Did Simpsons staff members went over to Futurama back when it started in 99?

Monty_Burns

Pin Pal
People keep blaming Mike Scully for ruining the show, but a huge factor could've been that he lost some members to work with, I dont know that of course thats why I'm asking, but was that one of the reasons? also you could say that Groening wasnt around anymore since his attention was on his new show, but I think it's been discussed here that he hasn't been very involved in the show since around season 4 maybe.

nothing to do with groening, but the bits and pieces DXC took from the writers room certainly changed things. (not to mention the departure of cohen himself)

Core contingents of Simpsons writers got poached from a bunch of sources.
Whether it was Futurama, King of the Hill, the MacFarlane shows or live-action series like The Office and Parks and Recreation.
And a number of the directors went off to work on feature films for Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks and the like.

Let's face it... while we all herald the staff from the classic era, a good number of them would have wound up regressing had they stuck around like the majority of the current writing team has. I can't fault them for branching out to try new things and a big part of the reason I'd like to see a number of them come back is because they've been away from the show for so long that I think they could bring some fresh perspective.

Complacency is what has hindered the show's quality level in all aspects of production.
Not an absence of talent. The current crew IS talented - they just aren't compelled to tap into it most of the time.

People keep blaming Mike Scully for ruining the show, but a huge factor could've been that he lost some members to work with, I dont know that of course thats why I'm asking, but was that one of the reasons? also you could say that Groening wasnt around anymore since his attention was on his new show, but I think it's been discussed here that he hasn't been very involved in the show since around season 4 maybe.

Not many writers shifted to Futurama, back when it began.

David Cohen was already developing it alongside Matt, while still writing for The Simpsons.
Ken Keeler had already left the show at the end of Oakley and Weinstein's tenure.
Gammill and Pross only worked on Futurama for 3 months, during that first season, at best, while still rewriting Simpsons episodes.

Core contingents of Simpsons writers got poached from a bunch of sources.
Whether it was Futurama, King of the Hill, the MacFarlane shows or live-action series like The Office and Parks and Recreation.
And a number of the directors went off to work on feature films for Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks and the like.

Let's face it... while we all herald the staff from the classic era, a good number of them would have wound up regressing had they stuck around like the majority of the current writing team has. I can't fault them for branching out to try new things and a big part of the reason I'd like to see a number of them come back is because they've been away from the show for so long that I think they could bring some fresh perspective.

Complacency is what has hindered the show's quality level in all aspects of production.
Not an absence of talent. The current crew IS talented - they just aren't compelled to tap into it most of the time.

This is true. I do still think the X-factor quality that made the Simpsons awesome transferred to Futurama. Not saying they're the same shows, but I feel as though Futurama had its quality of writing and heart at the beginning and never really lost it. And the Simpsons began to fall off for me when Futurama started.

This is true. I do still think the X-factor quality that made the Simpsons awesome transferred to Futurama. Not saying they're the same shows, but I feel as though Futurama had its quality of writing and heart at the beginning and never really lost it. And the Simpsons began to fall off for me when Futurama started.

that's why I'm asking, it cant be a coincidence that Futurama started its production around the same time the Simpsons started producing episodes like "Viva Ned Flanders" or "Monty Can't Buy Me Love"

You could say the same thing happened to FG, because besides the fact that the show ha been cancelled for around 2 years, when it came back it was being produced at the same time as American Dad, and we all saw the results

that's why I'm asking, it cant be a coincidence that Futurama started its production around the same time the Simpsons started producing episodes like "Viva Ned Flanders" or "Monty Can't Buy Me Love"

You could say the same thing happened to FG, because besides the fact that the show ha been cancelled for around 2 years, when it came back it was being produced at the same time as American Dad, and we all saw the results

I don't know what you're getting at. What else could it be besides a coincidence? Losing one or two writers isn't going to drastically change any show's quality. At the end, quality is a byproduct of three entities: the showrunner, the network, and the audience's expectations.

There's no master plan to drop the quality of the episodes. You're chasing ghosts, at best. You're looking for an answer that simply doesn't exist.

And you're using subjective taste to justify an already flawed line of questioning. I, for one, really liked Viva Ned Flanders. One of my favorite season 10 episodes, for that matter.

Last edited:
this is slightly better than "Conan leaving ruined the show" on the list of excuses for what was, in retrospect, an inevitable (though badly managed) decline.

Back