Every episode rated!! Ohhhh yeah!!

The Sweetest Apu all the way in the D levels? Isnt that the one with Elton John? that one was pretty funny. "Edna K! Its a little run together but its there!" I havent looked at how you ranked the other episodes. We all have our own favorites. Whats fun to see is which episodes we hate.
Kill the Alligator and Run....F!

No "I'm with cupid" Is the one with Elton John, The sweetest Apu Is the one where Apu cheats on Manjula with the Squishee Lady

SideshowTim said:
No "I'm with cupid" Is the one with Elton John, The sweetest Apu Is the one where Apu cheats on Manjula with the Squishee Lady

Oh...well that one wasnt so bad either. I think it was one of the better ones involving the Nahasapeemapetilon family. The only really bad part was that horrible lawyer character. Sigh....I miss Lionel Hutz.

Simpson and Delilah? Lisa's Substitute? I have read several posts on these boards glorifying these episodes and I dont see what's so great about them. They are average at best in my opinion. I found Lisa's substitute to be an extremely creepy guy, as was Homer's assistant in Simpson and Delilah. Seriously, whats so great about these 2 episodes? Ive seen dozens upon dozens of Simpsons episodes that definitely outshine these two, story-wise, and definitely funny-wise.

Good job on the list though! :)

Helper Monkey said:
Except "War of the Simpsons" should be moved from B to B+. How could you rate it so low!? I'm sorry, but makes your list totally invalid.

Well the Bart/Lisa/Grampa subplot is all A+ material, but the Homer/Marge A plot is where the episode falters. Actually having emotional stuff in an episode is a plus point, but the emotional stuff has to be good, just like the funny stuff to be good. I felt it was underdeveloped, boring, unengaging, didn't make enough sense (for example, he throws the fish away and suddenly everything's fine?), and wasn't at all funny. I know heavily emotional stuff is always going have less laughs than a regular plot, but even in the darkest, most emotional episodes like Life In The Fast Lane or Lisa's Substitute, there was still lots of wit there, unlike War Of The Simpsons. One of the weakest of Season 2.

Hans Moleman Jr. said:
the only thing id disagree on, is some enchanted evening.

the animation is appalling, worse than the Ullman shorts. Homer is the immensely irritating Walter Matthau sitcom-dad type guy. It is very slow-paced, for absolutely no reason ; in episodes like Moaning Lisa or Bart vs Thanksgiving it was slow-paced so we could see the characters develop. Here, there isn't any emotions involved and the plot is hardly complex either. It's just very, very boring to watch, and even with the slow pace it seems nonsensical and disjointed at times. The last two times i've tried to watch it i've turned it off halfway through. The twist at the end is nice, but apart from that it's a very poor episode. Season 1 kinda covered all the bases, from awful to classic.

Mohammed Jafar said:

Well the Bart/Lisa/Grampa subplot is all A+ material, but the Homer/Marge A plot is where the episode falters. Actually having emotional stuff in an episode is a plus point, but the emotional stuff has to be good, just like the funny stuff to be good. I felt it was underdeveloped, boring, unengaging, didn't make enough sense (for example, he throws the fish away and suddenly everything's fine?), and wasn't at all funny. I know heavily emotional stuff is always going have less laughs than a regular plot, but even in the darkest, most emotional episodes like Life In The Fast Lane or Lisa's Substitute, there was still lots of wit there, unlike War Of The Simpsons. One of the weakest of Season 2.

Heh. Wow. Thanks for the explanation. And to think I was just kidding. I stand in quiet awe of your well-reasoned list.

:standing in quiet awe:

HM

Well, I got around to finally compiling a list of every episode myself. As promised, here's my list. There aren't as many A+s as in your list Mohammed Jafar, but (I think) there are more in the other categories.

A+

Lisa's Substitute
Like Father, Like Clown
Homer At The Bat
A Streetcar Named Marge
Homer the Heretic
Mr. Plow
Homer's Triple Bypass
Marge vs. the Monorail
Krusty Gets Kancelled
Homer's Barbershop Quartet
Treehouse of Horror IV
Sideshow Bob Roberts
Homer Bad Man
Lisa's Wedding
Home Sweet Home-Diddily-Dum-Doodily
Lisa the Iconoclast
The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show
My Sister, My Sitter

A

Krusty Gets Busted
The Way We Was
Brush with Greatness
Three Men and a Comic Book
Flaming Moe's
Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk
I Married Marge
Lisa the Greek
Colonel Homer
Black Widower
Brother from the Same Planet
Duffless
Last Exit to Springfield
Cape Feare
Rosebud
Homer Goes to College
Marge on the Lam
Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy
Homer the Vigilante
Homer and Apu
Lady Bouvier's Lover
Bart of Darkness
Treehouse of Horror V
Lisa on Ice
Bart vs. Australia
Bart Sells His Soul
Mother Simpson
22 Short Films About Springfield
Much Apu About Nothing
Summer of 4 Ft. 2
Homer's Phobia
The Brother from Another Series
Homer's Enemy
Lisa's Sax
Treehouse of Horror VIII
Lisa Gets an "A"
Trilogy of Error
Half-Decent Proposal
Little Girl in the Big Ten

A-

Moaning Lisa
Simpson and Delilah
2 Cars in Every Garage, 3 Eyes on Every Fish
Itchy & Scratchy & Marge
One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
Bart the Murderer
Saturdays of Thunder
Homer Alone
Lisa's First Word
Selma's Choice
I Love Lisa
Boy Scoutz N the Hood
Sweet Seymour Skinner's Baadasssss Song
Secrets of a Successful Marriage
The Boy Who Knew Too Much
Lisa's Rival
Itchy & Scratchy Land
Bart's Girlfriend
Grampa vs. Sexual Inadequacy
A Star is Burns
Two Dozen and One Greyhounds
Lemon of Troy
King-Size Homer
Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming
The Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular
Team Homer
Scenes from the Class Struggle in Springfield
Homer the Smithers
The Day the Violence Died
Bart on the Road
Raging Abe Simpson and His Grumbling Grandson in "The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"
You Only Move Twice
Mountain of Madness
Treehouse of Horror XI
Tales From Public Domain

B+

Bart the General
Life on the Fast Lane (aka Jacques to be Wild)
Dead Putting Society
Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment
Homer Defined
Treehouse of Horror II
Radio Bart
Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie
Deep Space Homer
Homer the Great
Homie the Clown
Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Total)
Lisa the Vegetarian
Marge Be Not Proud
Two Bad Neighbors
Bart the Fink
A Fish Called Selma
Homerpalooza
Burns, Baby Burns
Bart After Dark
El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer (aka The Mysterious Voyage of Homer)
The Springfield Files
The Cartridge Family
The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons
Natural Born Kissers
Mayored to the Mob
Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner?
Pygmoelian
Behind the Laughter
HOMR
Worst Episode Ever
Hungry, Hungry Homer
Treehouse of Horror XII
Sweets and Sour Marge
Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge

B

Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire
Bart Gets An F
Dancin' Homer
Principal Charming
Lisa's Pony
Bart the Lover
Bart's Friend Falls in Love
Brother Can You Spare Two Dimes?
Kamp Krusty
Lisa the Beauty Queen
Marge Gets a Job
New Kid on the Block
The Front
Whacking Day
Marge In Chains
Bart's Inner Child
$pringfield (or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Legalized Gambling)
Bart Gets Famous
Burns' Heir
The Springfield Connection
The Homer They Fall
Lisa's Date with Density
Hurricane Neddy
Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious
The Old Man and the Lisa
In Marge We Trust
The Secret War of Lisa Simpson
The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson
The Last Temptation of Krust
Lisa the Simpson
Simpson Tide
King of the Hill
Viva Ned Flanders
Wild Barts Can't Be Broken
Homer to the Max
Simpsons Bible Stories
Mom and Pop Art
Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo
E-I-E-I-(ANNOYED GRUNT)
Take My Wife, Sleaze
Faith Off
Days of Wine and D'oh'ses
Insane Clown Poppy
Lisa the Tree Hugger
Jaws Wired Shut
The Old Man and the Key
Blame it on Lisa
Weekend At Burnsies
Treehouse of Horror XIII
Special Edna

B-

Call of the Simpsons
Homer's Night Out
Treehouse of Horror
Bart vs. Thanksgiving
Bart the Daredevil
Bart Gets Hit By A Car
Old Money
Dog of Death
Treehouse of Horror III
So It's Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show
The Last Temptation of Homer
And Maggie Makes Three
The PTA Disbands
'Round Springfield
Radioactive Man
The Twisted World of Marge Simpson
Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment
Grade School Confidential
Bart Star
The Trouble with Trillions
Miracle on Evergreen Terrace
Lost Our Lisa
The Wizard of Evergreen Terrace
Bart the Mother
Treehouse of Horror IX
D'oh-in In the Wind
I'm With Cupid
Monty Can't Buy Me Love
Grift of the Magi
Missionary: Impossible
The Computer Wore Menace Shoes
The Great Money Caper
Skinner's Sense of Snow
Day of the Jackanapes
Children of a Lesser Clod
Simpsons Tall Tales
The Blunder Years
Brawl in the Family
How I Spent My Strummer Vacation

C+

Bart the Genius
There's No Disgrace Like Home
The Tell-Tale Head
War of the Simpsons
Bart Gets an Elephant
Treehouse of Horror VII
The Canine Mutiny
Lisa the Skeptic
Realty Bites
Das Bus
Girly Edition
Beyond Blunderdome
Alone Again, Natura-Diddily
Homer vs. Dignity
Bye Bye Nerdie
She of Little Faith
Gump Roast
The Bart Wants What it Wants
The Great Louse Detectives
The Dad Who Knew Too Little

C

Some Enchanted Evening
Blood Feud
When Flanders Failed
Separate Vocations
Homer vs. Patty & Selma
A Milhouse Divided
The Simpsons Spinoff Showcase
Bart Carny
Dumbbell Indemnity
Trash of the Titans
Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble"
Marge Simpson in: "Screaming Yellow Honkers"
Brother's Little Helper
Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder
Eight Misbehavin'
Last Tap Dance in Springfield
Tennis the Menace
Homer the Moe
A Hunka Hunka Burns in Love
I am Furious (Yellow)
Large Marge

C-

Stark Raving Dad
Bart's Comet
Treehouse of Horror VI
The Joy of Sect
This Little Wiggy
When You Dish Upon a Star
Sunday, Cruddy Sunday
They Saved Lisa's Brain
Treehouse of Horror X
Little Big Mom
Pokey Mom
The Parent Rap
The Lastest Gun in the West
The Frying Game
The Sweetest Apu
Bart Vs. Lisa Vs. the 3rd Grade

D+

Homer's Odyssey
The Crepes of Wrath
Homer Loves Flanders
Another Simpsons Clip Show
Fear of Flying
Make Room for Lisa
Maximum Homerdrive
The Old Man and The "C" Student
Saddlesore Galactica
Bart to the Future
A Tale of Two Springfields
New Kids on the Blecch

D

The Otto Show
The Principal and the Pauper
Lard of the Dance
It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge
I'm Goin' to Praiseland
Helter Shelter

D-

Bart's Dog Gets An F
All Singing, All Dancing
The Mansion Family
Simpson Safari

F

Kill the Alligator and Run

On a side note, I left out "Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington" because I have not seen it for over a year, and have little recollection of the episode. I’d probably score it between an A+ to an A- though.

Edit: Edited slightly since original printing.

Last edited:
OK, your list is reasonably good. Actually your A+ list is mostly the episodes out of my A+ list that I would put into a A++ list if such a marvellous thing existed. You seem to be far more forgiving of the later seasons than me, and you seem to be very inconsistent in your grading (not suggesting rating the episodes is totally formulaic, but you get my drift). Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner is better than Bart Gets An F? Blame It On Lisa is on the same level as Lisa's Pony? If you say so.... BUT I would like a quick explanation of the following which are much lower than I would have put them -

Channel Surfer said:
B-

C

Blood Feud
Separate Vocations
Homer vs. Patty & Selma

C-

Stark Raving Dad

D+

Homer Loves Flanders
[/B]

I'll just say the best episode ever is "Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington" updated Jan. 2003
and the worst is "Kill the Alligator and Run" since April 2000

Mohammed Jafar said:
OK, your list is reasonably good. Actually your A+ list is mostly the episodes out of my A+ list that I would put into a A++ list if such a marvellous thing existed. You seem to be far more forgiving of the later seasons than me, and you seem to be very inconsistent in your grading (not suggesting rating the episodes is totally formulaic, but you get my drift). Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner is better than Bart Gets An F? Blame It On Lisa is on the same level as Lisa's Pony? If you say so.... BUT I would like a quick explanation of the following which are much lower than I would have put them -

Originally posted by Channel Surfer

B-

C

Blood Feud
Separate Vocations
Homer vs. Patty & Selma

C-

Stark Raving Dad

D+

Homer Loves Flanders

Well, "Secrets of a Successful Marriage" is easy. It was misplaced in my copy/paste. It deserves an A- rather then a B-

As for the others...

Blood Feud C - Funny at points with its mix of absurdity (OO blood) and the conflict caused by Homer's one little letter (from his adventure with the mailbox, to Burns reading the letter in his presence). But plenty of dull points, most notably the self-ironic moral, fall flat. And with nothing, IMO, particularly memorable to boot, this episode falls into mediocrity.

Separate Vocations C - I've never been a big fan of role reversals that take themselves seriously, and this one is no exception. It seems kind of odd to me (and Marge) that Lisa would be discouraged so quickly based off one test and a supposed expert. That's a minor nitpick though. The bigger thing is that most of her plot, save the point where the two plots merge, isn't really interesting to me. From the trip to the "bad girls" bathroom to the not so shocking "shove it" scene, the plot is, IMO, more boring then interesting, though the ending is pretty sweet. The Bart plot is better, closer to B/B+ material, but not enough to lift the episode higher.

Homer Vs. Patty and Selma C - The definitive of mediocrity. Homer "selling himself" to Patty and Selma isn't any funnier here as it was in "Homer vs. Dignity". And, just like "Homer vs. Dignity", it takes up a good chunk of the episode. Still, there are isolated funny parts (Homer’s stock in pumpkins, "flavor country"), and the Bart subplot is, again, closer to B/B+ material, but not enough to lift the episode higher.

Stark Raving Dad C- - Michael Jackson humor just isn’t the same to me as it was when this episode first aired, and this episode’s reliance on it is the crippling blow. That’s not to say there aren’t things I still like about it. Homer being acquitted to the Mental Hospital because of Bart’s red hat, and later Bart doing his test poorly is all still funny to me. And the ending is nice, even if the emotional aspect of it is overly sappy for my tastes. Great the first time around, but loses a lot of its magic in repeats. Kind of like how I’m starting to feel for "Behind the Laughter".

Homer Loves Flanders D+ - I have an interesting story about this one. Back a while ago, I had a choice in syndication to watch this episode, or "Pokey Mom". While I had seen both recently, and found them both dull, I chose to watch this episode anyway, but during the commercials, switch to "Pokey Mom". By the end of the half-hour, I was watching Springfield Elementary burn down, and later Jack and Wiggum talking about HBO’s "Oz". The problem with this episode is that I just don’t care about what’s going on. I could care less about Ned’s growing hatred of Homer Simpson, who was, IMO, particularly annoying in this episode, along the lines of "I’m Goin’ to Praiseland" (which is even worse, IMO). A few self-referential jokes, Homer’s love of Ned’s football, Moe reading to the shelter kids, and Rod and Todd’s pixie sticks are the only jokes I remember being particularly funny in this episode. Just a very dull episode, IMO.

It seems kind of odd to me (and Marge) that Lisa would be discouraged so quickly based off one test and a supposed expert.

I've always thought that a fallacy of Lisa was that she had too much faith in the public school system.

Tibor said:

I've always thought that a fallacy of Lisa was that she had too much faith in the public school system.

It seems to vary from episode to episode. In "Separate Vocations", for example, she seems very supportive, saying that no moment of school is a waste of time. But "The Secret War of Lisa Simpson" sees her trying to escape its monotony, because she doesn't feel challenged.

It does vary, but somehow that's the speculative idea I've developed, I think from moments from Separate Vocations, the PTA Disbands, and the Joy of Sect.

Back