Groening confirms Futurama movies

DotheBartman

SuperFriend
I already posted this in GD, but it deserves a place here too since this is big news.

http://www.avclub.com/content/node/47771/1

AVC: What can you say about the Futurama movies?

MG: We're going to do four of them, straight to DVD. And as we speak, I'm exchanging e-mails and ideas with David X. Cohen and Ken Keeler, both of whom worked on the show from the very beginning. Right now we're trying to figure out whether to do a giant epic, or separate crazy movies, or what. But I wager that Bender will be featured prominently.

AVC: He's a fan favorite.

MG: People love Bender. He's the robotic Homer of the Futurama universe.

AVC: Why do you think people relate to him?

MG: Like Homer, Bender has no guilt whatsoever. He wants what he wants. He's one of the few robots in pop culture who isn't either an effeminate little wimp, or an unfeeling psychopath. He has a lot of emotion.

AVC: Why do you think that Fox treated Futurama the way it did?

MG: I think there were just a few executives around at the time who did not understand the show. No amount of explaining the humor of a crab monster and a crazy robot and a one-eyed sci-fi babe could change their minds.

AVC: Didn't they trust you based on your track record? You basically made Fox with The Simpsons. Didn't that buy you some currency?

MG: Well, it got us on the air and kept us on the air for four years, but they didn't get the show, and that's that. There's a long, regal history of misunderstood TV shows, and to Fox's credit, the studio looked at the ratings on the Cartoon Network and how the show does overseas, and saw that there was more money to be made. So now we get to come back and tell some of the stories that we've had lined up that we never got around to. When David Cohen and I put together the show, we spent a couple years building the universe, and we have characters and stories that we haven't even got around to that we already have voluminous notes on.

AVC: Do you feel vindicated over Futurama becoming such a hit on Adult Swim and DVD?

MG: I suppose. One of the great things about this whole process is the fans have always been unbelievably supportive and encouraging, so it's fun to be able to give them what they want, which is more Futurama.

AVC: Is there any chance that it might return to television?

MG: Certainly. That's always a possibility. Look at the example of Family Guy, which came back from the dead and is walking among us.

pussy pussy pussy

Holy shit. If this project does not happen I am going to be incredibly pissed. I really hope this happens.

Al Gore: This calls for a celebration

*switches on record*

Music: "CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES COME ON"

Al Gore: I will

"Futurama" is another in the long line of shows that never got a chance (e.g. "Arrested Development") and I sincerely hope the movie projects come to fruition. Ultimately, I'd love to see the show return to TV, but you can't win 'em all.

Although we already knew that, it's nice to hear confirmation and some little new info from Matt Groening himself.

It's nice to hear from MG himself that I'll definitely be able to complete my entire Futurama collection. Great news!

that's soooooooooo cool. love futurama, but ive only watched like 4 episodes of season 1. how many seasons are there?

Great news, I'm a little worried about Bender featuring too prominently though.. in the latter seasons he was too obnoxious for my liking.

sounds great, now let's buy loads of copies and pray fox sees the light for futurama season 5 (or 6 is it now?) in the future.

deshem said:
sounds great, now let's buy loads of copies and pray fox sees the light for futurama season 5 (or 6 is it now?) in the future.

Depends on whether you consider it four or five. Four were produced, and five were actually aired (with the last season being holdovers from the third and fourth seasons that never aired).

Good News Everyone(I know, it's been done so many times before, but I had too),

There have been two significant updates in the world of Futurama. I am soo estatic I can barely type the letters in this post. I'm jumping with joy, but just to keep suspense, I'll save the best news for last.

1) According to CGEF, the Futurama Direct-to-DVD movie is tentatively scheduled to be released around Xmas of 2007. This is great news as I am sure the rest are thinking, but not as great as the next piece of news.

2) Last Night on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, Katey Segal announced that a new season of Futurama is in the works. 13 or 16 episodes will be produced(she said she wasn't sure, she was just happy to be making more), and I am pretty sure she said they will be airing on Comedy Central, but you can read the information for yourself. Billy West backed her up on this, and I know he has been unreliable in the past, but if two confirm it, I would believe it. However, I do still have my fingers crossed until Cohen himself confirms it, but I am pretty sure it's safe to say we can celebrate!

I think there is no reason to dispute this BUMP!

Sources:
1)www.Gotfuturama.com
2)A Thread on the board of Billy West's site

That does sound awesome but if it's on Comedy Central I hope the animation doesn't go downhill.

Cool its coming back...probably

Sure hope this time we don't get a message in a week from some one else saying that this information is inaccurate.

I'm sure Fox will make the new episodes and re air them on CC, like family guy and american dad did on adult swim, but anyways, kick fucking ass

If the show is being done on Comedy Central, I'm going to be slightly worried, as Comedy Central has a horrible habit of making 5 episodes of a show, then airing those 5 episodes over and over again for 2 years.

well, if they actually make the new episodes, they'll be showing them alongdeide the older episodes, so they'll be less of a chance of episodes being quickly played to death

I've known about the movie for a while, but since there's a realease date now, that just makes things better. As for more episodes, that's even cooler. I wish it would air on Fox, but maybe they will treat it better. But, then again they didn't treat Family Guy too well, until it came back. Aren't the reruns going to start airing on Comedy Central in like 2008 after the contract expires for Adult Swim? Maybe they will do what adult swim does for family guy and reair the new episodes that were on Fox like a week later, except for Futurama they will be aired on Comedy Central.

Alrighttttttttt I hope Katey Sagal is in it, she is really funny, especially in Futurama and Married with Children, hoping that the movie sales will skyrocket so that theyll bring it back on TV!!!!

And considering that she announced it, I'd say there is a pretty good chance.

Great news, I would still like to get more information from Cohen or Groening, but it sounds like it's for real. I'm a little surprised that the show will air on comedy central because of the high cost of the animation, but I guess the DVD sales might help with that as well. I wonder how many of the writers and animators will be back with the show. I'm not sure what many of them have done since Futurama went off the air, other than the ones who are working on the Simpsons

Back