Does it bother anyone else that Krusty is portrayed as an actual comedian?

Rembrandt Q. Einstein_1

Don't you know I am serious!!
It always bugs me. Such as when he talks about his contemporaries like Don Rickles, or him doing roasts, I always think "Wait a minute. You're a children's entertainer, not a comedian, and you're always in clown make-up. This doesn't make sense". And his comeback special. What kind of kids show presenter has a comeback special anyway, and why would he have The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Hugh Hefner, Bette Midler, etc as guest stars? It just seems like lazy writing to me.

Anyone else noticed that?

It's part of the show's flexible reality.

Krusty is a target for showbiz jokes, so he can be whatever the story demands. His prime occupation is being a children's entertainer, but that doesn't prevent him from doing other things.

I think it's cool that Krusty can be portrayed as a troubled children's entertainer and as a struggling entertainment personality, who seems to take on all those kinds of stories in the Simpsons scripts. He's an anchor for commentary on children's television (Itchy & Scratchy & Marge, the Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show) and on the industry at large. The one thing that bothers me about Krusty is how much they play up his drug addiction; I've never found that stuff especially funny.

we could assume perhaps that, based on some of the footage we've seen from his old shows, he probably at some point tried to have a talk show or something like that but eventually went back to a children's show format, since he deosnt really care about quality and is obviously doing it for the money.

but leaving my theory aside, although it doesnt really bother i do understand you point completely

It always bugs me. Such as when he talks about his contemporaries like Don Rickles, or him doing roasts, I always think "Wait a minute. You're a children's entertainer, not a comedian, and you're always in clown make-up. This doesn't make sense". And his comeback special. What kind of kids show presenter has a comeback special anyway, and why would he have The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Hugh Hefner, Bette Midler, etc as guest stars? It just seems like lazy writing to me.

The guy started out as a comedian, back when he wasn't a sellout, before he was a children's entertainer, in fact the Krusty the Clown Show was more of a comedy show at the beginning for everyone to laugh at before it became more of a children's show.

How they wrote him originally was as a kids show Clown, and then they began writing layers to his history, just like they did all of the other characters. This to me represented what the Classic era (seasons 3-6ish) did the best. and is why this show is so enjoyable

Yes it bothers me a bit. Especially his drug addiction and that he's a jerk later on, although he is a good source for shots.taken at celebrity.

He's a celebrity. He does a lot of things. Who says child entertainers can't be comedians, or talk show hosts, or masters of ceremonies at events?

:facesmack: For christ sakes, you're watching a show about yellow people!

That reminds me of another preposterous YouTube comment - a claim that he hates The Simpsons because "theres no story and everyone has spiky heads"

Yes, you can see the level of intelligence on that website.

I love Al Jean on the "Krusty Gets Cancelled" commentary.

"Another thing, WHAT KIND OF SHOW DOES KRUSTY HAVE?! He interviews people like Robert Frost and George Meany..!"

It never bothered me at all, if I'm honest. I always saw him portrayed as a general celeb who became way too famous for the actual effort involved in his work - I assumed he'd been a children's entertainer for a while, so some younger adults would remember him from when they were kids, or when they were stoned teens or whatever watching his show. There have been a few entertainers, not that any spring to mind right now, who started off working with kids and maintained a niche or "ironic" audience - certainly there are TV shows adults still love and would go to see the people who worked on them. People generally continue to adore and want to see appearances made by entertainers and actors who haven't even worked since they were kids, so it's completely plausible that all his adult fans are mindless nostalgics. Not to mention, Krusty is so big that he has his own franchise and a trademark fast food company. It's pretty much a given that he's well known. As for him being a comedian, I thought the point was that he's not particularly funny and adults realise this, yet he considers those people his contemporaries. I don't know if maybe I read too far inbetween the lines as a kid, but it all made perfect sense to me that he's an eccentric local celebrity who thinks of himself as a comedian, and the natural choice to do everything on TV.

in the classic episodes, he's a kids clown, but now he seems to be a George Carlin type comedian. And Bart seems to love him even more in the newer episodes!

What disturbs me is that Bart found Krusty's racist stand-up comedy funny (The Last Temptation of Krust) and so did Lisa!?

Not at all. This is the same Krusty who licenses on merchandise and a fast food restaurant so it's not really a stretch to portray him as an actual comedian.

Paul Reubens' Pee Wee character has been in shows that entertain children and adult. As for his HBO stuff, it's for adults, but a lot of his stuff is universal. Jerry Lewis is both entertainer and philanthropist. Bob Saget got his name in an inoffensive, family-oriented sitcom and revealed his raunchier side much later. Even George Carlin, the man we've compared Krusty to a lot, did a lot of children's entertainment, including Shining Time Station, Disney's Tarzan 2 and Cars.

Sure, if you stack all of Krusty's backstories, personalities and careers all up (like as a "serious" talk show host, a street mime, a straight-up comedian, the owner and posterclown of a fast food magnate, grizzled amateur, children's entertainer, opera singer, father of various illegitimate children, overconfident expert, prima donna, hack), it's more than what most regular joes do; Krusty's a man of many hats so that the writers can riff on Hollywood (or sex and drug addiction, in Krusty's case) in whatever way is convenient for the script.

Back