Girly-Girls vs Tomboys

Which is better?

• Total voters

LukeMM95

Edgy McEdgeEdge
Which is better and/or which do you prefer?

Edit: Guys, I'm aware that a girl's personality is what truly matters. This thread is just a bit of fun, which is why I didn't give an option for "both" or "either" or "it's what's on the inside that matters" in the poll.

Last edited:
"Better" is not in this equation.

That said, being a bi tomboy myself, I like both very much.

I don't know. as long as they are a person at their core, it doesn't really matter.

My answer is good attributes in a person are better than bad attributes, people with good attributes are good

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the tomboy-style (Hey, no person in the world is without prejudices), though with some people it fits better than others. Short haircuts in general on the other hand can look really hot, and even in some regard prefer it to long hair.
In the end though, the personality is all that matters.

nerds love tomboys
Mike-Myers-Was-Not-Aware-Of-That-In-Waynes-World.gif

unless it was defensiveness about being called a nerd. which is even more lolworthy, nerds!

edit: also, re: question, I don't give a shit either way

Neither is better, though I voted girly-girl because I get really tired of people treating girls who happen to have a passion for fashion, makeup, and style as shallow and brainless. Tomboys of course face social problems for being "unfeminine"--you're pretty much damned if you do, damned if you don't--but I'm looking at this specifically from the perspective of geek culture. Since conventionally femme things like a love of makeup and fashion are seen as a sign of stupidity, those who value intelligence reject the girly-girls and praise the tomboys... even before the tomboy girl has done anything to indicate she's actually intelligent.

I'm not really a big fan of the term tomboy, even when used in a positive way. 1) I don't think it's healthy to applaud cisgendered girls for rejecting femininity, just the same as I don't think it's healthy to condemn girls for not conforming to feminine gender roles. 2) It just furthers the notion that there are concrete "girl" things and "boy" things. Just because you don't care for dresses and you love sports, that doesn't mean you're acting male.

Anyway... well-rounded people are the best people.

My main reason for voting "Tomboy" is simply because most of the girls I'm friends with carry traits that would be generally associated with the term. It's not like I'm that bothered one way or the other with regards the actual question.

Yeah but that's more of a stereotype thing really. I don't really know anybody who would definitely fit into either category personally, but I guess it's still the closest equivalent there is.

Maybe as a friend I'd prefer a tomboy, since I'd be more likely to have stuff in common with them. And it doesn't mean she has to be into trucks and beer and football; even I'm not into those things. :rolleyes:

That said, most of my female friends (my girlfriend as well) have a decent balance of both.

I generally prefer being around people who are more tomboyish, simply because I have more in common with them. I think most people are a healthy mix of both though and that shit is way more interesting that way.

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of "tomboys" come across almost like Daffyd in Little Britain except they have friends?

"But you're a chick. Right?"
"It says no girlS. We're allowed to have one."

Seriously though, even as a person who gets on better with guys*, I've started to hear "I have no female friends" as a warning sign no matter who says it. Ditto "no male friends", but people don't seem to brag as much about that. For me, "I have _few_ female friends" is shorthand for "I have few friends, and because I have tits I have found that some men are easier to approach than the alternative when it comes to casual meetups". It's not even a good thing in my own case, so my lack of trust for people whose entire sense of identity comes from being "one of [insert any group]" is probably reasonable.

*during the late teen phase where damn near everyone available in my town was an intolerable drunkard (that being the reason for their perpetual availability) and most reasonable people were busy at school or work, anyway

As for tomboys assumed to be intelligent, nope, sorry, I have never seen this. Girls who are clearly badge-wearingly into stuff associated with male "nerds", yeah, but not just straight-up "tomboys".

Yeah but that's more of a stereotype thing really. I don't really know anybody who would definitely fit into either category personally, but I guess it's still the closest equivalent there is.

Honestly, it's kind of a stereotype thing for girls too from what i've seen. It's easy to say of someone dresses in a tomboy or girly girl style from first impression, but once you really get to know a person they generally aren't just 100% girly girl or 100% tomboy.

I used to think of myself as a tomboy, with my more boyish interests in tv and video games, and humour. But I too am a fan of some girly clothes (skirts and dresses), cute things, and similar "girly" attitudes.

But I also don't dress or act specifically in a boyish or girlish manner. One day i'll feel like wearing a dress and another i'll just put on a sweatshirt and jeans. It's just dependent on my mood really, and people who categorize girls (or anyone for that matter) as acting and dressing a specific way 24/7 are misinformed.

I don't like how either group is stereotyped though. Tomboys get stereotyped to be bitchy or not caring about their appearance and girly girls get stereotyped as being stuck up and too concerned about their appearance. Don't like how tomboys are associated with short butch hair and girly girls are associated with long flowing hair either.

To answer the poll question though, I tend to get along better with the girls who are perceived to have more of the "tomboy interests" as I find myself leaning more towards that end of the spectrum.

Last edited:
I was looking my manliest with long straight hair. I've started to appear more feminine the more I cut off as it hangs wavier and looks more styled. "Unmaintained" seems to be synonymous with "manly" in a way, and if you have hair anywhere inbetween bald and super-long it's clearly the opposite of that.

Back