Votes: 58 22.8%
  • 2/5

Votes: 57 22.4%
  • 1/5

Votes: 85 33.5%

• Total voters

The lesson is never try

Come on England!
So, season 10 lowlight. This, to me, is the worst episode the simpsons ever produced, it starts rather bland and then just twists horribly into homer being the most insensitive jerk he could possibly be, the jokes werent funny at all, and the whole thing with the sea is atrocious? The worst bit however, is homer leaving grandpa TWICE, then getting run over, and having his kidney removed without him knowing.

Worst Episode Ever - 1/5

Excriment that somehow evaded my bottom 25 list. It should have been in there on second thoughts.
1/5

The lesson is never try said:
The worst bit however, is homer leaving grandpa TWICE, then getting run over, and having his kidney removed without him knowing.

I've been saying this a bit recently, but I don't understand how that is a big problem within the episode.

Do you have a fear of something that is overwhelming? Take a fear of heights for instance (I've used this one before), if your dad was in the CN Tower, dying, and you had to climb up the stairs to get to him, would you be able to do it? You may say yes, but the truth is, if you had an overwhelming fear of something, much like Homer did you may not be able to do it.

Homer did try to do it, if I'm not mistaken he attempted to go through with it twice but he got scared and ran off. That's not insensitivity on his part, it's merely him reacting to his fear of being operated on, or perhaps being anethetised.

The bigger problem with this episode is the fact that when he was aboard the ship of lost souls, he recounted his series of events with absolutely no remorse. That's why the people threw him off the ship. Surely anyone, including Homer, in this situation would show remorse and regret what they did. However in the writing for this episode, he doesn't and that's where one of the problems lies.

The second major problem is at the beggining when he doesn't let Grampa go to the bathroom despite the ease at which he could have pulled over and let him go. I believe (it's been a while since I've seen this episode) he also teases him with the idea of going to the toilet.

There has been instances where Homer acts even more jerkassish then in this episode though. What about in Old Money when he doesn't beleive that grampa has a girlfriend, in fact, he ridicules him. Surely that's worse then what Homer does in this episode. There was no psychological reason for Homer to do what he did in Old Money, he was just a plain jerk. Now tell me, where is all the crap being poured onto that episode? Where is it?

"Old Money" may not be one of S2's greatest by any means, but from my perspective, Homer's characterization in that doesn't come close to matching his insensitivity in "Kidney Trouble". Worst of S10. "Homerdrive", being the crap that it is and all, kills this particular crap.

D- (And that's because of one funny part which I don't actually remember what it was right now)

From the bottom 5 episodes editorial on my website said:
3. "Homer Simpson In: Kidney Trouble"

This episode is simply revolting. It starts off okay, there are a couple funny moments at the "Old West" place, but it definitely gets worse. This episode is the definition of jerkass Homer, he apparently has no regard for his father's health at all, and starts to really aggravate the hell out of the viewer by the second time he bolts from the operating table. As if the rest of the episode isn't bad enough, Homer then ends up on some boat with a group of really weird people who call themselves "Soul Searchers". What actually made the producers think this would make a good episode? Absolutely horrible.
So yeah, this episode is beyone awful. 3rd worst ever

Nebuchanezzar said:
I've been saying this a bit recently, but I don't understand how that is a big problem within the episode.

Do you have a fear of something that is overwhelming? Take a fear of heights for instance (I've used this one before), if your dad was in the CN Tower, dying, and you had to climb up the stairs to get to him, would you be able to do it? You may say yes, but the truth is, if you had an overwhelming fear of something, much like Homer did you may not be able to do it.

Homer did try to do it, if I'm not mistaken he attempted to go through with it twice but he got scared and ran off. That's not insensitivity on his part, it's merely him reacting to his fear of being operated on, or perhaps being anethetised.

The bigger problem with this episode is the fact that when he was aboard the ship of lost souls, he recounted his series of events with absolutely no remorse. That's why the people threw him off the ship. Surely anyone, including Homer, in this situation would show remorse and regret what they did. However in the writing for this episode, he doesn't and that's where one of the problems lies.

The second major problem is at the beggining when he doesn't let Grampa go to the bathroom despite the ease at which he could have pulled over and let him go. I believe (it's been a while since I've seen this episode) he also teases him with the idea of going to the toilet.

There has been instances where Homer acts even more jerkassish then in this episode though. What about in Old Money when he doesn't beleive that grampa has a girlfriend, in fact, he ridicules him. Surely that's worse then what Homer does in this episode. There was no psychological reason for Homer to do what he did in Old Money, he was just a plain jerk. Now tell me, where is all the crap being poured onto that episode? Where is it?

I see your point but leaving someone to their death or surely worse than ridiculing a made up girlfriend, i also think homer leaving twice looks particularly bad, as 1) If he has a of it why agree to it, it was only his own greed (not being able to drink as much) that made him run away, thats just beyond selfish from even homer. 2) Even if he left once, why did he come back again and run away? He could of just stayed away then got runover, but going and leaving agains portrays homer a lot worse than he is.

I do think it's better than the bottom end of season 10, to be fair. The first act prostitute stuff is kind of funny in a juvenile kind of way, and the episode is still somewhat interesting up until Homer runs off. But the episode is horribly manipulative and mean spirited, with Homer's senselessness in the car and running away twice (guilty or not) really making him quite unlikable. And the third act is some of the worst, most nonsensical departures the show has ever done, especially up to this point. Does to Homer and Grampa what "Make Room For Lisa" does to Homer and Lisa. C-/D+

This is why Swartzwelder doesn't do commentary, because all of your traitors have gone against him.

Well, that may or may not be true, but it raises a question; Do you think the alledged crappiness of Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble" is due top Swartzwelder's writing, the writing teams re-writes, or Mike Scully as Executive Producer.

I hardly think it's Swartzwelders fault that Homer became a bit of a jerk in this episode, I mean, the guy has written countless Simpsons classics, but I'm at a loss of who to blame it on.

Yeah he started just sending in scripts from home around that time so alot of his scripts were probably changed without him being able to stop it.

Well, I do think Swartzwelder's writing took a big spiral. I mean, if it was simply this episode, I wouldn't dump it all on him. But then you have his other postclassics like "Kill the Alligator and Run", "The Lastest Gun in the West", "The Frying Game", "The Regina Monologues", "Maximum Homerdrive", "A Tale of Two Springfields", "Treehouse of Horror XIV", "Simpson Safari", and "Take My Wife Sleaze". Pretty consistant in the negative sense.

Yes, but they were all in the "era" of Mike Scully's leadership. I have no real issue with Mike Scully, in fact he's probably the second funniest writer to have written for The Simpsons after Swartzwelder. But the problem is it seems almost impossible for his writing abilities to dip once someone else takes over, and then regain itself somehow after he's left.

"The Lastest Gun in the West", "The Frying Game", "The Regina Monologues", "The Sweetest Apu", and "Treehouse of Horror XIV" are all Jean eps, though. Really, I think is only truly good postclassic is "Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington".

Hmmm....not as bad as people make out, but still bizarre and pretty poor on reflection. There are few funny jokes, Homer is more insensitive than usual and the part where Homer goes to sea with some lost souls...what the hell? And he does it again! And the episode ends...just like that. All of these elements make it worse than another stinker 'Sunday Cruddy Sunday', which at least earned a pass from me. Maybe they should've put a subplot in; that could've saved it. D

Last edited:
Words can describe how much I hate this episode. Its horrific, utter crap, horribly written, unfunny, badly characterized and Homer is such a jerkass you detest and hate him. 1/5 only because there isn't a 0 opinion. This episode shouldn't be screened near an open flame.

1/5, or D-.

Not the worst of S10, but a bad episode all-around. The mere idea of Homer being sadistic enough to cause Grampa's kidneys to explode and THEN leave his father to die twice on the operating table is enough to earn this episode the derision it receives. The entire thing is laugh-free and the ending where they take Homer's kidney when he's unconscious was creepy. Finally, the scene where the Sea Captain's crew tells Homer about their incredible crimes but his fleeing the hospital ends up disgusting them was embarassingly predictable.

Nebuchanezzar said:

But you're only assuming Homer had an actual psychological condition which would prevent him from physically being able to go through with an operation that millions of people have gone through in the past. That's a huge assumption to make. It's never stated or implied anywhere in this episode that Homer has an actual psychological condition, there's no reason ever given as to why he would, and Homer had had several operations through the show's run. There's no reason to think it was anything other than plain old lowly despicable cowardice.

Homer wasn't written as a remotely sympathetic character with any relatable fear. The episode ends with Homer having a truck fall on him! He gets a much-deserved come-uppance. The viewers are supposed to cheer that Homer gets violently and painfully crushed as punishment for his behavior, instead of rooting or synpathizing with him.

It's enough to make me detest this episode, despite any decent humor and emotion the first 2 acts had.

Just watched the episode "Simpson Safari" and saw comparisons to my rankings between the two episodes - they share not only the same writer, but also the same style of plot, something over-the-top ridiculous but at moments is quite funny. I liked the flashback to Homer as a child, and Krusty at Grampa's near-death bed. A big minus is Homer's treatment of his father - he does have some funny lines in the show, but the main plot shows him as being so insincere it would work as a self-parody.

Overall, I'd give this episode a 2/5 - not very good, but not bad for Season 10, quite possibly the show's worst season.

I was expecting something of annoying Homer vs. Dignity standards, judging what other people have said about this episode. However, it was actually a present surprise and IMO it doesn't really rank anywhere near the worst episode (D'oh-in in the Wind is a lot worse). They could have handled the 'Homer running away twice' thing a little better, but it was in no way the worst possible situation that the writers could have produced. The animation was actually particularly good, too. Pretty enjoyable, but still slightly forgettable. Oh yes, and the Lost Souls thing was incredibly pointless.

C+

Despite this episode being preety bad & such (especially when Homer felt Bart's kidney in the end), this episode is FAR better than Pranksta Rap or The Parent Rap, for that matter (I wanted Judge Harm to die so badly that that is why I called my UN based on my hatred for her).

3/5

This episode is one of the hugest missteps ever. It seems like the writers put a decent amount of effort into it, and it progresses nicely, but it doesn't work at all. It's hard to give it any points for its positive features because it gives me and most everyone else a bad feeling in their stomach, and there are hardly any laughs...there's no point in watching it. Except for the great robot western first act. C-

1/5
A horrible episode, one of the worst in the entire serie;Homer is bad characterized, that he run away twice to let Grampa die was rellay bad. And he acts like a real jerk in this episode. It had some funny moments at the begining though, But not so really fun.

I liked it (am I the only guy who liked it?)

4/5 (so what, Homer has always been a jerk and still had a place for a loving person. However, in this episode it shows his jerk-side.)

3/5

its one of those episodes which i neither love or hate but would still watch. some nice homer gags in there which do well for a season 10 episode.

2/5, points gained because everything up until "Your kidneys have exploded!" was pretty good, with a few other funny moments mixed in afterwards... but not many. I think this was the first episode that actually made me feel sick.

Back