Episodes you thought were from/ belonged in a different season

John Smith 1882

My mistake
Until recently, I thought The Twisted World of Marge Simpson (the one where she sold pretzels) was a Scully episode from season 10 or so. There are probably others as well. Any episodes you either thought were from another season, or felt belonged in a different season?

Last edited:
Krusty Gets Busted could have easily been a Season 2 episode. Also Three Men and a Comic Book would fit very well in the Jean and Reiss era

When Flanders Failed looked and felt like it was from season 2, when it was actually from season 3.

I also think the previous episode (Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington) looked like a season 2 episode.

"Lisa's Sax" felt so out of place in season nine, especially when it followed "The Principal and the Pauper" and "The Cartridge Family" was two episodes away. They should have just put it in season seven where it was supposed to be.

Actually, that begs the question: I know Al Jean and Mike Reiss came in to oversee a few episodes because of the workload in season seven, but why were they all held back?

to fill different season slots so the twenty five per season workload was reduced presumably

I can't remember any certain instance this happened to me as I usually know what season an episode is from (at least when it comes to the time before the HD era which is when the lines get a little blurry), but I guess once in a while I occasionally mix up the placement of an episode; holdovers can be easy cases of mistaken seasonal identity at times.

The Wandering Juvie - for some reason, I thought it's from season 16. Analogy, I thought, that The Seven-Beer Snitch is from season 17:).

"Lisa's Sax" felt so out of place in season nine, especially when it followed "The Principal and the Pauper" and "The Cartridge Family" was two episodes away. They should have just put it in season seven where it was supposed to be.

Actually, that begs the question: I know Al Jean and Mike Reiss came in to oversee a few episodes because of the workload in season seven, but why were they all held back?

Right, It even had Doris Grau in it, who died almost two years before it aired. Maybe they held it back to pad out season 9 because they knew there would be a new showrunner?

" And Maggie makes three " should have been a season 3 or 4 episode in my opinion. These two seasons have SO many emotions, just like this episode!

" And Maggie makes three " should have been a season 3 or 4 episode in my opinion. These two seasons have SO many emotions, just like this episode!

Yes it did have an emotional story and the do it for her scene but moments like the story being told as if Homer's head exploded and Homer shooting up the alley with Marge saying it really happened are very Mirkinesque

I happened to catch "Moe'N'a Lisa" again yesterday and was reminded by the on-screen guide that it's from the 18th season. For some reason, I thought I remembered it coming years later, some time in the early 20s. Not quite as extreme an example since both are in the Al Jean solo era, but off the top of my head I would've said it was an HD era episode (and obviously, I'd have been wrong).

I always think HOMR is a season 13 episode instead of season 12. In my head it's an early Al Jean episode rather than a late Scully one, which I guess makes sense since Al Jean wrote it.

HOMR has a few Scully-like moments, but overall, it does feel more like a Jean episode than most Scully episodes. Emotion wasn’t exactly Scully’s forte, and this definitely had it. I love this episode.

HOMR has a few Scully-like moments, but overall, it does feel more like a Jean episode than most Scully episodes. Emotion wasn’t exactly Scully’s forte, and this definitely had it. I love this episode.

I would say that Scully has another emotional episode: The Blunder Years. The scene where we see Waylon Smithers, Sr. die and Mr. Burns decides to take care of Smithers was legitimately emotional.

There is Alone Again, Natura-Diddly, but that episode was more terrible than it was emotional.

I feel Bart vs Australia as an Oakley and Weinstein episode. And The Homer They Fall feels as a season 9 episode instead a season 8 one.

Back