Favourite Double-Albums

skully the poltergeist

Al Jeany apologist
Have been listening to Springsteen's album The River today and it got me thinking about how difficult it is to produce a double-album that actually deserves its length. Can only think of a handful that don't ultimately descend into self-indulgence or repetition so here's my favourites;

The Clash - London Calling: Seem to remember it being met with a collective shrug when discussed in discord but I love almost every track without exception. The exploration styles is pretty remarkable from what had previously been a four chord punk band.

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde: Obviously i was gonna mention Bob. Not gonna pretend that this album isn't self indulgent but the explosiveness of Bob's lyrics are unparalleled here.

The Beatles - The White Album: There's not really much I can say about this, it's the definitive double album in many ways. There's a handful of tracks that I don't care for but I also think the album as a whole would be poorer with their absence.

Nick Cave - Abattoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus: This very much feels like two separate, fully-realised albums both of which are absolutely phenomenal. It was my introduction to Nick Cave so it'll always be a special album to me. Was definitely the right place to start since it encapsulates so many of the elements that make him such a remarkable artist.

What are everyone else's favourite double-albums?

blonde on blonde and the beatles are my two favourite albums. some others i like:

- miles davis' early '70s run (esp. live-evil)
- ella fitzgerald's late '50s songbooks (esp. cole porter)
- minutemen - double nickels on the dime (1984)
- prince - 1999 (1982) + sign o the times (1987)
- the rolling stones - exile on main st. (1972)
- the smashing pumpkins - mellon collie and the infinite sadness (1995)

Back