Disney's Big Hero 6

How would you rate Big Hero 6?

• Total voters

Robotics

魔女旅人
I don't see a thread on Big Hero 6 yet, but it premieres November 7th in North America so there ought to be a thread about it. Probably my most anticipated animated film of this year as it is Walt Disney Animation Studios' first movie from Marvel property (even know it's a lot more different than the original)
Trailer 1:
Trailer 2:
The team:
I think it looks promising so far. Very dynamic and diverse cast of characters. I've also heard there will be an ending credits scene worth staying for.

Additional:
-Disney's short film "Feast" will be played before BH6. It will feature similar animation style to what was seen in "Paperman".

EDIT: Poll will be added on release.

Surprised no one has shown any interest in this yet. I've seen the trailers for it and think it look pretty fun. There are scenes that seem very typical for animated movies lately (meet all these quirky characters and toys on this laboratory tour!) but it looks like it's got a lot of style and character. Might try to tag along when my nephew inevitably wants to see this.

I was kind of underwhelmed when they announced this one because of the Marvel comic it's based on (which doesn't exactly look like prime material for a Disney animated film), but the trailers have rekindled my interest in this thing. I recently got my hands on a copy of the extended trailer they're showing at Disneyland (which is essentially the trailers posted here but with longer clips, plus the entire scene where Baymax is introduced), and it looks promising. To be honest, I'm not expecting a masterpiece with this one, but it looks like it will be fun. Looking forward to watching it someday, probably long after the initial release.

It looks good, but I'm not too excited for it because it might be the Frozen of this year and the hype for that movie kept me from enjoying it.

I'n very much looking forward to seeing this. Already bought my tickets for Thursday night. (It's in 3D but I heard it's good 3D)

The reviews so far are terrific so I'm excited

Surprised no one has shown any interest in this yet.

No one? I did see a bunch of interested people in the general Disney animation thread (but not in this thread, however).

Anyway, I had only seen the teaser trailer and never saw the full trailers until now; I held off doing so because I'm not so incredibly hyped over this film (having a bit of superhero fatigue after the first half of the year, I guess), but seeing them here definitely ignites some interest as it does look like a fun flick with a colorful main cast & nice animation. One of the biggest strengths of this is that like Guardians Of The Galaxy (great film, btw) this film is based on an rather obscure team of Marvel superheroes which makes it feel new, fresh and in a way original.

It will most certainly be interesting to see the full thing because of the abeformentioned reasons and the fact that it's Disney's first animated Marvel Comics adaption (not having huge expectations might also help as well). I'm looking forward to it.

just saw it.

it's a really enjoyable, engaging movie that has a strong emotional core but unfortunately has some drawbacks that will probably leave it having less of an impact than frozen or wreck-it ralph did. for one, it's tethered to the comic book and the name which enforces the uses of tadashi/hiro's four friends. the film tries very hard to successfully incorporate them into hiro's emotional arc but it's just too many characters. wisely the directors give the friends all likable characteristics but doesn't attempt to flesh them out very much. here's where the disconnect lies: in order to make this a good MOVIE they just make this about hiro accepting loss and forgoing revenge, that's nice... but at the very end we suddenly realize there was a whole other movie underneath here about a superhero team that makes things feel a bit more hallow. it's your standard superhero origin story (in fact, TJ Miller's comic relief character is a excitable CBG-esque character who gives things a strange meta edge), but most other marvel movies have sequels to them.

big hero 6 without the sequel is just an enjoyable, nice movie with an adorable robot character who will sell toys. which is less of the impact than wreck-it ralph and frozen had just in a single film. if they DO make a sequel to BH6 then there's a buttload of potential, but this is WDAS who has an extremely full plate and is unlikely to rush one out there unless this does frozen numbers. (or unless john lasseter has a boner for it, that'll get you a sequel for anything) even pixar's own "the incredibles" felt a bit more fleshed out and realized because it was totally about the family unit and focused strongly on all the characters. big hero 6... well just isn't interested in that.

I liked it and definitely think if you see it, you'll have a good time. baymax is hilarious and the post-credits sequence is even better than guardians' one was. but unlike other marvel movies, there's not much more after to look forward to and it's going to leave you with a bit more of an empty feeling than you'd think.

av club-esque stray observations:
  • feast is a really cute short but disney needs to stop making these about an impartial character/device bringing a couple together. it was kind of like "paperman with a dog"
  • thanks to the toy story 4 news, I was really grumpy during the inside out trailer although I think it'll still be amazing and wow people even if my audience had an amusing "what the hell" reaction to it.
  • the 3D was good, but nothing too special. it was the only BH6 thursday screening, but I don't regret the surcharge.
  • henry jackman's score makes this film really feel like a follow-up to wreck-it ralph and is probably up there with the strongest parts of the movie. I don't think I'll purchase BH6 when it hits dvd/br but I am definitely nabbing that score.
  • similar to wreck-it ralph, the movie has a few pop songs in this. I think it's a bad trend that animated movies need to stop doing forever, especially disney and pixar ones.
  • go see it. I still thought this was good and am giving it a 4/5 and overall this was a surprisingly strong year for animation. whereas next year there will probably be inside out and good dinosaur... and that's it. the rest looks like trash. (ok that minions one may be cute)
  • spongebob looked kinda cool in 3D in the traditionally animated portions

Thanks for the write-up. I'll go see this with my family during Thanksgiving week--looks to be a very fun movie for everyone involved. As a big, big fan of both The Incredibles and Wreck-It Ralph, I'm definitely getting a similar vibe here and am looking forward to it. Although I don't expect it to hit quite as hard as those.

Domestic weekend box office is now up:
Big Hero 6-- $56.2M (3 Days)
Notes:
Big Hero 6's numbers are higher than the opening for Wreck-it Ralph ($49M)

I just came home from seeing this movie, and they had a full-house for UltraAVX and 3D. I walked in with pretty high expectations and the shortest way to describe my feelings is that I was very satisfied with it. To add on, I'd go as far as to place this film above Wreck-it Ralph, And make sure you stay after the credits, people!

Details:
+With a length adjustments in certain scenes, I think the emotions in the movie would have more resonance, but it was definitely a heartfelt story for me.
+It's an eye candy with broadening cinematic feel.
+Baymax is a big star. He's both very merchandisable as well as a very crucial character. Every scene he appears in intrigues/entertains the audience, while other times he really makes emotional scenes.
+Coherent story to tell whatever is necessary and the morals to the audience.
+Lots of comic relief from Wasabi and Fred.
+The audience seemed to like Gogo's personality, and it was agreeably awesome.
+Villain's plan was ridiculously extravagant for its purpose, but that's where the fun comes along.

-"Feast" started out very cute, but it feels like a derivative of Paperman
-Some more scenes to flesh out the other members of the team would be great, even though this story specifically centers on Baymax and Hiro.
-The ending scene before credits looked a bit out of place, though it's not really distracting.

Well, that's all for me to say. Definitely a strong animated movie for this year; on par with the emotional qualities of HTTYD2, but is funner to watch IMO.

Oh yeah, did anybody pay attention to the reactions of Pixar's Inside Out teaser? I noticed that Pixar's teaser didn't get much of an audience reaction; the throwbacks got more reactions than the actual sneak preview, and it's kinda disheartening to see that.

Ok I looked up the after-credits thing and it sounds really stupid

I'm really sick of that guy

My parents saw this with my nephew this weekend and both of them were pretty gushy about it. And considering both of them have taken kids and grandkids to animated films for so many years, that's a pretty impressive feat. Nephew loved it too. Maybe I'll convince one of my friends to see it this weekend.

Oh yeah, did anybody pay attention to the reactions of Pixar's Inside Out teaser? I noticed that Pixar's teaser didn't get much of an audience reaction; the throwbacks got more reactions than the actual sneak preview, and it's kinda disheartening to see that.

Eh, it's not that surprising... The concept is a little abstract and would probably play better as a fleshed-out trailer than a little teaser snippet. To be honest, I didn't really think they did a good job selling the new movie so far. Hopefully they'll do a better job with the trailer.

Eh, it's not that surprising... The concept is a little abstract and would probably play better as a fleshed-out trailer than a little teaser snippet. To be honest, I didn't really think they did a good job selling the new movie so far. Hopefully they'll do a better job with the trailer.
Yeah. It's making the audience more reminiscent of older Pixar films as opposed to, well, their new film. Kind of the opposite of what a teaser should really do.

Ok I looked up the after-credits thing and it sounds really stupid

I'm really sick of that guy

despite what you may think, the bit is actually well-done

yeah the audience was just kind of like "what the hell?!"

I think an actual trailer will do a much better job of selling it, as anybody who has seen actual footage of it can not stop raving about it.

I just saw it and LOVED IT, but I kind of wish it was made in 2D Japanimation instead of the gimmicky computer animation.

Kind of reminds me of Teen Titans on Cartoon Network (Go Go and Honey Lemon remind me of Raven and Starfire) and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

Fred...Shaggy from Scooby-Doo with Daphne's $ (and I caught the portrait of his father: I won't give it away, but stick around after the credits!)

That rich guy looks like a young Vince Mc Mahon...the villain looks like Triple H (well, his nose looks like Triple H's!)

Wish there was a REAL Baymax: my right ear's giving me problems; my doctor says it'll take time for it to get well because there's fluid lodged in back of it, but until then, I hafta take antibiotics for it.....GRRRR!

It looks good, but I'm not too excited for it because it might be the Frozen of this year and the hype for that movie kept me from enjoying it.
How exactly did the hype for Frozen keep you from enjoying it?
If you enjoy something, you enjoy something. Whether other people like it or not shouldn't really enter into that equation.

How exactly did the hype for Frozen keep you from enjoying it?
If you enjoy something, you enjoy something. Whether other people like it or not shouldn't really enter into that equation.

Well, I might piss some people off by saying this, but here it goes. When I heard nothing about praise over Frozen I was expecting something good, but all I got was a generic princess movie with annoying songs, cookie-cutter characters and most of the movie's "humor" is just people falling down or getting hurt. The only thing about the movie I actually liked was the song Let it Go, but even that song is overrated. What I meant by the hype kept me from enjoying it was that if it wasn't so overhyped, then I probably wouldn't have hated it as much.

Really good movie i liked it, the mini cartoon before the movie was good, the movie overall was great, Disney doesn't do a lot of male central roles so that's why i liked it. 5/5

Fred from 'Big Hero 6' said:
*hugging Baymax*

"It's like spooning a warm marshmallow..."

:eek:

---

4/5. A bit rough in the edges, but really enjoyable film overall. I'm slightly iffy that the movie focuses a lot on Hiro and Baymax while the rest of the cast don't have much of an arc, but I guess that's mostly a marketing problem than a flaw with the film itself. I love the style that they went with for this movie, the action and animation's all great, the jokes they pull all work, and I almost cried at two points during he movie. Aside from some issues I have with the pacing and plot arrangement, I think this could be a Best Animated Feature contender for the Oscars.

Also, I wouldn't be too surprised if some fan splices the music from How to Train Your Dragon with this movie's flying scenes. They're almost just as good.

Wouldn't it be kind of cool if Stan Lee actually gets a supporting character role in the next film? Or is that just too indulgent? 

Wouldn't it be kind of cool if Stan Lee actually gets a supporting character role in the next film? Or is that just too indulgent? 

I wouldn't hold your breath for a sequel anytime soon, if ever. WDAS still has a full plate, including a rumored Wreck-It Ralph sequel in development AND that Frozen sequel that Iger keeps threatening to make.

So I finally just saw this tonight, and I was highly impressed. The characters, visual style, and themes are all much fresher than your usual Disney flick. Aside from the you-know-what detail in the beginning, I didn't feel like this movie fell back on too many Disney clichés and instead just told a down to earth and cautious coming-of-age tale. It feels closer to a Pixar film than anything else produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios; in fact, I prefer it over The Incredibles.

It's just such a shame that this movie is likely to be overlooked in the Disney catalogue, due to Frozenmania's continuation well past this film's release date. I still see Frozen merchandise in every store I visit, but I have yet to come across anything related to Big Hero 6. Frankly, Big Hero 6 is far superior and original than Frozen, which really just bridges the stories of The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast together with a few progressive winks to please fans. Big Hero 6 doesn't feel nearly as constrained by expectation, but that's sadly why it's not being promoted as much, even though it could clearly sell plenty of toys.

So I just saw this last night and honestly it was a very dissapointing. This movie had good ideas, plot points and characters but nothing was fleshed out, the entire movie felt like it was just glossing over every aspect without letting it really sink in. After the fire we don't really see anyone really care about what happened which makes me care less, it's like the opening to pacific rim. And the villain had a cool motive and the plot twist was nice but it just kinda happens, we know the motive for the villin but he's so hollow most of the time I can't feel for him which is too bad because he's pretty intimidating at the very end fight scene for like a minute, to me in superhero movies the villins motives are like the most important thing and here it's just sorta there with no real resonance. This felt more like an average kids movie then an action or superhero movie which I think really brought it down. Bymax was cute and that end scene in the portal thing was by far the most effective use of emotion, I wish the rest could have been up to par with that. Overall the movie is ok, it's better then frozen i can say that. 7/10

Insomnia pretty much summed up my reaction to this film.. I'm glad I waited till it was moved down to our local Discount theater, which is good catching movies at a $1 buck you didnt want to pay $14 for.. but still get to see it on a Big screen instead of a TV.

Unlike American and European cartoons, I've noticed that the Japanese have a fascination with numerals, as so many of their classic anime's have a number worked into the title. especially if the main character is mechanical in nature. Just a guess, but I think it makes the shows name more exciting for them if it suggest the main character featured has a "History".. being the 33rd or 6th of something. One old anime who's name i can't recall was a team of super heros had a number worked into the shows name because they were the 3rd team assembled, after 2 previous teams failed, so i read. Team #3!! ..brings to mind "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

So I did think it apt for this Disney cartoon that was set in a Tokyo/San Francisco, with an Asian American as the lead to give the title of this CGI work a "7" in its name.. being true to other old Animes in that the title even tells you that "this is the 7th version of a production model". (Santa Clause = Annual Gift giving man)

I don't think I can recall any western cartoons that do this number thing..? Back in the day even animees brought over to U.S. markets had the "number" in the original name dropped, and renamed something else, (Ex: Tetsujin 28 anyone?) >(Lupin III and "One" peice don't count). I can't think of any western culture cartoons that ever did this "number in the title" thing.. up intill "Ben 10" of course.

Last edited:
yeah I felt like I wanted to be fair to it upon first seeing it but man did very little of it stick with me. say what you will about frozen, but I can definitely see why that movie left a bigger impact than this one ever will.

Congratulations to the entire Big Hero 6 team for the Oscar victory.

That's Walt Disney Animation Studios' 2nd consecutive year!

Back