Futurama Volume 5 DVD and Blu Ray (December 21st)

DotheBartman

SuperFriend
Oh hi dudes.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Futurama-Volume-5/14507

TV Shows on DVD said:
You asked for more...and the Planet Express crew delivered! Welcome back to FUTURAMA, the light-years-ahead-of-its-time animated series from The Simpsons creator Matt Groening. Join Fry, Bender, Leela and the rest of the gang for 13 hilarious new episodes that tackle some of the most controversial subjects in the galaxy...including evolution, mind exchange, feline intelligence and robosexual marriage. Hey, it could happen!

After 4 seasons on the Fox Network, Futurama was officially canceled in 2003, but it proved to be too popular and simply refused to go away. The 20th Century Fox studio and show creators Matt Groening (The Simpsons) and David X. Cohen initially brought the series back in 2007-2009 as a group of 4 direct-to-video films (Bender's Big Score, The Beast with a Billion Backs, Bender's Game and Into the Wild Green Yonder). These were all later broken up into 4 parts each, and those 16 "episodes" were aired on Comedy Central as a "5th Season" for the show. This proved rather popular, and in addition Groening expressed publicly a desire to continue the franchise. So the studio and the cable channel worked out a deal for a 6th Season (with the original voice cast) to begin airing on Comedy Central, starting this past June 24th. 13 Episodes will have aired by Thanksgiving Day in the USA.

This morning Fox Home Entertainment has announced to retailers that on December 21st, just days before Christmas, they will release those 13 episodes as 2-disc sets titled "Futurama - Volume 5" on both DVD and high-def Blu-ray Disc formats. Bonus Material on both versions (may not be finalized, and could be subject to change) will be Audio Commentary, Deleted and Extended Scenes, "Bend it Like Bender", "Previously On…", "Fry's Crudely-Drawn Comic Book - The Crudely Animated Edition", "Behind the Fungus: Makin' a Hit Song", "The Prisoner of Benda" Table Read, "Fry's Crudely Drawn Comic Book Alternate Design" and a Bender Audio Outtake.

Episodes are presented in widescreen video (in high definition on the Blu-ray version), with audio in English (in 5.1 Dolby Digital on the DVD, and in 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio on the BD version). There's also an option on each version for audio in Spanish Dolby Surround, plus subtitles in English, Spanish and French. Cost is $39.98 SRP (CA$54.98 SRP in Canada) for the DVD set, and $49.99 SRP (CA$69.99 SRP in Canada) for the Blu-ray Disc version. Package art, featuring Bender chomping a cigar, is the same on both formats as you'll see below. Check it out:

Futurama_V5_DVD.jpg

Episodes to be included (for those that don't know):
"Rebirth"
"In-A-Gadda-Da-Leela"
"Attack of the Killer App"
"Proposition Infinity"
"The Duh-Vinci Code"
"Lethal Inspection"
"The Late Philip J. Fry"
"That Darn Katz!"
"A Clockwork Origin"
"The Prisoner of Benda"
"Lrrreconcilable Ndndifferences"
"The Mutants Are Revolting"
"The Futurama Holiday Spectacular" (Previously known as "Holiday Val-U-Pak") (also airs November 21)

Special Features:

Bonus

* Full Length Audio commentaries on all Episodes

Deleted Scenes:

* Too Good for Television!
* Behind the Fungus: Makin' a Hit Song: Futurama star Billy West hits the studio to record the 31st-Century mega-hit "Shut Up and Love Me."
* Previously on Futurama:The rarely-before-seen episodic openings of the Futurama DVD Epics
* The Adventures of Delivery-Boy Man:An Original Video Comic Book, Scribbled and Performed by Philip J. Fry
* Bend It Like Bender:Bender's First, Best, and Only Music Video!
* The Prisoner of Benda: Live Table Read Live and unrehearsed, the Futurama cast takes their first plunge into the script. Accompanied by early storyboard animatic footage.

Blu-Ray link: http://www.amazon.com/Futurama-5-Bl...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1286773984&sr=8-1

DVD link: http://www.amazon.com/Futurama-5-Ma...1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286823265&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Last edited:
It looks really nice and all, but why does it feel like they will release all the 26 new episodes in a single set sometime next year?

The only problem i have with it is the title "Volume 5." I like to store these shows chronologically and now i have to decide if i want what looks better (Vol.s 1-5 and the movies) or what's chronological (vol.s 1-4, the movies, Vol. 5). But that's just me nitpicking. That cover art kicks ass though.

The only problem i have with it is the title "Volume 5." I like to store these shows chronologically and now i have to decide if i want what looks better (Vol.s 1-5 and the movies) or what's chronological (vol.s 1-4, the movies, Vol. 5). But that's just me nitpicking. That cover art kicks ass though.

Surely it's season 1-4, the movies and volume 5 (not a complete season). It's all sorts of inconsistent but it gets more money out of us so they're ok with it.

I have all 13 new episodes on my computer but I can easily see myself impulse buying this in the store purely for the commentaries

Hmmm, I was hoping they would re-release the movies in a Volume 5 box, then in a year release the 26 Comedy Central episodes in a Volume 6 box, but whatever. I'll get the episodes any way I can.

That boxart looks amazing! If only it were in the shape of Bender's head... Then it would be perfect.

I have all 13 new episodes on my computer but I can easily see myself impulse buying this in the store purely for the commentaries

Hey, DVD sales is one of things that's driving Futurama. It's almost our patriotic duty as fans now! Vote with your wallet!

(Well, that's what the networks suits would want us to believe, but I'm still buying the DVD anyway.)

That boxart looks amazing! If only it were in the shape of Bender's head... Then it would be perfect.

The "Complete 1999-2009" series set actually came in a giant plastic Bender head.

http://www.amazon.com/Futurama-Complete-Collection-Matt-Groening/dp/B0029XFNBC

(Check out some of the pictures. Way more badass than those awful "Simpsons" equivalents.)

troymclure17 said:

Kind of a nitpick for me too I guess, but we have to consider that your average buyer doesn't know the difference between "production seasons" and "aired seasons" and all that, so they have to follow chronologically based on what the last actual "Volume" set was. Otherwise people would just get confused.

And hey, the cover art is great.

I have no problem with it being called volume 5, because the movies aren't really part of the TV series and the last box set was called volume 4. And I do understand the problem that would occur if someone bought the "volume" sets in order and went from 4 to 5 without seeing the movies, leaving a gap in continuity, but surely calling it "volume 6" would cause just as much confusion, and releasing the movies as volume 5 seems technically incorrect (maybe if they called it "volume 5: the movies", it would be better).

That cover is awesome, I like the propaganda poster look better than the covers for the last 4 seasons, actually. And if it actually sells for 40 bucks (55 in Canada, where I am), then that sounds pretty steep for 13 episodes. It isn't airing over here though, so I'm excited to pick this set up.

I was really hoping they would release the movies in one box (don't care if they call it Volume 5 or not), so I could pick up the whole set for $25 new or $15 used, but now it looks like I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and pay that much for each one separately

But yeah, this new set looks awesome, I'll put that on my Christmas list

Actually, in production order, the movies DO count as season five. In fact, if you check the end credits on the DVD versions, you can see that they each have codes assigned to them (Bender's Big Score, for instance, has 5ACV01, 5ACV02, 5ACV03, and 5ACV04), indicating that they all constitute four episodes each.

The problem becomes that your average fan, even a fairly big one, wouldn't really know this without reading message boards about it on the internet. Or maybe listening to all of those commentaries. So yeah, "Volume 5" makes the most sense.

Huh, I didn't know that. I'm outraged now! (not really)

Wow. I'm not one to really comment on cover art.. But that is awesome.

Very striking cover art. I hope the inside still sticks with the mini-DVD cases that combine to form a larger image.

I'll have to pick this up, although it'll be annoying if they release a 26-episode set down the line.

Cohen said they probably would.

interview's somewhere around here.................

edit: I take that back, he said nothing of the sort.

iF: So the DVD coming out in December is the 13 that just aired?

COHEN: Yes. Just because the way Comedy Central has scheduled airing them, we would have to wait forever basically to release the new ones on DVD, if we waited for all 26 were shown. It makes sense to put out the 13 that were released this year. And the holiday episode will be on there. We’re going to be doing some DVD commentaries on there too.

Last edited:
Seems like an awful lot to pay for 13 episodes, but still looks like a great set

Cover art's awesome

Seems like an awful lot to pay for 13 episodes, but still looks like a great set

In practice I'm sure it'll be cheaper...the Blu-Ray version is already up for pre-order on Amazon (see the link in the original post, not edited in) and at a price lower than the MSRP for even the DVD.

when i checked that out on amazon it suggested i use the payphrase "Jet's whimsical fiddle".

i mean seriously that cover art is mindblowing.

I mean, does anyone pay full price for DVDs, like, ever?

I'm pretty accustomed to paying at least 10-15 below the MSRP. I don't think even Virgin Megastore ever charged full price for anything. The four Futurama movies were all 30 each, but did anyone actually pay that? Come on now.

EDIT: Case in point, Amazon has their DVD price up now and it's 28. Check out the original post.

Last edited:
Fucking awesome box art!
Getting it mostly for the commentaries.
Does anyone know how thick the box will be, it looks like its going to be in a similar case to the movie, only this time 2 discs instead of one.

Notably, the Amazon prices have dropped: 30 for the Blu-Ray, 23 for the DVD version.

A Peelified post suggests an even cheaper way of getting both, but I haven't yet verified it.

Peelified user said:
Someone posted this deal in the forums DVDtalk.com I jumped on it and I thought I'd share it with all the true Futurama Fans on here.

You can get the Volume 5 blu-ray for $19.49 shipped or the DVD for $14.99 from FoxConnect.com (Fox's DVD/BD online storefront).

When you add either one to your cart, it currently deducts an additional $3.00 off the current pre-order prices of 24.99 (Blu) and 19.99 (DVD).

Add the discount code QC12YT9EA in the Shopping Cart's coupon box for an additional 10% off; UPS Ground shipping is free no matter how you checkout -- but UPS 2nd Day shipping is free IF you checkout using Google Checkout.

End result: $19.49 shipped for the Blu-ray and $14.99 shipped for the DVD.

Back