Dead Homer Society

jameselliotbrown81

wanna live like Surströmming
I've been going on there a little bit more recently, mostly looking at older articles ("threads", I guess) because some people over there are genuinely clever and make some great points.
They are overly negative, willing to overlook every single positive thing in the show just to make a jab at Modern Simpsons but there's no doubt they are some intelligent people who can make really good analysis.

I was kind of shocked to not be able to find a dedicated thread on this website considering it's one of the only other popular (enough) Simpson dedicated forums out there (the last thread where DHS was mentioned in the title was a 7 post thread over a year ago and before that, was a 2009 thread) :confused:

So, yeah, thoughts on their site? Despite the fact I believe they're too negative, I've not visited it much because their community feels a bit empty and there's not much variety in what they discuss any more but they also make some really awesome articles/threads about smaller things in episodes that are never mentioned and write many paragraphs on them and go into a ton of detail, which I really admire and enjoy reading.
I probably will never board there but it's good for a read every now and again.

Here is an example of a negative (as always) but genuinely interesting analysis that's pretty much spot on: http://deadhomersociety.com/2012/02/01/compare-contrast-bart-and-milhouse-fall-out/

Last edited:
for all the claims of negativity I find the actual analysis solid without any flaws, so hey maybe the show really is almost that bad :gatorshrug:

Yeah, I find this to be true. Despite their constant moaning, their complaints and analysis is pretty much rock solid and impossible to argue with.
Whilst it is true what they're saying, they do focus on these things and never counteract them with moments they did like, even if it's one scene per episode.

Meh, that one article was okay, but repeating the phrase "Zombie Simpsons" over and over gets tiring. Maybe they brought up some good points, but that article wasn't insightful enough for me to want to read another one. Everything he says about Moe Goes From Rags to Riches is self-evident. It also seems like he is excusing poor writing in Bart's Friend Falls in Love on the basis that the writers know things will have to be back to normal, which is an excuse for not explaining why things are back to normal (that is how I interpreted what was written, anyway. I haven't seen Bart's Friend Falls in Love in a while so I can't remember what explanation, if any, was given for why Bart and Milhouse make up, but I interpreted that article as being more general than just referring to that one episode. That is, if there were an episode that didn't bother to explain why things are back to normal, that would be okay because it has to go back to normal anyway so who cares).

I disagree with Charlie's (the main writer) assessment of "Marge Be Not Proud" and "Homer's Enemy", but other than that I agree with most of their analysis.

Charlie did like The Longest Daycare and they do praise the odd joke or sign gag or whatever. But not very often, because there isn't usually anything funny or good to talk about.

This is a nice recentish article about defenders of the show...

Dead Homers Society is a great website. Even if I don't agree with everything they say and even if they're heavily biased toward the classic era (minus Marge Be Not Proud and Homer's Enemy), their analyses and Reading Digest compilations are enjoyable to read.

I've heard a lot of this ''Dead Homer Society'' on this board but never got around to look up what it is. Is it one of those websites your better off avoiding it?

I've heard a lot of this ''Dead Homer Society'' on this board but never got around to look up what it is. Is it one of those websites your better off avoiding it?

I hopefully summed it up as the OP.
It's a fairly negative website but they're amazing at analysis and go into great detail.
The "Modern Simpson" articles are not mean or cruel but they just constantly show off the poor side, albeit to a really close degree.
Obviously they have the classic era reviews too which are very positive.

Basically, I wouldn't stay away if you like detailed analysis.
Give the link I posted a shot, it's probably not the best article but if you liked reading it, there's plenty more where that came from.

I remember reading stuff on that site about "Bart Sells His Soul", an episode I was very interested in analysis of. Otherwise, I'm not familiar with the site.

They have been getting a little repetitive in their recent articles but I still enjoy the site. I agree with the majority of the articles and they bring up a lot of great points. Some of you have claimed that I'm too negative on the modern Simpsons episodes and I think DHS has a lot to do with that. It opened my eyes to a lot of stuff that I missed. I mean, I was aware that the new episodes were poor quality, but I couldn't really articulate why that was until I discovered that site. Their "compare and contrast" articles in particular, nicely elaborate how far the show has fallen from grace.

I will say though that I am more forgiving than they are. I mean there are some articles on that site that claim the show has been going downhill since season 7. I actually kind of wish they did more articles on the animation of the classic era, as this article in particular really made appreciate how good the show used to look: http://deadhomersociety.com/2010/08/02/animation-showcase-homer-goes-to%C2%A0college/

I will say though that I am more forgiving than they are. I mean there are some articles on that site that claim the show has been going downhill since season 7.

I would probably agree. Season 8 was great but nowhere near as consistently brilliant as Season 7 and as for 9, I don't consider it classic at all.

I would probably agree. Season 8 was great but nowhere near as consistently brilliant as Season 7 and as for 9, I don't consider it classic at all.
Well they've also mentioned how Marge Be Not Proud (an episode I quite like) was an early sign of things to come. I respect their opinion, but for me, season 9 was the turning point and even then, it's not a bad season like they make it out to be.

Well they've also mentioned how Marge Be Not Proud (an episode I quite like) was an early sign of things to come. I respect their opinion, but for me, season 9 was the turning point and even then, it's not a bad season like they make it out to be.

Woah, that's a shock. That episode is one of my all-time favourites. :( I'll read the article later, but why do they think it includes these "early signs"?
Also yes, Season 9 was the turning point IMO but 8 was weaker than 7 so technically, 7 was where the decline started.
But as you said, S9 isn't a bad season.

Edit: I realise that from what I'm saying, technically Season 6 was the start of a decline because 6>7>8>9>10, but I don't like thinking about that...

bart's friend falls in love is excellent what are you going on about

I don't think they are overly negative. There's really nothing funny about new Simpsons. It deserves to be trashed heavily.

Ocassionaly I won't agree with an opinion but DHS is a solid site.

I'm not a fan of it. They'll hammer on the bad parts, but most modern episodes do contain some pretty good stuff, and they never mention those. It's so one-sided and it gets tiring.

Well, at the very least, Dead Homers makes NHC seem less angry and rabid by comparison.

...So there's always that.

I'm not a fan of it. They'll hammer on the bad parts, but most modern episodes do contain some pretty good stuff, and they never mention those. It's so one-sided and it gets tiring.
problem is there's nothing really 'good' about the new episodes, other than the fact that they share the same (albeit pretty much devoid of any real similarities) characters as an exceedingly better show, and writers that used to be good, but have either lost their touch, ran out of ideas, their scripts got mauled by the higher uppers, or all of the above

Woah, that's a shock. That episode is one of my all-time favourites. :( I'll read the article later, but why do they think it includes these "early signs"?
Basically it's because they think the episode was handled clumsily. Too sappy rather than satirical and kind of like an "after-school" TV special. Bart acts more ashamed of himself in that episode whereas in the episode Bart vs Thanksgiving he act more like a child who doesn't understand the consequences of his actions. I kind of see what they mean, but really it's apples and oranges. The effects of Bart's actions in both episodes were very different, so it makes sense that he would react differently to them.

Also yes, Season 9 was the turning point IMO but 8 was weaker than 7 so technically, 7 was where the decline started.
But as you said, S9 isn't a bad season.

Edit: I realise that from what I'm saying, technically Season 6 was the start of a decline because 6>7>8>9>10, but I don't like thinking about that...
Agreed.

i think 8 is about on par. it might be a tad bit worse, but it's still a fantastic season with no apparent 'decline' when i saw it. 9, on the other hand, has a bunch of weak episodes. in the long run it's not even close to the worst season, but it's definitely where the decline happened. to me, anyway.

Well they've also mentioned how Marge Be Not Proud (an episode I quite like) was an early sign of things to come.
ugh, do you have a link to that? i'm gonna assume they're overly harsh on it because it's a scully episode, but i'd like to read what their actual criticisms are. the only 'articles' i've read over their were their synopses of scully commentaries, which were painfully pretentious - i remember they referred to genuine laughter as 'nervous' laughter, sarcastic apologies as actual apologies... made me wanna puke. it was like a 'rock bottom' treatment of the material

Marge Be Not Proud is not a sappy "after-school special." Scenes like Marge closing the door and her accepting Bart as her son again at the end go far deeper than the "very special episodes" that he compares MBNP to. I respect his opinion though; almost everyone has one or two classic era episodes they don't like.

Article on Marge Be Not Proud: http://deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/zs7/

iirc they just think it's too sappy, which i can agree a fair bit with. i hope it has nothing to do with scully, because even if you don't like the scully era, he has other episodes in the classic era that are amazing, like 'lisa on ice' and 'team homer'

Basically it's because they think the episode was handled clumsily. Too sappy rather than satirical and kind of like an "after-school" TV special. Bart acts more ashamed of himself in that episode whereas in the episode Bart vs Thanksgiving he act more like a child who doesn't understand the consequences of his actions. I kind of see what they mean, but really it's apples and oranges. The effects of Bart's actions in both episodes were very different, so it makes sense that he would react differently to them.
totally agree with you. when i was a kid i definitely felt guilty if i did something wrong just as bart does in 'marge be not proud', but i also acted irrationally sometimes like he does in 'bart vs. thanksgiving'. i still feel and do these things as an adult, so i can still relate to bart in both situations. these guys are just a bunch of pricks who hate mike scully.

Back