General CD/Vinyl/Cassette Thread

@CousinMerl Yeah, you found some pretty good picks and one awesome one (the DKC one) recently.

Of the ones you found recently, the ones I don't have and have any interest in (besides the DKC one) are the compilations (minus the Phil Collins one as I have that) and that Red Hot Chili Peppers album. The rest I either have or don't have any interest in.

@John95, I might add that sometimes (such as with those finds from last month), I picked up a bunch of extra albums (some not pictured) even if I don't have a lot of knowledge and/or interest in the artists to try out their music & get to hear how a full album of theirs sound like (some don't end up doing much for me, but others I end up liking, like abeformentioned RHCP album; I think the first row contain those those that stood out the most to me, but the compilations too; the Collins one is probably my least favorite of those to be honest, lol).

Eithe way, they are all so cheap so it doesn't really matter if some of them fall flat to me. Those I can just give away so someone else can pick up and enjoy them (in case of there being some fans).

Last edited:
Here's the rest of what I was able to get last month:
DSCN1884.JPG
DSCN1892.JPG
DSCN1894.JPG
The Diary of Alicia Keys and the soundtracks for Sleepless in Seattle and South Pacific are from my local Saint Vincent de Paul's, while the rest are from the other local thrift I tend to frequent.

Here's what I got during the first few weeks of the month, which is a mixture of items from a book sale (Demi Lovato and Jethro Tull CDs), my first eBay purchase of any kind since the complete series set of Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure (soundtrack for Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie) and my local thrift store (everything else).
DSCN1899.JPG
Jethro Tull - War Child: Don't let the Half Price Books sticker fool you, I got this from the book sale where it was only $.50. When I find stuff secondhand, I often like to keep the price stickers on them from wherever they originally came from.

Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie Soundtrack: My first eBay purchase in quite a while. Originally released in theaters in 2002, I've posted before about finding the VHS back in May (and I've had the original 2-disc DVD since 2011), and I also wanted to have the soundtrack in time for the actual 20th anniversary of the film which was October 4th. By the time it arrived, it was very down to the wire as it arrived the day before. The only way it could've been any more down to the wire was if it arrived the day of which by then would've been the 11th hour.

@John95, I guessed you'd have almost all of these save for Noiseworks.

Bottom right is the second Spin Doctor's album 'Turn it Upside Down' (which means I got both the first and the second; have barely heard of the band before, tbh) & it might just be one of the most weird, almost bizarre, albums I've heard recently (not sure if it's bad or good) The first is definitely the better one (and seem to be the one album they're known for), but I suppose the second is still a bit of a curiosity.

Noiseworks I hadn't heard of either before (picked it up since it just looked interesting) and it turns out they're a somewhat obscure Australian rock band who only had a few studio albums, among which this one is their debut album and I found it surprisingly good so I'd recommend). According to Wikipedia, they seem to still be active, having popped up every now and then.

Last edited:
I got a new job and treated myself to super deluxe version of Revolver. I haven't cracked it open since I got home late and was tired; however, I am looking forward to hearing the mono recording.

Attachments

• VinylSuperDeluxeproductshot_Revolver-SpecialEdition.png
    VinylSuperDeluxeproductshot_Revolver-SpecialEdition.png
    558.5 KB · Views: 1
One of the best Beatles albums (if not the best).

That version looks neat, @Scrooge McDuck. At first I assumed it's a variant of an anniversary edition from last year or so (they seem to get reissued from time to time) but I looked it up and it would seem this Super Deluxe Special Edition Vinyl (the names of these do feel a bit much sometimes) is a completely new (and expensive) release. Hope it sounds good.

Last edited:
One of the best Beatles albums (if not the best).

That version looks neat, @Scrooge McDuck. At first I assumed it's a variant of an anniversary edition from last year or so (they seem to get reissued from time to time) but I looked it up and it would seem this Super Deluxe Special Edition Vinyl (the names of these do feel a bit much sometimes) is a completely new (and expensive) release. Hope it sounds good.
I love that it has mono recording of both the album and 45s of Rain and Paperback Writer. Rain is an excellent song, one of my favorites of John's. Ringo's best drumming also. The cool thing is that the pressing is done at 45rpm. It's probably my favorite albums next to Abbey Road.

Here's the rest of what I got this month which is a mix of stuff from my local Saint Vincent de Paul's, thrift store and another eBay purchase.
DSCN1914.JPG
Neil Diamond - 12 Songs: An album I only got because it was packed with the Forever Diamond pack instead of Touching You, Touching Me. Though interestingly when I got home, I found out that when this album first came out in late 2005 it was infamous for being one of several that initially had a copy protection system that would automatically install a rootkit when placed in a computer. Although the album was repressed shortly after to remove the rootkit, there's no way to determine if my copy is an original or the reprint and I'm not gonna risk damaging my computer to find out.

Sam Smith - In the Lonely Hour: I actually had this album in a previous post. However, that copy was lacking the front cover which this one has.

Fantasia Disc 2: The second disc from the original CD printing of the soundtrack for Fantasia from 1986. I actually already had disc one which is from the 1990 reprint to coincide with it's theatrical rerelease that year.

A Classic Cartoon Christmas: The eBay purchase of the bunch. What made this album worth getting was how two of the songs on it mark the only time that music from 1987's A Muppet Family Christmas have been released on CD. Coincidently, this album was released in 1996 which was the same year that the special was first released on home video in the US. But the timing of me getting this album couldn't have been any more ironic as the day it arrived (October 25th) was the same day that Jules Bass passed away and about half of the songs on this CD are lifted from several Rankin/Bass specials including two from Santa Claus is Comin' to Town where he wrote the lyrics to the songs made for the special.

Here's what I've been able to find so far this month:
DSCN1937.JPG
The first four CDs plus the cassettes (the ones without their proper cases are Glen Campbell's Rhinestone Cowboy and Billy Squier's Signs of Life) are from my local thrift store, the nine below them are from Saint Vincent de Paul's and the soundtrack for Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas is from eBay despite it being a copy that was a former library rental.

Asia - Gold: This is an interesting one as it's actually a reprint of the band's 2002 compilation album Anthologia which compiles all the tracks from the band's first three studio albums (Asia, Alpha and Astra), three b-sides from the 80's and the four new tracks that were recorded for their first compilation Then & Now released in 1990. I actually had that album already, but this one now renders it superfluous.

Here's the rest of the CDs that I got last month. It's mainly a mixture of things from my local thrift store and Saint Vincent de Paul's, though the soundtrack for The Muppet Christmas Carol is from eBay.

(the CD in the purple case in case you can't see it properly is License to Ill by the Beastie Boys)
DSCN1969.JPG

it was a while since I posted here. Not a lot of new stuff recently (but I hope to find some interesting ones this month). I might as well post my bunch of random thrift pickups from October (first row) and November (second row), though.

534547.jpg

Last edited:
CDs1.jpg
I've been on an absolute roll so far this month! And every time that I mean to make a post of what I've gotten so far, I end up finding myself with at least 10 more CDs! Most of these believe it or not are all from my own hometown between a mix of visiting my usual thrift stores and the final book sale for the year at my local library. The ones in the bottom right (as well as the 45's) are from the Goodwill and a few other thrift stores at least 45 minutes outside of town which me and my mother went to when we went to the Wal-Mart in Tomah last Wednesday.

The only CD so far to not fall into either of these is the Cee Lo Green Christmas album which I got off of eBay. However, it was still purchased within the state as it was bought from the eBay store for the Goodwill location in Racine which is a city about two hours away.

The only CD that isn't pictured here is Please Please Me by the Beatles which is part of one of the highlights of what I've gotten in terms of CDs so far this month, nearly all of the the Beatles' main discography (Please Please Me through Let It Be, plus the two volumes of Past Masters) which was from the aforementioned book sale at my local library! Prior to that, all that I had from the group consisted of a few compilations (mainly the Red & Blue albums, the former of which I also have on LP), Revolver (their only studio full album I had prior to now, as I also had disc 1 of The White Album but not disc 2 but now I have them both), both of the Past Masters volumes and the Let It Be... Naked remix album from 2003.

EDIT: The last 45 in case it's hard to read what it is is Snoopy's Christmas by The Royal Guardsmen, one of my favorite Christmas songs.

@John95, Well, I figured you'd show up here again with a lot of new acquisitions, but firstly, I thought it would be after this week, and secondly, that batch is literally insane. I count 151 CDs (give or take, of course) and there's a lot of neat finds in there; lots of sales & well-stocked thrift shelves around you. You truly are a CD nut (in a good way) :D & I think you're gonna need a bigger shelf 🦈.

All of those 'Beatles' albums stand out (while I have several of their albums at home, I don't think I'd ever come across their whole discography in under a mere month, plus you were also lucky others hadn't gotten to them before you did) & I'm guessing they didn't cost you a fortune as they were all used and thrift-priced (and I assume they weren't victims of that "popular artist markup" which I spoke of before, as with some thrift stores & sales, the more big name bands & artists usually come at a higher price tag).

(Oh, and I see you also found the Red Hot Chili Pepper's album I picked up earlier (Californication). Might be one of my favorite albums I found this year, in all honesty. Hope you like it as much as I did).

I'll post my new stuff at start next of next week (and may include those that have eluded showing up on prior images).

Last edited:
I count 151 CDs
I actually count multi-disc sets as one, so overall it's a little less. I did end up with a few of those like the 3 disc 20 Years of Jethro Tull anthology (minus the LP sized box it comes in) and a two disc 1972 part studio/part live album from John Lennon that are in separate cases and not a usual double sized CD case. Also, the middle item in the last row of the second image is actually a book that's part of the 4 disc John Lennon Anthology set from 1998 which makes up the other four items in the same row.

I think you're gonna need a bigger shelf
Yeah... That's another reason why it's taken me so long to post. I've been organizing all the CDs I have and I'm someone who alphabetizes them by artist/group and arranges soundtracks by their show's/film's release date. And just when I think I'm done or close to it, I find at least 10 more and if even one is from an artist that starts with either A or a number (such as the 2 Unlimited one), I basically have to start all over.

I'm guessing they didn't cost you a fortune as they were all used and thrift-priced
Nope! These were all from the book sale where the most anything cost was $.50 with there also being stuff in boxes marked "Free" (which also had a few of the other CDs pictured as well as a few VHS tapes). In total, all the albums from the Beatles' main discography that I didn't have cost me $7.50.

In fact, whoever donated those Beatles albums was also clearly into the solo careers of most of them as well as evidenced by some of the other ones I got (including Ringo Starr's Blast from the Past, which marked me finally having at least one CD from all four of them during their solo careers). Though I didn't see anything from George Harrison.

Luckily, in my neck of the woods I don't have to worry about "Popular artists markup", just that it might be a long while before I see another CD from a particular artist like the Beatles show up in my town. Though what I do have to worry about though is "First come, first serve" as even on the rare occasions where I don't get a particular album from one of my thrift stores one week, there's the possibility it won't be there the following week. And nowhere does that apply more then when the library has one of their book sales.

I actually count multi-disc sets as one, so overall it's a little less. I did end up with a few of those like the 3 disc 20 Years of Jethro Tull anthology (minus the LP sized box it comes in) and a two disc 1972 part studio/part live album from John Lennon that are in separate cases and not a usual double sized CD case. Also, the middle item in the last row of the second image is actually a book that's part of the 4 disc John Lennon Anthology set from 1998 which makes up the other four items in the same row.

Oh, I see. However I was counting each cover as one album (and on a recount I got to to 155) but I wasn't factoring in the mult-disc ones (which in case there would be a lot more individual CDs). Also didn't spot the Lennon Anthology book in there. Still a whole lot of CDs for one month (and I can imagine the sellers giving you funny looks when you come carrying small towers of CDs).

Yeah... That's another reason why it's taken me so long to post. I've been organizing all the CDs I have and I'm someone who alphabetizes them by artist/group and arranges soundtracks by their show's/film's release date. And just when I think I'm done or close to it, I find at least 10 more and if even one is from an artist that starts with either A or a number (such as the 2 Unlimited one), I basically have to start all over.

I can see how that's a problem, especially when being so meticulous. Hope it goes (or went) well arranging them (And if I may make a suggestion, why not put those titles that start with a number as they are spelled out, so 2 Unlimited goes in the shelf's T-section. That feels the most logical, but putting numbered titles ahead of A also seem to work; some lists do that for instance).

Nope! These were all from the book sale where the most anything cost was $.50 with there also being stuff in boxes marked "Free" (which also had a few of the other CDs pictured as well as a few VHS tapes). In total, all the albums from the Beatles' main discography that I didn't have cost me $7.50.

In fact, whoever donated those Beatles albums was also clearly into the solo careers of most of them as well as evidenced by some of the other ones I got (including Ringo Starr's Blast from the Past, which marked me finally having at least one CD from all four of them during their solo careers). Though I didn't see anything from George Harrison.

That's nice. I assume the 'Beatles' ones werent from the Free" boxes though (I cannot those being just given away, lol). And true, someone must've been a huge 'Beatles' nut and then just given all they had away. Strange book sale though (as they sold a lot of used CDs & VHS tapes); sounds more like some sort of flea market for home media, rather (but sure, they certainly would've had a lot of books too).

Luckily, in my neck of the woods I don't have to worry about "Popular artists markup", just that it might be a long while before I see another CD from a particular artist like the Beatles show up in my town. Though what I do have to worry about though is "First come, first serve" as even on the rare occasions where I don't get a particular album from one of my thrift stores one week, there's the possibility it won't be there the following week. And nowhere does that apply more then when the library has one of their book sales.

Well to be honest, I've only seen one place that likes to mark up the albums by the popular artists & bands (my favorite has them all priced at the same cheap level) and I assume it's a fairly standard practice to not price the albums differently in most thrift/charity shops (unless it's trying to be some "speciality" store). The "first come, first serve" thing is definitely an issue for all thrift shops though (and I recognize that same problem as you, albeit in some cases the album, movie, etc. will be there when I go back some days/week later).

Last edited:
(and I can imagine the sellers giving you funny looks when you come carrying small towers of CDs).
No. In all cases everyone from the places where I was buying CDs from were very respectful of me buying so many in one go. In fact, one of the people working at one of my local thrift stores referred to me as their best customer the last time I was there (which was Tuesday) because of how many I'd bought from there that day as well as the prior Friday (which make up the third and second to last images).

why not put those titles that start with a number as they are spelled out, so 2 Unlimited goes in the shelf's T-section. That feels the most logical, but putting numbered titles ahead of A also seem to work; some lists do that for instance
Because I put them together based on their official group spellings which uses a number instead of said number being used as a word. Plus, all the ones I have spelled that way don't even amount for a full shelf space.

Strange book sale though (as they sold a lot of used CDs & VHS tapes); sounds more like some sort of flea market for home media, rather (but sure, they certainly would've had a lot of books too).
It is a book sale because the majority of what they do sell are books. Like, I'd say their media stuff (CDs, records, cassettes, VHS tapes and DVDs) only amounts to like 25% of what they sell and they don't have anything else besides those (though this one did also have a Toys for Tots like thing set up since it's December). There were actually a few I got from there that day, mainly vintage Sesame Street though I also got Simpsons Mania: The History of TV's First Family which was released very early into the show's run as it mentions Season 2 as upcoming and that Harvey Fierstein would be one of the guest stars (whose episode was only the second one to air).

It was also at one of their earlier sales this year that I got that Owl House book I mentioned a while back.

No. In all cases everyone from the places where I was buying CDs from were very respectful of me buying so many in one go. In fact, one of the people working at one of my local thrift stores referred to me as their best customer the last time I was there (which was Tuesday) because of how many I'd bought from there that day as well as the prior Friday (which make up the third and second to last images).

Yeah, that's what I figured (Was half joking with my comment, btw); And I can believe you've made your mark as one of their best customer to the point of them referring to you as just that. I also am a bit of a regular to the places I frequent so hether I have bought a considerably bunch of DVDs or CDs or just one or two they have always been respectful and kind (not questioning or commented, really, other than maybe once or twice but in a positive way, no funny looks or anything).

Because I put them together based on their official group spellings which uses a number instead of said number being used as a word. Plus, all the ones I have spelled that way don't even amount for a full shelf space.

That I understood, but I was thinking about whether you ended up putting their albums before A (as numbers come before letters) or if you went with putting them at the start of the "T" section in the end (so as they are pronounced, not spelled) as you spoke about being unsure (and said you had to do it all over again after being seemingly done). I put numbered titles (for music & movies) ahead of those starting with the letter A (so the first variant), but I have been thinking of doing it the second way, treating the numbered titles as how they are pronounced (as that seem to be the "official" way).

It is a book sale because the majority of what they do sell are books. Like, I'd say their media stuff (CDs, records, cassettes, VHS tapes and DVDs) only amounts to like 25% of what they sell and they don't have anything else besides those (though this one did also have a Toys for Tots like thing set up since it's December). There were actually a few I got from there that day, mainly vintage Sesame Street though I also got Simpsons Mania: The History of TV's First Family which was released very early into the show's run as it mentions Season 2 as upcoming and that Harvey Fierstein would be one of the guest stars (whose episode was only the second one to air).

Ah, now I see (also some interesting tidbits you've got there, such as the Simpsons book). Still, you've had a fair bit of luck when only 25% makes up for the home media yet you've made a lot of nice finds.

Last edited:
Stuff I got this month (December). Top album is one that has been on my wishlist (Song Machine, Season 1 by Gorillaz) and the standout of the bunch (from a CD sale at an online shop). The rest are random thrift finds. Not a whole lot but still something.

2022123102.png

lots of great new jack on that shanice, been looking for it myself.

@CousinMerl I also have that Shanice album and a different one for the Lovin' Spoonful. Also saw that Dire Straits album at my Saint Vincent de Paul's a while back but didn't get it.

@zach I have it as well. Got it at a garage sale a couple summers ago.

lots of great new jack on that shanice, been looking for it myself.

Someone with good taste, I see. How nice you like it too. Hope you'll find it soon.

The story behind my copy is that it's one of my "mystery albums" (a term I'd use for those that I find at a thrift store & I'm not familiar with the artist or album or both yet I pick it up since it seem interesting & hope to enjoy it). The Motown label made it intriguing so I gave it a go and I wound up really enjoying it. Nice album with a good mix of mostly r&b, new jack & even some hiphop; much is my kind of jam (or one of them). Have come back to it a few times. Too bad the artist & the album seem to be rather obscure/forgotten.

@John95, I'm a little surprised that you have it (I thought it'd be one of those you didn't have, maybe in part as most of the albums you've posted don't seem to be in that genre or the like, so I assumed you weren't into it all that much) but still neat to know you own it. Also if you come across the Dire Straits one ('On Every Street') again I definitely recommend it.

Last edited:
oh yeah i've got some great stuff on blind buys. one of my favourite records was one, Ozone's Walk On. definitely some garbage though too.

here's my new jack stack:
324650205_6256443464388122_7159941183705602946_n%20(1)%20(1).jpg

tapes too:
324354131_752064992478560_2605067764781500591_n.jpg

@zach, Yeah, thrift blind buys can give a lot of love (or not, but I've been happy with most I've picked up).

That is a pretty neat vinyl collection. Hard to see all the titles (such as due to scuff marks and barely visible titles) and most I'm not too familiar with, but there's no doubt a lot of good stuff in there. I suppose you also have some albums on CD.

Also cool to see some cassette tapes as well. I like how a couple of them are movie soundtracks (And I see you've even got Dangerous on tape, though that is probably one of the most well known and popular new jack albums). I also see a 'Heavy D & The Boyz' album among them, which reminds me of one of my thrift blind buys from last year being 'Peaceful Journey' by the same artist (Got that one? I would recommend it if you haven't got it yet. A nice new jack/r&B/hiphop album IMO).

Last edited:
have only a couple new jack on CD, tons on late 80s/early 90s pop though.

yeah man Heavy D is one of the best out there!

Finally getting around to showing all that I've found so far this year. Everything in the top photo is from my usual thrift stores barring the soundtrack for The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything which is an eBay purchase while the CDs in the bottom photo are from my library's first book sale of the year which occurred this past Saturday.
DSCN2120.JPG
DSCN2107.JPG
As one can see from the photo of what I got from the book sale, I continued having luck here after the prior one in December where I got most of the Beatles' main discography among many more. This time, the highlight was the 14 Jethro Tull CDs I found which brings my current discography of theirs to all of their studio albums from 1968's This Was to their Christmas album from 2003 (excluding 1978's Heavy Horses, the case for it was there but the disc that should've been inside was missing), one compilation (Living in the Past), a 3-disc box set (20 Years of Jethro Tull) and three live albums! And it's actually pretty obvious that these albums were donated by the same person who donated the Beatles albums as well as the Jethro Tull ones I got at the last sale as one of them (Crest of a Knave) has a sticker on it just like the Beatles ones from last time did (likely to better keep track of the chorological order of the albums). This combined with the other albums I got makes me look forward to their next sale (April 1st, no seriously) to see if they'll keep putting CDs out from this one person's collection that they're only able to put so much of out at one time due to space.

Thought I'd show off my thrift albums from this February (at least thus far).

cds 01.png

Not a lot (as usual, dwarfs in comparison to @John95's usually very hefty pickups) but I still feel I've found some good & interesting ones this and last month. I don't seem to come across as many thrift albums as of recently (also one of the thrift stores I frequent have shrunk down their selection considerably for the time being, sadly) but whenever I do find a bunch, I give a good look through to see if there's anything interesting (and perhaps a blind buy or two). Still fun to go album hunting and to find something that draws my attention.

Back