General DVD & Blu-ray Thread

Here are my Xmas presents which include DVDs. Should have posted sooner, ah well!
IMG_20230112_152817711.jpgIMG_20221221_115030879.jpg

Bulbasaur mini - from my friend Justin
Dvds - from my brother's family (nephews chose them)
Bulbasaur plush - from my boyfriend Johnny

Received my order of the first four seasons of Family Matters.

1AXJc7P.jpg

Last edited:
Time to show that've gotten so far this year, which excluding the two DVDs on the bottom (which are from my local Saint Vincent de Paul's) mainly consists of eBay purchases.
DSCN2111.JPG

Here's what I ended up getting last month:
DSCN2192.JPG
The DVD for Rocky Mountain Holiday is the only one that's an eBay purchase. It also came from the same Goodwill store where I got my Cee Lo's Magic Moment CD which is located about two hours away in Racine.

Here's what I ended up getting last month:
View attachment 3900
The DVD for Rocky Mountain Holiday is the only one that's an eBay purchase. It also came from the same Goodwill store where I got my Cee Lo's Magic Moment CD which is located about two hours away in Racine.
Chicken Run, a childhood favorite of mine, and I still love it to this day.

Chicken Run, a childhood favorite of mine, and I still love it to this day.

'Chicken Run' was surprisingly great when I watched it like a year or two ago (first time since the early 2000's, at least). Has held up so well. I don't think the sequel will come close (or even feels necessary at all) but I still hope it's well made.

It's fun rediscovering old DreamWorks animation films, for me thanks to thrift shops. Picked up 'Antz' & 'Monster Vs. Aliens' on DVD last month (March) and they are still very good fun and entertaining, maybe 'Antz' in particular (forgot how well made it was).

Last edited:
It's been a while since the last time I've made a post, so here's what I've gotten since April:
DVDs.jpg

The items in the first image are from my local Saint Vincent de Paul's, the ones in the second are from my library's most recent book sale yesterday (all of which are former rentals that they've since discarded) and the last from a smaller thrift store on the other part of town.

IMG-20230609-WA0003.jpg

"Egad ! What a book Blu-ray set !" Nice to get some cartoons that never were properly available in physical media and beautiful restorations. No Clampett cartoons which I don't mind, I love his cartoons as much as the next guy but pretty much every of his cartoons minus the Censored Eleven ones is available on every Looney Tunes DVD set right now, so it's cool to get some novelty instead of sneaking in some 'What's Opera Doc ?' again. There are so many underrated gems in this one, several from the very underrated director Art Davis ('Catch as Cats Can' is finally restored and is gorgeous). Hope this is selling well and they'll do more of those. We need more Looney Tunes Blu-ray sets - or just classic cartoons Blu-ray sets in general, especially considering the wave of restored cartoons on HBO Max (most of them not available on the streaming service as of now) since 2020.

Last edited:
I really want to continue to build my DVD & Blu-Ray Collection, but it feels harder to do that these days for me. Golden Disc is the only DVD Store in Ireland (at least that I am aware of, although apparently HMV might be making a comeback in Ireland). There is CEX which is more of a second-hand store, but the problem with Second-Hand purchases when it comes to DVDs (and Video Games too) is that they could be damaged as it has happened to me before with 2 games I purchased at CEX, and Ebay...well, its Ebay. Of course there is Amazon UK, but ever since Brexit, Amazon UK has apparently been ripping people off if they are purchasing from Ireland so that's out the window. There is also region locking aswell, so purchasing DVDs from a US site is also out the window too.

I might take a picture of my current DVD collection along with some VHS Tapes, while the old VHS recorder my parents had is broken, thankfully I was able to get my Grandparents old VHS TV to use for those.

@Jackomon, Have you tried looking around for more secondhand/thrift stores? They usually have a lot of DVDs & Blus (often in a really good condition, even if opened) so I suggest you scout those places, if there's any you can find over there, of course. Maybe there are some more local online retailers as well (if you can't find any sites based on the UK that aren't a rip)?

Also, it would be neat to see pic(s) of your home media collection (DVD, VHS, etc) so far, for sure.

Last edited:
"Egad ! What a book Blu-ray set !" Nice to get some cartoons that never were properly available in physical media and beautiful restorations. No Clampett cartoons which I don't mind, I love his cartoons as much as the next guy but pretty much every of his cartoons minus the Censored Eleven ones is available on every Looney Tunes DVD set right now, so it's cool to get some novelty instead of sneaking in some 'What's Opera Doc ?' again. There are so many underrated gems in this one, several from the very underrated director Art Davis ('Catch as Cats Can' is finally restored and is gorgeous). Hope this is selling well and they'll do more of those. We need more Looney Tunes Blu-ray sets - or just classic cartoons Blu-ray sets in general, especially considering the wave of restored cartoons on HBO Max (most of them not available on the streaming service as of now) since 2020.

Furthermore, that seem to be nice Looney Tunes set, @Wile E. the Brain.

I think I saw that one being announced on Bluray.com before. I did a quick search and I see that aside from the restoration, it seem like a barebones release with no features or anything else, plus 20 short cartoons do feel a bit on the slim side (maybe especially when Blu's have so much room on the discs as they do) and one can never know if they'll cancel the planned series of releases (with that being the first one), but it is still great they are still releasing shorts physically (and a Blu release for some is surprising, too).

Makes me wish Disney'd reprint all the Walt Disney Treasures DVD sets (that has the classic Disney shorts from the 1920's and on) and give them a full wide release (with only maybe a handful or two sets getting released outside the US).

@Jackomon, Have you tried looking around for more secondhand/thrift stores? They usually have a lot of DVDs & Blus (often in a really good condition, even if opened) so I suggest you scout those places, if there's any you can find over there, of course. Maybe there are some more local online retailers as well (if you can't find any sites based on the UK that aren't a rip)?

Also, it would be neat to see pic(s) of your home media collection (DVD, VHS, etc) so far, for sure.
There is a thrift/second-hand store and a charity shop in a nearby town, but its selection doesn't usually interest me or doesn't have what I'm looking for.

As for other UK based sites, I don't think majority of them sell to EU countries anymore due to Brexit (unless I'm wrong), if they did, I would of looked up the shop I went to back during my London trip in February. HMV UK would of been the other place I would of gone given its still around in the UK.

The interesting thing regarding HMV that I just realized is that before it went out of business in Ireland, it was merged with another store called Xtravision which I keep forgetting still has an online presence, but the times I have been there, its selection doesn't really interest me.

@Jackomon, I see what you mean about not being satisfied with the sites and stores you've been visiting. I wish you good luck when searching, plus you can probably check online and find out which sites, not just UK ones but maybe from Europe & Nordic countries too?, that sells & ships to your country without problems: Usually it's stated under "shipping info" or in the checkout section.

By the way, what is is that you are mainly looking for and is interested in that isn't in the stores and shops you've visited?

I think I saw that one being announced on Bluray.com before. I did a quick search and I see that aside from the restoration, it seem like a barebones release with no features or anything else, plus 20 short cartoons do feel a bit on the slim side (maybe especially when Blu's have so much room on the discs as they do) and one can never know if they'll cancel the planned series of releases (with that being the first one)
It is indeed a bit of a shame that the release doesn't have a little more cartoons in it nor any feature (compared to the Woody Woodpecker Blu-Ray set I bought last Christmas which got 25 cartoons and some features even if their quality varies) ; then again, it's a Warner Archive release to begin with, and I expect those to be lighter in content since they're mostly aimed at collectors - hence the name of this set (I believe the only Looney Tunes release that was from Warner Archive until now was the Porky Pig 101 set which contains all B&W Porky shorts). Considering Warner's strange and obnoxious current lack of faith in the Looney Tunes franchise, it's still cool to have this set in the first place and it's the opportunity to prove them wrong since they need to be available in physical media form as much as possible, there are still so many fans out there and so many great cartoons to enjoy in high quality. Even without features, I don't regret my purchase, it's a great set for Looney Tunes aficionados (and with french subtitles for once so it's cool for me, aha).

Makes me wish Disney'd reprint all the Walt Disney Treasures DVD sets (that has the classic Disney shorts from the 1920's and on) and give them a full wide release (with only maybe a handful or two sets getting released outside the US).
Disney seems even cheaper when it comes to their own classic cartoons from the Golden Age. Recently, there was Blu-Ray releases of restored Mickey and Minnie cartoons and Mickey and friends cartoons to celebrate Disney's 100th anniversary... containing 10 shorts each, and without any feature as well. Meh.

Thought I would start sharing my collection by showing what I have available in my VHS collection. Right now, the only ones I have down from the attic are Pokémon: 4Ever & a bunch of Pre-School VHS tapes, I have other VHS tapes but they are either up in the attic or have since been sold or given away. I do have another image that showcases a bunch of VHS tapes, but the problem with it is
- Its poor quality
- Has more personal VHS tapes too

From what I can see from the image, the VHS tapes I have are:
- Space Jam
- Toy Story
- Monsters Inc
- Peter Pan
- Finding Nemo (possibly?)
- Clifford the Big Red Dog
- Hercules
- Bear in the Big Blue House (possibly?)
- Some Nickelodeon/Nicktoon VHS tapes that I can't recognize, I only know its from Nick is the iconic orange Nick logo itself. They might be Rugrats VHS tapes, but they also could be SpongeBob VHS tapes
- There are some more Bob the Builder VHS tapes too
- Madeline (the live action movie)

From memory, the other VHS tapes I have are:
- Pokémon: Mewtwo Returns
- 2 Original Pokémon Series Anime VHS Tapes (Volume 3 & Volume 11, I have a very vague memory of purchasing them in a local VHS store that closed down around 2008/2009)
- The Jungle Book (I have a feeling this VHS has either been sold or has been given away)
- While I don't like talking about the franchise anymore due to the author, I will mention that I also have Harry Potter: The Philosopher's Stone on DVD, although I think it belonged to my Sister if anything as she is a big Harry Potter fan while I'm always mixed on Harry Potter, even before I realized how awful the author is, and I would say it belongs to my parents as I myself disown that VHS tape.

Attachments

• pokemon 4ever vhs.jpg
    pokemon 4ever vhs.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 3
  • VHS.jpg
    VHS.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 3
DVD Collection #1

Here is my first batch of DVD images:

1. The first image is of Naruto & HSM. I have always loved the HSM trilogy, even saw the 3rd one in cinema. As for Naruto, I got these 3 DVDs when I was starting to get into the anime back in 2013/2014.

2. The second image has Infinity War & Endgame, I didn't really think about the blu-ray version when I got Infinity War, but obviously I got it for Endgame, I feel like I was missing out by not watching Endgame on Blu-Ray. As for The Simpsons Movie, you probably noticed that its just a disc in a green case, and honestly, I don't know why. I assume I got this DVD legally, so what happened to the case I'm not sure. I do have a vague memory of watching the movie back in my Primary School days, and perhaps the copy was mine and somehow I either forgot or lost the case, but like I said, I'm not sure.

3. My sis got me this and I have yet to watch it still, just not interested in the moment.

4. Got this during my Teenage Sitcom phase, pretty into TBBT for a while, by Season 9 thou I was starting to lose interest which is why I only have up to Season 8 when it comes to the DVDs

5. I've had all these for a long time, I think I was gifted the Ice Age movies. The Garfield DVD is basically broken and no longer works thou, and it isn't the only one. And yeah, I have almost all the Kung Fu Panda & Ice Age Movies, just don't have Ice Age 5 (I would rather pretend the Buck Wild movie doesn't exist), and Kung Fu Panda 3, but I have a feeling I'm not missing out by not having Ice Age 5.

6. Aside from Justice League which I purchased back in February, the rest of these belonged to my Sister. I have been interested in watching the Hunger Games franchise for a while, and Kick Ass I have seen before, same with Akira.

7. For context, the two Naruto DVDs on the Top left are different, one is just "The Will of Fire" while the other is a collection of movies. Also, I have not opened the Land Before Time DVD, as I remember buying it quite randomly. As for the MLP DVD, I just purchased that one and am currently thinking of selling it. I do plan to get more CSI: Miami & Modern Family DVDs, also don't know how long I've had the Suite Life DVD for. Equestria Girls was a recent purchase as for SpongeBob, I have had them for a long time. Also, I think those 3 DVDs cover the first three Seasons, but I recently put them on my PC to see if they still work and surprisingly, they do, even thou I remember one of them starting to act up for me. I do remember been pretty into SpongeBob as a kid, and then during my teenage years I went through a phase where I hated SpongeBob (it wasn't alone as I had the same feeling towards Scooby-Doo). As for why I went through that phase, I'm not sure

Attachments

• DVDs #3.jpg
    DVDs #3.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 3
  • DVDs #2.jpg
    DVDs #2.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DVDs #1.jpg
    DVDs #1.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 3
  • TBBT.jpg
    TBBT.jpg
    895.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Game of Thrones.jpg
    Game of Thrones.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Avengers & Simpsons Movie.jpg
    Avengers & Simpsons Movie.jpg
    704.2 KB · Views: 3
  • naruto hsm.jpg
    naruto hsm.jpg
    965.1 KB · Views: 3
DVD Collection #2

And here is the 2nd (and for now, last batch) of images.

1. There's my collection of Pokémon DVDs, including 2 versions of Pokémon 4Ever. I used to have DVDs for Heroes & Jirachi Wish Maker but I am unsure where they are. They could be in the attic as I don't remember selling them, although I know that Pokémon: Heroes was starting to freeze

2. Bunch of Disney movies along with The Bee Movie & Over the Hedge. I have to rewatch The Bee Movie, I remember liking it as a kid but looking back, I can see it wasn't a good movie. Also, I remember purchasing Bambi II thinking it was the first Bambi Movie, but I enjoyed Bambi II, along with Bolt & Lady and the Tramp II.

3. Dragon Ball, Princess Mononoke & The Batman are purchases I made in February, still have to watch them. I do regret not purchasing Into the Spider-Verse on Blu-Ray. And yeah, I have 2 Simpsons DVDs, I purchased the Christmas DVD in the early-mid 2010s, while Season 4 I purchased last year alongside Digimon Tamers. Even thou I have Kiki's Delivery Service on DVD, I've only seen it on TV, got it as a gift alongside Ponyo which I also have yet to see. Also watching Detective Pikachu Blu-Ray was an interesting experience

4. The final image here, most of these are recent purchases, aside from the Halloween blu-ray which I got October 2021, and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns which my sister gave me, although she only had Part 1. ATLA & Korra I purchased before February, but I recently learned that the copy of ATLA I have is from Germany as the episode title cards & default language are both German (thankfully, there is english audio). I do worry it'll be the same for Korra, but watching it, the DVD quality of the DVD isn't great, at least compared to Netflix. As for the other DVDs, the only one I've seen is Batman: The Killing joke, which I dislike, not a good movie, I do have the comic which I got as a gift a few years ago. I did enjoy Batman: The Long Halloween thou. I have seen The Judas Contract before and I like it for the most part, but I am not a fan of the Terra/Slade relationship even thou I am aware its comic accurate.

There are other DVDs I have but they are either in the attic, given away, has since been sold or somewhere in my room.

Attachments

• pokemon.jpg
    pokemon.jpg
    718.2 KB · Views: 6
  • disney.jpg
    disney.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 6
  • animesimpsons.jpg
    animesimpsons.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 5
  • dc.jpg
    dc.jpg
    1,010 KB · Views: 5
Even without features, I don't regret my purchase, it's a great set for Looney Tunes aficionados (and with french subtitles for once so it's cool for me, aha).

I agree with what you have to say on the release overall. Even though it could be better (and heck, why not port over those special features from the old Golden Collection discs? I have a few of those and I remember they got some cool stuff), it is still a new home release with classic cartoons in the era of streaming where home media seem to get less and less focus (and for all the collectors out there, I hope that WB will continue these releases and not abruptly cancel them, which kind of feels like a possibility, maybe especially since you mention how they have a lack of faith in the Looney Tunes franchise these days, but hopefully they'll stick around).

By the way, what are those shorts that haven't been released before on any other home media release? Just curious.

Disney seems even cheaper when it comes to their own classic cartoons from the Golden Age. Recently, there was Blu-Ray releases of restored Mickey and Minnie cartoons and Mickey and friends cartoons to celebrate Disney's 100th anniversary... containing 10 shorts each, and without any feature as well. Meh.

The Walt Disney Treasures series do seem to have covered most of their shorts (so I wouldn't call that being cheap), but they are out of print since long (I have a number of them from when they were still available) and one can only hope to see them pop up on Disney+. I heard of that Mickey & Minnie set and it sure sounded disappointing (it's insane how it only had 10 shorts) and it all the more makes me wish they'd either just re-release all the Treasures sets or put all the classic shorts on the streaming service (But I think that will never happen; I mean, not even Warner has all the shorts on HBO Max, I'm assuming. So strange there's all these streaming channels and neither WB or Disney can have a complete streaming archive of all their classic short cartoons. It's like something streaming is tailor-made for).

(Oh, and I didn't expect to see such extensive posts from you, @Jackomon, but it's still really neat to hear you show your collection)

Today I learned @Jackomon is not from America because of a label on their Pokemon DVDs. I'm so sorry I just automatically think that's where everyone's from until they say otherwise. My bad.

I just automatically think that's where everyone's from until they say otherwise. My bad.
Honestly, I tend to do that a lot myself too, although I think that might having to do with a lot of websites like YT, Discord, Twitter and more been based in the US if anything

why not port over those special features from the old Golden Collection discs? I have a few of those and I remember they got some cool stuff
Yeah, they definitely should. I especially loved the "Behind the Tunes" little documentaries. They're very insightful and part of what built my knowledge of the franchise, its characters and how those cartoons were made at the time.

By the way, what are those shorts that haven't been released before on any other home media release? Just curious.
Most of the cartoons on the set are or were available on HBO Max but none of them has been released on a proper Looney Tunes set since the Laserdiscs (some were released as features on the DVD or Blu-Ray of some Warner movies, but not restored). 'Beanstalk Bunny' and 'Catch as Cats Can' are the only two that never were restored and released prior to that set.

and one can only hope to see them pop up on Disney+
Disney+ is currently releasing some newly restored classic cartoons so here's hoping for more (because 27 just isn't enough).

Been a while since my last post due to not having a lot of luck afterwards. But after a few months I've found enough to warrant a new post.
DSCN2396.JPG
The T&F VHS and 6teen DVD are from my local thrift store, the Wal-Mart exclusive Cars bonus DVD is from my local Saint Vincent de Paul's, the VHSs for The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth and Blu-ray for Roger Rabbitt are from my library's most recent book sale last month during my town's city-wide garage sale which was also when I got the Blu-ray for Brave and lastly the remaining VHS tapes are from the most recent rummage sale at my local Methodist church this past weekend.

VeggieTales: Rack, Shack & Benny - Among the highlights of what I've gotten recently as this is the original release from 1995. What I mean by that is when this show first came out there was a song in it called The Bunny Song which featured such lyrics as "I don't love my mom, or my dad, just the bunny" and "I won't go to church, and I won't go to school. That stuff is for sissys, but bunnies are cool!". Shortly afterwards, Big Idea (the company behind VeggieTales) would receive letters from parents complaining about how their kids would sing the original lyrics while they were out in public. Despite this, the original version of the show was still available to purchase in Christian bookstores as late as late 1997 before being rereleased the following year with the lyrics to The Bunny Song being changed to "I don't love my soup, or my bread, just the bunny" and "I won't eat no beans, and I won't eat tofu. That stuff is for sissys, but bunnies are cool!".

And although it's not expensive if you want to get it off of eBay, it is hard to come by because some copies of the 1998 version (mainly the ones released in Christian bookstores) are identical to the original 1995 release with the exception to the changes to The Bunny Song as well as the series' theme song being changed to an updated version that was made around the same time, and will be the first indication of what version you got. So, it's going to be a massive gamble if the copy that you find is the original 1995 version, or the altered rerelease from 1998 which I myself fell victim to at least twice in the past (though luckily those copies were both under $1).

6teen: The Sushi Connection - I've mentioned the DVD releases of 6teen before and how most of the time they would have at least one episode that never aired on CN here in the US and this release has not one but two episodes that never aired in America! The title episode was left unaired due to it's subplot where Nikki is promoted to assistant manager at her job and is given a nametag reading "Ass. Man" which yes, is repeatedly acknowledged throughout. And the other unaired episode on this released called Enter the Dragon was the episode where the main girl characters (Nikki, Jen and Caitlin) all go through their periods, which I might've previously mentioned in the thread for The Ghost and Molly McGee around the time they were about to air their own period episode as an example of Canadian animated shows from the 2000s having episodes dealing with that subject but were ultimately left unaired when said shows were eventually imported to air in the US.

Brave - Honestly, not one of my favorite Pixar films. However, it was being sold as shown here for only $1 which was definitely a price that couldn't be beat, plus it'd been 10+ years since I last saw the movie and figured maybe my opinion of it would change for the better. And after rewatching it about a week after getting it, while it's not one of my Top 10 favorite Pixar movies, I came out of it liking it a bit more than before and now prefer it over at least two of their other films, The Good Dinosaur and Lightyear.

Back