going nowhere but up. The legacy of the classic Simpsons will always live and if crappy episodes like "That 90's Show" can slap us hard against the face with continuity errors, BUT still not be able to break through the greatness of the early show, then what chance does a second 2-parter have? Many of my favorite shows had one set of it, almost every year (Seinfeld, Scrubs, etc.) and there were never any complaints. I say, if the writers have a great idea for a story and it would play out well as a "To Be Continued" episode, then they should definitely run with it. Bring a little excitement into future seasons, writers! It couldn't hurt the show at this point, and although the current writing in this show isn't up to par, there is always the probability that it can turn out to be surprisingly good.

Last edited:
If they have a good idea for a long story I'd rather prefer them to do a very good movie sequel instead.

This two parter petition appears from time to time, but there are another things that I miss more than that. For example I REALLY miss Itchy and Scratchy related episodes.

i'm not opposed on the idea of 2 parter at all but the subject matter would be of a dark aspect (dark as in a terms of grave impact, not horror-dark) if the story aspect should be of long enough to be stretched into two episodes. i mean, i think it would be possible if they have something of light-toned to make it out as one, but given the heavy impact of the two-parter itself, i think the grave or heavy-handed subject would suit more for it.

I'm sick of people's mindsets where if we have another 2 parter, it will ruin the legacy of WSMB. Honestly? Another 2 parter won't affect the quality of WSMB AT ALL. Fans seem to put WSMB on a high pedestal, and don't get me wrong, it deserves it's place up there, because it's an absolutely magnificent 2-parter, but that's no reason to be afraid of a second attempt at another set (Not a remake, obviously). It would actually squeeze some fresh life out of this show. I mean, after 20 years, who cares about legacy? The series has been run into the ground, yet still continues, so there's nothing wrong with going nowhere but up. The legacy of the classic Simpsons will always live and if crappy episodes like "That 90's Show" can slap us hard against the face with continuity errors, BUT still not be able to break through the greatness of the early show, then what chance does a second 2-parter have? Many of my favorite shows had one set of it, almost every year (Seinfeld, Scrubs, etc.) and there were never any complaints. I say, if the writers have a great idea for a story and it would play out well as a "To Be Continued" episode, then they should definitely run with it. Bring a little excitement into future seasons, writers! It couldn't hurt the show at this point, and although the current writing in this show isn't up to par, there is always the probability that it can turn out to be surprisingly good.
Nah, I didn't mean that. I agree Who Shot Mr Burns? has a strong quality that will never be affected by other incursions into the format. So, I'm not complaining about the legacy but the comparative. It's the new episode who will be worst hit, not the previous and classic one. So, despite it could be a great episode, I'm sure its R&R thread will be full of "It's good, but it's not WSMB" and other similar sorts of reviews.

I say lets relax when it comes to movies. We just had a movie. The writers should focus more on the show. This last season felt like a mediocre, weekly comic strip, where some episodes had some played out message, where we watch it, and go "Oh, that's cute," until we await the next week and forget the previous. I mean, I'm not saying the season was terrible, but it seemed overall average to me. Originality has been lacking, and I feel that if the writers cook up a clever idea, they should create an episode around it, and contribute it to the series. "The Simpsons" name is well-known, and has become one of the greatest aspects of television culture. It didn't become this way, because of a movie, the merchandise, or anything else. It is the SHOW that has made "The Simpsons" worthy of being recognized as one of the best. So, if the staff is going to continue with the series, then why just coast through years of over-staying a welcome without bringing something good to the table? We've had some pretty fun episodes in the last 10 years, and I've accepted the sea of bad ones, but the point of going on with a series, should be to work at popping out some occasional great episodes, at least. So, if they have a good idea, why stretch it out into a movie? For more money? It's not worth it (At least not so soon after the first movie). I stongly think that if there is a story out there that is well put together and has the high potential of being a memorable addition to the series, then they SHOULD include it into the show.

Nah, I didn't mean that. I agree Who Shot Mr Burns? has a strong quality that will never be affected by other incursions into the format. So, I'm not complaining about the legacy but the comparative. It's the new episode who will be worst hit, not the previous and classic one. So, despite it could be a great episode, I'm sure its R&R thread will be full of "It's good, but it's not WSMB" and other similar sorts of reviews.

I agree that it will be compared to WSMB. That's inevitable, but at this point, I don't think it really matters anymore. Reglular episodes from the Jean/Scully era get compared to classic episodes all the time. To me, even if another 2-parter was created, I wouldn't focus on it as WSMB's lesser half, and would think of it as just another episode. It's like when "Gone Maggie Gone" was compared to "Raging Abe" because of it's similar theme. I didn't base my opinions on "GMG" because it didn't live up to a previous episode. I reviewed it as just another episode. I think a second 2-parter would be no different. I don't expect episodes these days to be amazing.

Sorry for double post.

The problem is the Simpsons already seems (or seemed) to accomplish a lot within the 22 minute timeframe it has.
It often feels that the humour and plot is spread a little thin in recent episodes so to ask them to produce a decent two-parter might be a little much at the moment.

It often feels that the humour and plot is spread a little thin in recent episodes so to ask them to produce a decent two-parter might be a little much at the moment.

Agreed

I think if the writers have a story that's long enough for two full episodes, they might as well stretch it out a little and make it into another movie.

But then again, if this were possible, then I would enjoy another movie

If it helps them make a very good set of episodes and they are very inspired at the moment (and with the writer of "simpson mind/waverly hills"), I'll be for it.

:D Personally it's not that I'm desperate to get a new movie, I'm just saying that if there is another movie I'd like it to be very good, and frankly I'll be disappointed if it's worst than the first one (which was a little disappointing on itself, but not dramatically). If they have an idea that really works better as a two parter because of the Cliffhanger moment or because it could be longer than a regular episode but shorter than a movie, then it's ok to me. But if it's just an idea for a long story that's really good then they should save it for a movie.

Wasn't the movie about 90 minutes long? That's like 4 episodes when you think about it, considering each one runs a good 22 minutes. I'm not against a movie, and if they come up with something epic that could easily fit the time frame of a movie without stretching it with filler material, then I'm all down for it.

Actually I'd prefer if they don't make the second movie epic at all. It should be epic in laughs, not in action scenes.

A two-part episode is kind of a fine line to walk. With many of the episodes, it appears that the writers are trying to cram too much story into twenty-two minutes and the end result seems a bit too rushed and convenient. Take from this season for instance, the Maya episode or Homerica. With the right development and comedy I believe both those episodes could benefit from more time to develop the plot and relevant conflict. On the other hand, while these episodes may seem rushed in their current states, doubling their run time might make the plot look too thin. It's hard. Many had doubts about being able to stretch the Simpson's premise to make a feature film and while I liked the movie, it certainly had some pacing problems. Stretching a plot to two episodes requires an equal amount of skill and design and I don't know if the current show is up to it.

Actually I'd prefer if they don't make the second movie epic at all. It should be epic in laughs, not in action scenes.

Well every comedic movie should have epic laughs. That's a given. I mean you want that, I want that, and everyone wants that, but what is the point of paying to see a movie, if it doesn't have a strong plot to help carry the comedy? If it's all laughs without an epic story , then why not just create laughs through a tv set? Also, when I say "epic", I don't just mean action. It should have emotional impact (To make you care what's going on. Ex- Marge's goodbye tape) and a darker tone. IMO, "epic" is a crucial element to a movie, and if it doesn't have it, it might as well be a decent 2-parter on tv.

Well every comedic movie should have epic laughs. That's a given. I mean you want that, I want that, and everyone wants that, but what is the point of paying to see a movie, if it doesn't have a strong plot to help carry the comedy? If it's all laughs without an epic story , then why not just create laughs through a tv set? Also, when I say "epic", I don't just mean action. It should have emotional impact (To make you care what's going on. Ex- Marge's goodbye tape) and a darker tone. IMO, "epic" is a crucial element to a movie, and if it doesn't have it, it might as well be a decent 2-parter on tv.

Yeah, I agree, and I actually enjoy some epic aspects in the Simpsons too. I just found the first movie to be too much of a summer blockbuster type of movie. To me LETS or Marge Vs The Monorail would have been more "epic", cause they are non-stop laughs, they have some action and have a stronger plot. Probably Thanks God It's Doomsday or Simple Simpson would have been "epic" enough for a movie too and it seems to me that they would have worked better than the actual movie.

On the other hand I'd also enjoy a more down to earth movie. There's the assumption that animated movies have to be epic, or they have to include a bad guy in them. South Park worked as an "epic" movie. But animated movies like Persepolis had proven that a down to earth story (combined with some oniric moments) can serve just as well. I guess it's too much to ask for the Simpsons to do something like that. But I'd have really enjoyed something like Lisa's Substitute as a movie. It would have felt more adult oriented and more revolutionary IMO. Little Miss Sunshine and early Kevin Smith's movies are other examples of comedies that are more down to earth than epic and they are really funny.

But my main problem with TSM was probably not that it was epic, more than it felt a little disjointed for my tastes, the introductory act felt a little unrelated to the rest due to the absence of the pig in the rest of the film and the movie was too focussed in Homer's part of the plot while other subplot like Lisa's had a very dull resolution.

The Simpsons Movie.

Well that was basically 3 episodes patched together, and not too great epis at that.

The Simpsons Movie.

Well that was basically 3 episodes patched together, and not too great epis at that.

I kinda agree with that. I didn't like the "it was a long episode" criticisms cause for one thing that's what it should be, and secondly it had the animation and the length of a movie. But it actually had like three or four different plots and some of them weren't very well developed or even related to the others that much. South Park Bigger, Longer and Uncut had a subplot for every kid but all were related to the same conflict. Bender's Big Score had a proper ending to each of its subplot. Instead of developing one "epic" idea, TSM mixed some different ideas and only developed some of them properly.

Back