Help me out about the show writers please

Dishman

Junior Camper
Sorry with what may be a stupid question, but could someone please explain who is writing the shows now and who is about to take over. I have noticed, along with a lot of others, that the past few years have not been as good.

If I understand right, Scully (the writer for the past 4 years?), is done as of "The Blunder Years" episode, right? Are the original writers going to take over again, or someone different?

Sorry if I am not up on evevything like many of you seem to be, but I owuld like to know hat's going on.

Thanks

Mike Scully is the executive producer. Although there are many writers on the show, Scully approves their scripts and hires new underqualified writers, and apparently isn't as critical as he should be. He often accepts the first draft of a script. Next week, Al Jean, a former Producer will take over Scully's spot. The hope is that he'll make sure the writers don't mistreat the show. However, I feel it's important to warn people not to get their hopes up to high. While Al Jean is a talented guy, him taking over isn't going to solve the problem of keeping a show fresh and original after 13 years. People seem to expect an instant transformation with his return, and it will likely not raise the quality a great deal. There will still be a lot of the same writers churning out episodes. Maybe I will be wrong, and the rest of Season 13 will be classic. You never know. But I'd rather not proclaim the Simpsons are back to their former glory only to be disapointed. Time will tell.

Put me in couch!!

I, too agree that we shouldn't get our hopes up too high for next week's episode... I'd have to see a couple of good shows before I proclaim that the Simpsons are back in full swing.

But don't underestimate the power of a producer or editor. You'd be shocked if you saw the first draft of many TV/movie scripts, articles and books. A good producer/editor can totally transform a show or book by guiding the writer(s) in new directions. Think of the producer like the couch of a football team. The players might be great, but if the plays aren't being called properly, everything can go down the drain.

I still have faith though. The Simpsons have unlimited potential and I think there are plenty of good games (episodes) in their future, as long as the get a good couch at the helm. ;)

Thanks mrkatie for the explanation, I owe you a cold one. I also hope the show gets better, but like you guys said, only time will tell.

Back