Debating the new episodes!!!

Anything Slim

Hey, this is my first thread so I thought I'd start with something that's been bothering me for a while.
Why have people become so critical about certain aspects of the newer seasons, namely these things:
1) Seemingly incohesive plot lines
2) Odd humour/satire
3) Characters "not being themselves"

I have watched the Simpsons since it's inception and must say that I believe it is better than ever. You may disagree but hear me out and let me explain my reasoning.

1)The simpsons grew with me. As a 10 year old, watching the simpsons, the plots were ordinary, almost unintelligent, and based largely on Bart's catch phrases and Homer's stupidity. As I grew, the show grew as well, evolving both in intelligence and in ability to comment on societal disfunction. Lately, people have said that the Simpsons does not do this anymore, that it has lost it's ability to comment on reality. Wrong. It's comments are simply more advanced. Incohesive plot lines are simply advanced art. Allowing the viewer's mind to be boggled by seemingly unrelated things ie. Killer dolphins, The Island, the surfing simpsons. etc. What could be funnier to a cynical 20 Yr. old than a dose of the unexpected? Would we all be satisfied if the show stopped it's evolution in favor of comfort? Would we still watch to see the same episode every time?

The show must change and it's characters incite the change. The characters have never "been themselves" but have instead been in a state of constant flux. The simple fact that the characters have never aged allows for them to be whatever they want, whatever is funny at the time.

Personally, I find oddities and unnusual humour to be hilarious. I find it so because I think that the simpsons has taught me to. I doubt I'm the only person to say I am a product of the simpsons and I am glad to say that as the show gets more and more odd, I will as well.

Think twice before you get angry at an episode for being wierd instead of old. Evolution is what keeps you watching!!!!!!!!!!

I know. I can't stand when someone bitches about an episode being too weird or "disturbing". As for people growing up and no longer liking slapstick or vulgar humor, I'm 25 and I still love it and if I ever stop I want someone to beat me to death with a big black dildo.

Back