Episodes/moments that scared or disturbed you?

What are some things from The Simpsons that have traumatized you?

Mob mentality is my biggest phobia, so The Simpsons Movie and Boys of Bummer really messed me up. It's really uncomfortable seeing iconic cartoon characters getting death threats and being hunted down by an entire city. There's also this one specific bit from an episode (can't remember which one) where a Jumbotron shows Homer hanging from a noose with X eyes while the funeral march is playing, and the crowd laughs at it. No clue why but that scene really got to me and still sticks with me to this day.

What are some things from The Simpsons that have traumatized you?

Mob mentality is my biggest phobia, so The Simpsons Movie and Boys of Bummer really messed me up. It's really uncomfortable seeing iconic cartoon characters getting death threats and being hunted down by an entire city. There's also this one specific bit from an episode (can't remember which one) where a Jumbotron shows Homer hanging from a noose with X eyes while the funeral march is playing, and the crowd laughs at it. No clue why but that scene really got to me and still sticks with me to this day.
Homer’s melting face from Season 4’s “Brother from the Same Planet”; it’s easily one of the creepiest (and non-Treehouse of Horror) moments the show has ever made.

Every episode dealing with broken parts, body casts, amnesia, paralyzing can be disturbing. I'm also a tad afraid of fire and death ones. 18.18 Bart's paria episode was really strange, i only liked the b plot.

Some episode dealing with deaths, plots at the retirement castle or at a daycare, some dealing with kidnapping are also difficult.

Last edited:
I have a vivid memory of buying The Simpsons: A Complete Guide to Our Favourite Family episode guide book that covered seasons 1 to 8 and for Treehouse of Horror VI it had a picture of Groundskeeper Willie's melted skeleton in close up. That definitely freaked me out for a good long while and I had trouble watching that scene for ages after.

From Season 3 Episode 18 When After taking tests for predisposition to a particular profession, Lisa finds that her most suitable profession is that of a housekeeper, while Bart's future was that of a police officer. The episode was when Bandit Snake tried to run Bart over with his car, Bart screamed, and the episode broke off, so I was so scared for Bart that he was going to get run over.

For me were also creepy episodes of Little House of Horrors, when Willie frightened the children in their sleep, and when the teachers wanted to eat the children, and when Homer wanted to eat himself.

Season 30,Episode 20 the moment in the episode when Lou the cop ran away, three bandits wanted to beat him up, but Lou had a toy gun, and he will offer the bandits tickets, but this moment breaks off, and was not shown anymore, whether he got out of that situation, or the bandits beat him up, Lou I really like him so, in this situation, I was kind of scared for him!

Every episode dealing with broken parts, body casts, amnesia, paralyzing can be disturbing. I'm also a tad afraid of fire and death ones. 18.18 Bart's paria episode was really strange, i only liked the b plot.

Some episode dealing with deaths, plots at the retirement castle or at a daycare, some dealing with kidnapping are also difficult.
First thing that comes to mind is the one where Lisa babysits her siblings and Bart breaks his arm

Yup, this one was not really cool, although it was not the worse. Some like 11.10 Marge leaves Lisa and heals her leg episode, the end of 18.03 Bart's allergy to peanuts and Skinner's to shrimps, or even some possession by ghouls and ghosts in some treehouse were just eerk.

The only episode where i was ok with "there is an injured with an arm" (can't remember if it's broken or not) was the season 20 's finale.
Also, i'm not comfortable with all sick , or coma episode (and i'm glad they never made a one in which someone has a delirious fever and hallucinates). The exception being 32.03 Museum episode (save for Maggie's plot).

I'm also a tad disturbed by 13.16 Marijuana episode, surprising for a show which depicts a teenage audience (but this could have worked in Family Guy).

Last edited:
I weirdly have none of these moments, I remember seeing a treehouse of horror opening where Homer falls into a vat of acid. it was right before my bedtime, but I still remembered it being scary.

EDIT- Forgot to state I was like 4 or 5 lol

Last edited:
Interestingly, I just rewatched The Great Wife Hope and wasn't fazed. Even though it has semi-similar themes of a crowd cheering for a character to die, I found it funny and not disturbing at all.

Honestly the Marge and Flanders scene from The Devil Wears Nada was pretty awkward for me.
I know they were supposed to find each other hot, but I felt like the episode was trying to make ME to find them hot (if you're asking, it failed).

Speaking about season 21, i was not fan of 21.16 Israel episode, especially the scene with Bart wishing an another stroke for Homer.

Disturbing: Sideshow Bob wearing Bart's intestines and putting a golf ball into the mouth of his rotting corpse.

Legitimately frightening: Treehouse of Horror V, when Willie is burned alive and starts threatening to murder the apathetic parents' children out of revenge. In the same episode, the moment where Bart and Lisa think they've finished Willie off... and then he rises up behind them in the background.

For non-Treehouse of Horror episodes, lately the one that's got me is Homer's Triple Bypass. I'm now approaching Homer's age and being a more overweight man, it scares me. My mom's side does have a history of some heart problems as well so that makes it even more anxiety inducing, even though I do like it as an episode.
Another one I was scared of (can't remember the episode) but when Grandpa's Kidney's blew out. I saw that when I was younger and I remember worrying that if I held it in too long, my kidney's would explode. It didn't help that later, my dad got cancer that started in his kidneys and while I was in early high school by then, I still was scared something would go wrong with my kidneys or other internal organs.

For Treehouse episodes, I wasn't ever necessarily scared, but I did find the one where the teachers eat the kids kind of disturbing. Especially when Skinner says "Perhaps I'll start as you often suggest, by eating your shorts." It felt creepy and in that moment it felt like they turned Skinner into a child abuser. Plus Bart and Lisa more than likely falling to their death really scared me.

Last edited:
Has anyone mentioned the Treehouse of Horror where Homer starts decapitating his own limbs and eating himself? Probably the only time the show has actually disturbed me.

Another one I was scared of (can't remember the episode) but when Grandpa's Kidney's blew out. I saw that when I was younger and I remember worrying that if I held it in too long, my kidney's would explode. It didn't help that later, my dad got cancer that started in his kidneys and while I was in early high school by then, I still was scared something would go wrong with my kidneys or other internal organs.
“Homer Simpson in: ‘Kidney Trouble’” from Season 10.

I would say there were moments that traumatized me, but I'm sure there were moments that did scare me as a kid from The Simpsons, most of it probably from Treehouse of Horror.

Honestly, the scariest Television related scene to me from my childhood would be from Ben 10 (2005), not even Rugrats scared me (even thou, that one Chuckie episode was dark even to me as a kid)

That one just stinks.
A lot of people thought it went past scary into being too gross to be appealing, but I honestly liked how much it made me cringe.

I think at least one of the Thanksgiving of Horror shorts also affected me but I dont remember which since I only saw that episode once

When you get to hell, tell them itchy sent you! *kick*

“Homer Simpson in: ‘Kidney Trouble’” from Season 10.
Thanks. I couldn't remember the episode name. I just remember it was one I watched as a new episode that season, and later I was on a long car ride with my family and we had to drive from Central Illinois to Cedar Rapids Iowa, and I remember that my parents didn't want to stop, but I told them I was worried my kidneys would explode. My mom then said that probably wouldn't happen. I do remember though being relieved once we stopped at our motel.

The waterlogged, decaying, maggot-ridden corpse that washes out onto young Homer in 'The Blunder Years' took me aback a little on the very first viewing. It's rare that the show has been that realistically, non-cartoonishly over the top graphic in a canon episode.

Also, that bit in 'Clown In The Dumps' when Homer was having sleep apnea and struggled to breathe in his sleep while Marge fiddles around with the oxygen mask in a panic (and it's all played for apparently hilarious comedy). That sure was unsettling & disturbing.

Last edited:
In one episode, (19.16 Lurleen is back episode, i think) there is a scene where Homer dreams he kills Abe.

Very very strange. The movie had it as well with the capture scene.

The more I think about it, I think the opening scene when Bart is waiting for Homer in "Brother from the Same Planet" probably scared me, or at least was surprisingly dark to me as a kid

The family’s open contempt for Bart’s life is either played for laughs or being his fault.

Homer’s actions in "The Wreck of the Relationship" Bart and Homer go on a father-son retreat and like usual whenever bart is given positive attention he becomes much better behaved. Homer however hates it and out of jealousy of his son nearly gets everyone on the boat killed until bart does what he wants. Not only is this in itself disturbing but the episode treats homer like he’s in the right, bart doesn’t respect Homer's authority as his father so why should he respect his role as acting captain. Bart earned his role while homer who treats his son like shit. This is basically an a victim finally telling their abuser they’ve had enough and the abuser then threatening to kill them, themselves, and everyone around them and the show going yeah they have a point.

In the season 29 finale "Flander's Ladder" and the season 30 premier "Barts Not Dead" Homer callously put Bart’s life in danger the first by forcing him to climb a ladder in a lightning storm and the latter by telling him to take dares no matter what in both cases his only response was to make sure his culpability wasn’t found out and in the second he exploited it for money.

In The Man Who Grew Too Much Lisa works with Sideshow Bob her excuse being that only Bart’s life would be in danger and while she did get bart to promise to not hurt Bart she laughed in her brothers face that he thought she did it for him and this is after he’d come to rescue her.

In Jazzy And The Pussycats Marge’s response to Lisa crippling Bart was to not blame him because it wouldn’t of happened if he wasn’t better then her but call him a sociopath because he didn’t fell sorry for lisa because she had to suffer consequence for this. Keep in mind bart isn’t even shown to be angry at lisa what she did to him. and marge does this a lot when think about it when burn struck with his car and showed no remorse, homer’s constant abuse, he convinced her to give up on bart when he was six, nelsons bullying.

In Beware My Cheating Bart Shauna physically molested bart she’s 15 he’s 10. However, the episode treats her as the victim with Bart getting punished for everything. She does it again in What To Expect When Barts Expecting. In "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" Lisa goes to her for relationship advice.

What I truly find disturbing is Girls Just Shauna Have Fun Marge and Homer don’t notice this girl molesting their son but they do notice her being a bad influence on Lisa and it is her hurting lisa’s feeling not her sexual assault that causes her to start to change her ways.

Speaking of season 23, a lot of bad things happened to Homer and many were more FG ish . The fact that Marge sends him in the wrong place in 23.05 Blog food episode counts also.

I’m a broken record on this but I’d have to say Sideshow Bob’s face falling off repeatedly in The Bob Next Door was pretty damn scary/disturbing. I can’t think of anything more gruesome and that realistically rendered ever in the show otherwise, including in Treehouses of Horror.

Last edited:
Back