Homer casts his vote

Wow. I thought this was a fan edit of the 2008 THOH voting segment.

But nope, lazy 2012 Simpsons.

I actually liked this a little better than the 2008 segment.

The voter suppression thing got a big laugh out of me....then made me sad because I'm a Pennsylvania citizen with no photo ID...yeah, hits close to home. Republican filth in my state actually taking my right to vote....well potentially.

Homer's reasoning for voting for Romney was also funny.

It was OK. Homer thinking Romney invented Obamacare and the suicide nets were the best parts

Just watched it in the season 24 info thread. I liked it. At least they didn't just redub the whole thing...because if there's one thing I've learned, it's that topical redubs of old clips aren't that good.....isn't that right Family Guy?

I already commented on the video in the season 24 thread, but I want to say that it is better than the 2008 video. That one was still good, but this one had much more political satire, which is a definite plus for me.

This is not funny; in fact it feels like a rehash of 2008.

Bland, unoriginal, boring; yup...

The fact that people are saying that is better than the last one isn't really the point; it's the fact that something so similar even EXISTS is the bad part. It can be a million times better, but the fact that the structure and execution are so similar to a previous clip is, in my eyes, what makes it bad.

the last one at least had one neat joke ("hey I only meant one of those votes for McCain" even when he had only pressed the Obama button). this was garbage. i can't be the only one, surely?? i mean it's just terribly written and lazy comedy that doesn't feel like the Simpsons. really grated on me

the similarity in structure in execution are not the problem. Many classic episodes: like "Lisa's First Word" and "And Maggie Makes Three", has similar structure and execution.

This one compared to the 2008 THOH is not just similar in structure and execution, its the fken same in not only structure and execution, but everything else as well. And the 2008 THOH wasn't even that good, sooooo........

Aren't the two shorts so similar because there's really no other realistic way to portray the act of voting? I'm not sure how you can criticize it for that. I don't think they even recycled any animation as it looked physically distinct, if not stylistically distinct. Regardless, I found the 2008 segment to be really funny, and I think this one topped it. The show's still really good at structuring small segments like these. It's just when they get a full 22 minutes that things tend to fall apart.

The segment is seriously flawed. They are only able to get their jokes in by Homer unnaturally narrating his thoughts and motives to the audience, and then Homer becomes bizarrely self-aware for the purpose of one flat joke while talking to the Texan, then promptly follows the next order with no fuss for some reason. Then more of Homer telling us everything he is thinking, couldn't they have found a better way to get these jokes in? Then what is he point of Homer being shown his tax return. That is so brutally forced. The most redeeming part, even though it is a stupid topical joke with no timeless quality to it like the rest, is Homer landing on the Suicide nets because they just showed it happening, instead of trying to reveal it with some stupid dialogue. It would have been better if the truck didn't say suicide nets either.

Classic Simpsons had so many references I didn't get, but the whole thing stood up on its own because it was funny and well-written regardless (aka, I have never seen Cape Fear the movie and have no idea who Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown is). This segment is only remotely humorous if you get the references, but even still is totally stale and unintelligent. But this is not nearly enough, it still sucks. This segment appeals to the same people who love The Big Bang Theory.

Last edited:
Hmm, well this wasn't offensively awful. But it was just more bland nothingness. 'Hey look, we're relevant, Homer said Mitt Romney!' The Supreme Court choosing the President and the suicide net bit were okay I guess. But I just find this show so lifeless and sterile now, to the point that I keep expecting to see the Lucasfilm logo after the Fox fanfare. Probably best I continue not watching it.

This segment appeals to the same people who love The Big Bang Theory.

Because it only works if your get the references? I really like The Big Bang Theory but I don't need to get EVERY comic book, Sci-fi or video game reference because it's not the main crux of the shows humour (At least not as much as it was during the first season when they were trying to really push the aspect of "LOOK AT WHAT NERDS THESE FOUR GUYS ARE!")

By that same logic, you could say that about Family Guy....people still enjoy it, but it doesn't mean they're going to get every obscure reference or 80's shoutout. Most people just like it because of how silly it's gags and characters are.

The segment is seriously flawed. They are only able to get their jokes in by Homer unnaturally narrating his thoughts and motives to the audience, and then Homer becomes bizarrely self-aware for the purpose of one flat joke while talking to the Texan, then promptly follows the next order with no fuss for some reason. Then more of Homer telling us everything he is thinking, couldn't they have found a better way to get these jokes in? Then what is he point of Homer being shown his tax return. That is so brutally forced. The most redeeming part, even though it is a stupid topical joke with no timeless quality to it like the rest, is Homer landing on the Suicide nets because they just showed it happening, instead of trying to reveal it with some stupid dialogue. It would have been better if the truck didn't say suicide nets either.

Classic Simpsons had so many references I didn't get, but the whole thing stood up on its own because it was funny and well-written regardless (aka, I have never seen Cape Fear the movie and have no idea who Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown is). This segment is only remotely humorous if you get the references, but even still is totally stale and unintelligent. But this is not nearly enough, it still sucks. This segment appeals to the same people who love The Big Bang Theory.

It was a less than two minute short which had a defined purpose of doing as many 2012 jokes as possible, and it achieved it. Criticisms like Homer's lines being "unnatural" really shouldn't apply to something this short, when there's really no time to do the proper setup.

Actually, this segment will probably look incredibly dated just a few months from now, as Obama is pretty likely to win and Romney isn't a candidate who is going to stick in many people's minds for very long. So in that regard it may meet a similar fate to the Treehouse of Horror segment with Clinton and Dole (although I think most would agree that that was much superior).

Back