Have you ever been unable to finish an episode?

Beggs

Grappling with Local Oaf
iHx1zOI.jpg

Have you ever been unable to finish an episode, either out of boredom or disgust?

It hasn't happened to met yet. I guess I'm a "to the bitter end" kind of person when it comes to the shows I watch, be it the entire series or an individual episode, but some have been a struggle. There are quite a few episodes I've only watched once or twice in the past decade or so, but I've yet to give up on one part of the way through.

Oh, of course not. I have the feeling that if I miss something from The Simpsons I would not be the fan I pretend to be. So the episodes that I do not like, I usually look at them more often to generate some appreciation. For me, even the worst episode of the series (All Singing, All Dancing) has its charm.

No, I don't believe that I've ever done that. There were episodes that I put off watching for a long time (I took forever to finally see Elementary School Musical--it sucked) but if I start an episode, I watch it to the end, and my goal has always been to see everything the show produces.

Last edited:
Not in that sense, probably along the lines of where I've been busy or something and not really watched an episode properly but then would watch it later at some point anyway so wasn't really a reflection on the episode when I've done this :)

In terms of first viewings, when I first saw Elementary School Musical, I didn't completely walk out, but I skipped past the entire scene with the cast of Glee. I suppose that counts as not finishing the episode properly. Needless to say, Season 22 was the season I was unable to finish, and based on what I've heard of it and 23, I've didn't miss out.

Never happened, no. Even if I absolutely despised an episode, which has yet to happened, I feel compelled to see them all. Even on rewatches I watch the bad ones.

But as for the image in the OP, I have walked out of movies before (not at the cinema of course) because I was never interested in them to begin with.

I've never not stuck it out to the end, even when watching terrible episodes.

But some episodes that I can remember I would have considered switching off on include

- Some of the clip shows: I always feel cheapened out when it comes to clip shows as I've already seen these references, and I wanted a new episode this week, not some reruns stapled together.

- this seasons Singing in the Lane: I thought the episode had no real direction, and I was plain bored throughout it.

- and the dreaded Lisa Goes Gaga: The only reason why I even watched this episode was because of how bad everyone said it was, and I wanted to form my own opinions on it. Had I just started watching it not knowing what it was, I definitely would have given up before the end.

I haven't seen every single episode, so there might be more that make this list.

Not an episode I was watching for the first time. I watched every new episode to the end. I’ve obviously stopped watching in the middle of a rerun and done something else, though.

Oh for sure, I've skipped out on finishing re-runs if I haven't felt like watching them. Never switched off an episode on a first viewing, though.

I think there's been only one episode that I had a bit of a hard time finishing on the first viewing which is 'Love Is A Many-Splintered Thing' (if I recall correctly), not because it was a bad episode (which it is; one of the all time worst) but because it was just so unfathomly boring and unengaging to watch with essentially nothing of interest. I think that midway through I thought of skipping to the end or just stopping watching it altogether but I kept on watching to the end (since I am sort of a completist).

Other than that I haven't really had to struggle finishing an episode for any reason even when they turn out bad since I am generally optimistic towards the show and usually find some things in them to enjoy. If it's an episode I've seen and it's a re-run I catch, I only tend to check it out briefly unless it's a particular newer one I'd really like to see again (I have the old ones on DVD so I don't bother watching them on TV), but usually I skip them all since I'm not a fan of commerical breaks.

there's probably more episodes from the HD era that I gave up watching partway through than there are ones that I finished watching. Show is insufferably boring in the HD era.

The Serfsons, Pork and Burns.

The Referee One That Has A Stupid Title took me three attempts to watch all the way through.

Having caught up on Season 29 yesterday, I feel you on "The Serfsons". That was a chore.

No, not to my recollection. Granted, I haven't seen the majority of HD episodes, and I imagine that a lot of them would really test my patience, but I have made it through virtually everything up to S20. Some episodes have bored me severely, and others I've outright loathed (e.g. the entirety of 17-20), but even then I don't think I've ever stopped watching. It's mainly because 20 minutes is nothing really, and I always used to have new episodes on in the background when I got home so that I could pay attention despite being occupied with other things.

That's pretty much how I see it. Mind you, I've never walked out of a movie, either. Not sure if I've ever turned off one I've rented either, though again, some have been a struggle.

Haha yeah, I'm the same way. I've never walked out of a movie before, and I'm struggling to think of a time I haven't finished something I've ever bought/rented/recorded even if I disliked it. Maybe you and I are just lucky haha.

I guess I do mostly stick to the things I'm bound to like, but apart from that, I figure that since I've invested the time/money, I might as well see how it ends. More to complain about online, if nothing else. ;)

The clip shows I skip if binge-watching episodes. I have watched them all the way through in the past though.

The closest I came to being unable to finish the episode was with Lisa Goes Gaga. I did make it all the way to the end, but in the process I acquired some rather suicidal thoughts.

I don't think I have a specific episode, but I remember around the time Seasons 21 and 22 were around, I could not bring myself to finish alot of them.

Which is funny, cause some of the episodes now aren't even all that different in quality - but for some reason, at the time, they really bored the Hell out of me.

There are still full episodes from Seasons 21 and 22 that I have yet to watch, yet I watched all of 23–present. Weird. I guess I got used to it.

Nah. Even when I can tell an episode is going to probably be trash I'll still force my way through it. I'm like that with most TV shows and movies.

Probably doesn't count but I didn't watch the whole Family Guy crossover episode. But I've never bailed out early with any Simpsons episodes.

Ah, the crossover episode. Snarkily, I'd like to say it was simultaneously the best Family Guy episode and the worst Simpsons episode, but in reality, Family Guy has done far better episodes, and I've quite enjoyed it at its peak. But yeah, that episode didn't have either show at their best. Brian talking to Santa's Little Helper was one of the few amusing moments, though.

I think the episode that almost made me stop watching it is probably Love is a Many Splintered Thing. It's just mindnumbingly awful and unfunny. Like how did Tim Long think that Bart doing a Woody Allen impression was remotely funny. Besides that, there hasn't really been any episode that I had to stop watching. I guess it's because I have a high tolerance or something?

The first time I watched that one episode with the Kesha musical intro, I shut it off within the first 2.5 seconds.

Also, "Dude, Where's My Ranch", right after the moment Lisa utters the line 'I'm sick of this horse slapping and cow taunting'. It was like actual blasphemy to me; didn't she literally own a pony back in Season 3?

Last edited:
The Kesha intro didn’t have anything to do with the actual episode, though. You should’ve given it a chance.

Yea I watched Bart Starr @7 am in August and it was a very sunny day and I wasn't enjoying the ep so I took a walk halfway thru

Back