Ghost Busters reboot

Ratner is easily one of the hackiest directors out there, especially when it comes to comedy. Even Feig is a thousand times a better comedy director than him.

god I am shocked that Luke, out of all people, is saying this

I'm going to parlay a guess that your Al Bundy av is not entirely ironic!!

*slightly animates already-existing 3d model of something for 4 minutes, 500,000 views*

i don't get earth

Eh, it was cute enough aside from that stupid bit of him blowing his brains(?) out at the end.

i don't see how this merits any kind of attention. it's probably the easiest video ever to make and it's so stilted and weird. marsh man contorts his face for 4 minutes what a fun watch

Not defending the video itself because I agree it's nothing special, but are you really that shocked that a video shitting on that trailer is popular? It's just feeding off of people's love for the original and intense hatred of the trailer for the new one. Hell, you could probably do a single MS Paint drawing of Stay Puft with a pissed off scowl and have his pupils dart back and forth between looking at the viewer and the trailer for the duration, and it'd still get a ton of views/likes simply because of the sheer amount of hatred that trailer has gotten since it came out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Judging by both the released trailers... I have an ominous feeling that come summer, I'm going to know how Star Wars fans felt when they saw Phantom Menace. And Leslie Jones looks very much to be the new Jar Jar.
I'm not blaming her either - this isn't really her fault, it's Feigs (along with the producers)... That's her schtick and it works in it's own context. But it's not right for Ghostbusters. ignoring the dumb, kneejerk accusations that anyone feeling sceptical about it is either a misogynist or a racist, or both - and talking about the overwhelming bad feeling the two trailers so far have provoked - yes. Obviously there are a bunch of dickheads out there - and dickheads shout the loudest. But the majority of movie-goers aren't intolerant or bigoted. They made Nick Fury a black guy, no-one cared. The main protagonist of the new Star Wars film is a girl - again no-one cared. What fans do care about is the degree of care and respect given to the characters and concepts they hold dear. Marvel take that into account. J.J. Abrams takes it super seriously.
There's been zero care to treat the franchise with the respect it deserves. Hollywood has never paid too much interest in fanboy opinion, mainly because despite what these nerds think - fanboys don't make up the majority of box office receipts. They're only a fraction. But what Hollywood ARE smart enough to do is bring on to the project people who often are fanboys themselves, or are at the very least knowledgeable and extremely fond of the world of which they are about to take creative control. Getting Kevin Smith involved in Superman, getting Edgar Wright in on Ant Man, Joss Whedon on Avengers, Abrams on Star Wars etc...
Here they haven't done that. Feig has admitted he's not massively into Ghostbusters.
Ghostbusters means a lot to people, myself included and they're seriously underestimating how strong people feel about that movie. They've simply been arrogant enough to have ghostbusting merely serve as a backdrop to Paul Feig's usual comedies. An old clothesline onto which they can hang Feig's usual jokes and characters and setups. 'Bridesmaids performed well, so let's give it to him to do the same shit'. It's insulting. His stuff is fine for what it is - Bridesmaids and Spy were perfectly adequate comedy movies. but it's not Ghostbusters. It's like giving it to The Farrelly Brothers. Now, the Farrelly Bros are fine... they've done some bona fide comedy CLASSICS. but they're not right for Ghostbusters.

Another problem is that IF you think (like I do) that the fact all of them are women is a misstep, then you are labelled sexist.
Yeah, I'll admit i'm openly sceptical about the all-girl thing. But NOT because I'm sexist - there are a number of my favourite films in which the genders of the leads could easily be reversed and I'd have no problem with it - Withnail or Edward Scissorhands or Bambi etc. It's because like James Bond, a Ghostbuster is essentially a male character, and here's why -
the central JOKE and therefore the framework of the character - is putting these fantastical and other-worldly pursuits in the hands of the stereotypical workaday blue-collar schmoes. That's the gag. They're ciggie-in-the-mouth, bitching about their shifts EXTERMINATORS. that's what makes all the ghost stuff work... combining fantasy and folklore with the drudgingly mundane.
But that stereotype ( the workaday, blue collar schmo) with it's wisecracking, overalls-covered-in-shit and quoting outrageous and made-up-on-the-spot fees - is ostensibly male. We could pretend that it's not but in 2016 and even more so in 1984 - of course it is. Hire an electrician or exterminator and you'll see what I mean. I'd prefer it if more women were in those jobs but lets not kid ourselves that they are. If we went through the phonebook and asked i think the results would be pretty conclusive. But it's that contrast that enables us to go with the ghost stuff. There's no denying there's something about this new premise that seems a tad unconvincing and could throw the whole feel off track, the feel that made the first one so easy to connect with.
Also - what exactly is wrong with occasional androcentric movies? why is it a crime? Diner and Stand By Me are about the ritualistic bonds of male friendship... Now i'm not saying that's what Ghostbusters is about but It's like remaking Steel Magnolias with an all-male cast. Or making Bridget Jones a guy. What would be the point? it completely turns it into something else.

But - and I cannot stress this enough - unlike a lot of other people on the internet with the hump about this, i don't think this film being made and released is a travesty. it'll be at WORST - a disappointment and a missed opportunity.
It's just a film. It cannot taint the original nor detract from its brilliance and standing. All that stuff is still there to enjoy. If anything, if it IS a complete failure it'll teach Sony a valuable lesson that maybe - some things are best left alone.

It's better than the first trailer, I'll give it that. And Slimer looked pretty good

The girls look like they're begging the internet to like them in that thumbnail.

Have they seen the internet? It's terrible, it loves nobody.

Anyways, this movie looks just ok.

Yeah, I'll admit i'm openly sceptical about the all-girl thing. But NOT because I'm sexist - there are a number of my favourite films in which the genders of the leads could easily be reversed and I'd have no problem with it - Withnail or Edward Scissorhands or Bambi etc. It's because like James Bond, a Ghostbuster is essentially a male character, and here's why -
the central JOKE and therefore the framework of the character - is putting these fantastical and other-worldly pursuits in the hands of the stereotypical workaday blue-collar schmoes. That's the gag. They're ciggie-in-the-mouth, bitching about their shifts EXTERMINATORS. that's what makes all the ghost stuff work... combining fantasy and folklore with the drudgingly mundane.
But that stereotype ( the workaday, blue collar schmo) with it's wisecracking, overalls-covered-in-shit and quoting outrageous and made-up-on-the-spot fees - is ostensibly male. We could pretend that it's not but in 2016 and even more so in 1984 - of course it is. Hire an electrician or exterminator and you'll see what I mean. I'd prefer it if more women were in those jobs but lets not kid ourselves that they are. If we went through the phonebook and asked i think the results would be pretty conclusive. But it's that contrast that enables us to go with the ghost stuff. There's no denying there's something about this new premise that seems a tad unconvincing and could throw the whole feel off track, the feel that made the first one so easy to connect with.

What at a way to shit all over Ellen Ripley. Have you never held a real job alongside older women? You seriously think there aren't women wrinkled from worry and voices scraggled from decades of smoking working on cars and construction sites? For some reason you act like you aren't sexist and then try to use a trumped up "it's always been this way" as an actual argument, which is pretty much the foundation of continuing sexism today. You don't think there are fat 55 year old woman who tell jokes just as dirty as their male coworkers? You think women are so incapable of keeping dangerous jobs dealing with chemicals and equipment that we need to make sure our FICTIONAL PORTRAYALS continue to push that myth? And no, "androcentric" stories are not wrong, it's the total lack of "gynocentric" stories in the same vein that is the problem. If you think making ghostbusters into women is somehow going to make boys' coming-of-age stories in jeopardy, you're a paranoid sexist and you need to stop pretending.

I mean, not to mention... the only one on the original team who fit that blue-collar male theme was a character who was originally conceived as a very learned, no nonsense, badass ex-Marine who was rewritten cuz racism. The rest of the team consisted of two scientists and a con man. It's more about the characters not fitting the blue collar stereotype... scientists and ghost fighters don't usually go the exterminator route in these stories.

To be fair, I think Dr. Vent an was a legit brilliant guy, it's just his brilliance came off .. Strong.

Judging by both the released trailers... I have an ominous feeling that come summer, I'm going to know how Star Wars fans felt when they saw Phantom Menace. And Leslie Jones looks very much to be the new Jar Jar.

I haven't even seen the Ghostbusters trailer but are you kidding, seriously. The trailer for the Ghostbusters reboot is widely hated, and the hype and joyous anticipation for Star Wars Ep 1 was INSANELY high when that film premiered. There's absolutely no comparison at all in terms of fan reaction to any sort of teaser or trailer material between the two, or anticipation for these two movies.

But the majority of movie-goers aren't intolerant or bigoted. They made Nick Fury a black guy, no-one cared. The main protagonist of the new Star Wars film is a girl - again no-one cared. What fans do care about is the degree of care and respect given to the characters and concepts they hold dear. Marvel take that into account. J.J. Abrams takes it super seriously.

So you haven't seen the huge amount of whining about Star Wars being "female-centric" now due to Rey and Jyn Erso from Rogue One? The amount of whining about "forced diversity" in Star Wars, that TFA is the worst Star Wars film yet, etc?

There's been zero care to treat the franchise with the respect it deserves. Hollywood has never paid too much interest in fanboy opinion, mainly because despite what these nerds think - fanboys don't make up the majority of box office receipts. They're only a fraction. But what Hollywood ARE smart enough to do is bring on to the project people who often are fanboys themselves, or are at the very least knowledgeable and extremely fond of the world of which they are about to take creative control. Getting Kevin Smith involved in Superman, getting Edgar Wright in on Ant Man, Joss Whedon on Avengers, Abrams on Star Wars etc...

Edgar Wright got booted from Ant-Man, rather infamously. Also Kevin Smith was involved in a failed Superman project for a while and then exited - you should check out his "giant spider" story about it, it's hilarious.

Also, you keep talking about "Hollywood" like it's some monolithic entity with a singular brain. It's not. It's a bunch of diverse companies and people and opinions that don't always steer franchises in the right direction. The Marvel movies have succeeded because they've pushed a singular shared universe thread through a bunch of different films, and they tend to hold to that over the creative visions of the directors - just google Alan Taylor talking about the editing process of Thor 2: The Dark World and how upset he was that the film was essentially taken away from him during that process (which I think is rather unfortunate, since that kind of means they dont' really stand out in terms of cinematography or directorial style that much, though that seems to be slowly changing). Star Wars is already looking a little more diverse right out of the gate with Rogue One looking like a harder-edged war/heist film than previous SW films.

So, no, you're wrong.

Here they haven't done that. Feig has admitted he's not massively into Ghostbusters.

And a good director doesn't have to be: Nicholas Meyer wasn't a Trekkie and he directed possibly the greatest classic Star Trek film ever, Wrath of Khan.

Another problem is that IF you think (like I do) that the fact all of them are women is a misstep, then you are labelled sexist.

Yeah, assuming that someone couldn't be a blue-collar ghost hunter because they're a woman is kind of sexist.

You said a whole lot up there and all of it was wrong.

Last edited:
I'm not even planning to go see this in theaters. That's how much I'm sure it will suck.

I mean, if it turns out to be an alright movie, I might go see it. But I'm pretty sure it will bomb.

Back