General Sonic the Hedgehog thread

Kangdos

Stonecutter
What's everybody's relation to this franchise? Any part of it, the games, the cartoons, the movies. Did you grow up with it? Are you still into it? Are you still into the older stuff and don't care for the newer stuff?

I was a lad during the height of the Sonic craze of the first half of the 1990's, so of course I grew up with it. Even those boys that hated Sonic because they were Team Mario still grew up with it, in the same sense as those on Team Sonic grew up with Mario, because you're alwas hyper aware of the things you hate.

As for me I got into Sonic primarily thanks to the cartoon The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. This cartoon made me interested in the games. In fact, this cartoon ultimately made me interested in video games in general since Sonic was a gateway to the larger video game medium that I simply didn't gave a hoot for prior to that. So yes, I joined the army (so to speak) for Team Sonic during the Great Console War of the Fourth Generation. I never owned a Mega Drive but I played Sonic at friends, and I did have Sonic CD on PC. However, I eventually commited the ultimate shame and deflected to the other team. My parents got me a SNES for christmas of 1995 because it was bit cheaper than the Mega Drive and I became a Mario kid.

As a teenager though, I re-played Sonic Adventure and all of the Mega Drive games at a friend, and it re-ignited my latent love for the hog, and I've never strayed away from the series since...

...which the rational part of my mind knows I reeeeeeally should have done because so many post Sonic Adventure 2 games suck so goddamn bad. Well the main titles at least. But honestly also a hell of a lot of the spin off's. Sonic 06, Rise of Lyric and Black Knight are some of the ones that wounded me the most, just like they did nearly anyone that played them. But hey at least most of those horrible games had really cool music.

So what else? Well my favorite character is Metal Sonic, my favorite game is Sonic 3 combined with Sonic and Knuckles, my favorite stage is Hydrocity Zone act 2, my favorite game of the past 10 years is Mania, and my obligatory secret furry crush that all Sonic fans are required to have is Eggman (I interpret him as a walrus).

Oho, I was kind of both a Sega and a Nintendo kid, I was playing both sides so yeah, I've had some Sonics that I grew up with. First was actually Sonic Jam, which was a compilation of the first four games on the Sega Saturn. Pretty sure my disc was scratched or faulty or something because it took til Sonic Mega Collection for me to learn that actually, Hydrocity Zone and Marble Garden do have music... or in Hydrocity Act 2's case, music that wasn't just a half-second loop. For some reason I was an idiot kid and never even noticed anything off.

My likely fave game is a boring pick, Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Or Mania... Adventure 1 I've got some real fond memories too. Like trying to fight Perfect Chaos after being discharged from hospital and still droopy from anaesthetics.

For characters... I kind of have a theory that my enjoyment of a Sonic adaptation hinges basically 90% on its Eggman/Robotnik. That guy just steals the show for me. When I was a kid I really liked Knuckles too because he was red (I was little, okay) and still like him a lot too.

Also! I think it's been out for a while but has anyone seen that one 16-bit fan remake of Sonic Triple Trouble? Seen a bit of it and it looks puh-retty good!

i guess i should start with how i got into sonic. i always knew about sonic as a kid, played alot of the games and enjoyed it quite a bit, but i never really reached fan status, i never could fall in love with the games the way i did with other franchises, but that changed shortly after. in 2013 a few days after my brother passed, i sat down and started playing one of the sonic games i had ''Sonic heroes'' i was sucked into it, the cheery story, the upbeat music, and the bright level design all taking away all my sorrow and sadness and for just a little bit, making me forget.

i remember reaching that final cutscene, with the bitter sweet music in the end, and sonic saying goodbye. and being sad that i'm saying goodbye to these characters, after the journey we went on. i was afraid to let go, to close this game and go back to the real world.

if you didnt notice i REALLY like sonic heroes

YES, SONIC THREAD!!!!!

I will share my thoughts another time, but glad there is a Sonic thread

i guess i should start with how i got into sonic. i always knew about sonic as a kid, played alot of the games and enjoyed it quite a bit, but i never really reached fan status, i never could fall in love with the games the way i did with other franchises, but that changed shortly after. in 2013 a few days after my brother passed, i sat down and started playing one of the sonic games i had ''Sonic heroes'' i was sucked into it, the cheery story, the upbeat music, and the bright level design all taking away all my sorrow and sadness and for just a little bit, making me forget.

i remember reaching that final cutscene, with the bitter sweet music in the end, and sonic saying goodbye. and being sad that i'm saying goodbye to these characters, after the journey we went on. i was afraid to let go, to close this game and go back to the real world.

if you didnt notice i REALLY like sonic heroes

That's heartbreaking. But also beautiful. Media is truly at it's most impactful when mere coincidences regarding when exactly we experinced it paints it in colors that can never be washed away, regardless of what anyone else has to say about that media.

lol, not gonna lie, but I totally forgot about this thread.

The Sonic franchise is a franchise I have enjoyed since childhood. I remember playing Sonic Rush for DS & Sonic Heroes on the PS2, and I did enjoy Sonic Heroes more as I sucked horribly at platformers. There are also the Mario & Sonic Olympic games too, along with Super Smash Bros Brawl, and I enjoyed playing Sonic in Brawl, probably one of my favourite characters to play as after Lucario.

When it comes to the animated series, I've seen at least one episode from all of them. the 3 90s Sonic animated series (although, back then, I thought it was just 2) aired on POP alongside the 90s Mario animated series back in the mid 2000s, and I remember catching an episode back then.

The reason why I thought there was 2 Sonic animated series from the 90s is that I thought Sonic SatAM & Adventures of the Sonic the Hedgehog were the same show, how, I'm not sure, but as a kid, that is what I thought. There is also Sonic X, which aired on Jetix, and I did have 2 DVDs, although I don't know where they are atm.

I wasn't really aware of the Mario vs. Sonic war during my childhood, but if I were to choose, I probably would of went with Sonic as it looked cool, and kid me probably would of been scared of been made fun of for liking Mario (don't ask, not sure why, kid me is, weird).

At one point during my childhood, I did own one of those DS cards that held multiple games, and one of those games was Sonic: The Dark Brotherhood, which I do remember enjoying.

During my teen years, the main Sonic thing I was into was Sonic Generations on the 360, which I do remember enjoying. I do remember checking out the Sonic Boom TV series and liking it, and while she was a divisive character, I did like Sticks. The internet did introduce me to the wider Sonic universe, for the good (such as the history of the franchise and its war with Mario), and, for the bad (Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 and The fandom...just, the fandom, even with safe search on, it can be, a trip, honestly, I don't know which fandom is worse in the weird/cringe side of things, Sonic, Pokémon, The Loud House, Ben 10 or My Little Pony).

Since my teen years, I have played more Sonic games, such as trying out the Sega Ages Sonic game on Switch, and both Forces & Frontier on PS4, but I didn't get far in either. As for Sonic Prime, I remember enjoying the first Season, but did not enjoy Season 2, and I haven't seen Season 3 yet, partially because I didn't enjoy Season 2, but also I've been focused on other projects. I also have some of the Sonic games on Steam that I have yet to play such as Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, and am excited for Sonic x Shadow Generations.

As for the live action movies (which I nearly forgot about, was just about to "Post Reply" and just about remembered), I remember enjoying 2 more. Similar to a lot of people, I care more for the Mobians more than I do the Humans (same with Sonic X honestly). Sonic, Tails & Knuckles are way more interesting compared to Tim (I think that's the main human's name), Tim's wife, Tim's Wife's Sister, Tim's Wife's Sister's Daughter, Tim's Wife's Husband and the other humans not named Robotnik);. The Knuckles TV series looks pretty good too.

I still enjoy the Sonic franchise, mainly for the character designs and lore of the franchise, and what the franchise has done for the gaming sphere. My favourite character would probably be Blaze, she looks cool, has a badass personality and has cool powers/abilities, plus, fire is probably one of my favourite powers/abilities in fire. Honestly, I mostly love the rest of the characters just as most.

Well...and this is an unpopular opinion, I'm not a fan of Big the Cat, I don't dislike him, and can see why people are a fan of him, but I just find him to be really uninteresting and I find his voice to be rather annoying, especially when he says "Froggy". Can't think of any other character I dislike, I don't mind Omachao (honestly, when it comes to "annoying" navigation/help characters, I don't usually mind them nor do I find them annoying, another example been Navi from The Legend of Zelda).

I will say in regards to Amy Rose, I do feel mixed on her. There are aspects I do like of her (such as her Hammer abilities, and from what I've been reading and watching videos, Amy's role in the IDW comic is pretty cool, plus, I do look at Amy Rose as one of the awesome female characters of media during my childhood similar to Katara from ATLA & Misty from Pokémon). However, there are aspects, well, one main aspect that I don't like about her, that been how her attraction to Sonic is depicted.

Two more things I want to say, first, I prefer Sonic over Super Mario and secondly, Chao are the one of the cutest creatures in video game media.

Aw, I love Big. Gentle giant purple tabby? Yes, please. I played a lot of GBA and GameCube Sonic games. Sonic Battle remains my absolute favorite, though I did enjoy Advance 2 greatly. Thinking of getting Sonic x Shadow Generations for Switch later in the year.

I have loved every Sonic game I've ever played except Sonic Chronicles. Hate that game.

I'm like halfway through Episode 5 but really enjoying the Knuckles show so far you don't really need to watch it to understand Sonic 3 but it's a nice little in-between and interested on where they will go from here for character spin-offs in between movies plus it's been cool to know a little more about Wade and his family and his relationship with Knuckles

I've so far been so disapointed in the live action movies that I have no urge to see the Knux show, but I'm open to the possibilty that it's actually better than the movies.

Also, one of my main gripes with the live action films probably isn't as prevalent in the Knuckles show, since that gripe is Sonic himself.

I cannot stand the live action version of Sonic. He makes me groan with everything he says. He's such a stomach churning mix of try-hard and lame. A cutesy hyperactive zoomer stereotype whose completely inoffensive and toothless and yet try to come of as cool. And he's so socially needy, the exact polar opposite of video games Sonic. Video game Sonic (especialy when written by japanese writers) is such a badass antisocial asshole (in a good way) that his friends have to come chase him down when they wanna see him. He's a cool drifter who isn't burdened by needing others approval. Film Sonic is the opposite, where his whole motivation in the first movie being his emotional need for friendship and social acceptance. Laaaaaaaaaame.

I like to think I'm pretty familiar with the Sonic franchise. I've played:

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic 3 and Knuckles
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Mega Collection Plus
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing
Sonic and the Secret Rings

I'm very nostalgic for Heroes and All-Stars Racing, as they both absolutely nail the laid back vibe I love about this franchise, and their soundtracks are god tier. I haven't played any of the more modern releases, and the new movies are pretty okay.

Yeah, I was hoping that there would be one, but unfortunately, there is not

Speaking of Sonic Sega is currently either canceling or postponing Sonic Central cause it's not happening on Sonic's Birthday week

Back