Current DVD packaging plans? AKA Lousy packaging

SUPERFOX5

Maggie Simpson fan
Even though I enjoy season 11, the way it is packaged is stupid.
I have to gently glide the DVD out of the cardboard slit.

Does anyone know what the packaging will be like for the current season sets being produced?

I don't know for sure, but just going off what they've done so far I'd say expect 14 and 15 to be packaged the same way as 11, 12, and 13. They've stuck with 5 season packaging design bunches so far. With any luck Season 16 will have different/better packaging.

I don't buy this "green" crap in the past few seasons's boxes. How often do DVD sets get thrown in the trash? They're not 21oz Subway drink cups, or whatever.

People throwing them away has little to do with it.

I know that's Fox's BS spin.

No, you're missing the point. Producing something like DVD packages still uses resources. Oil (a non-renewable resource) is required to produce plastic, carbons still go in the air from production and more or less of it will do so depending on what you're producing and how. The impact goes far, far beyond whether someone happens to throw the good in question away afterward. That's in fact only a very small part of the problem. The same would be true with Subway cups or anything else.

Plus, things like DVDs and their packaging will all - eventually - become garbage one day anyway. Just not usually immediately.

The first four volumes of Futurama also have my vote for most gorgeous DVD sets. I loved those big image montages.

Honestly, I kind of like the current Simpsons' sets. The difficulty of getting the discs out in S11 was quite annoying, but the extra indention in later seasons fixed that, and the art is outstanding (and very much in the spirit of the Futurama sets).

One of my pet peeves, though, is when companies use "going green" as an excuse to deliver inferior boxes/packaging/etc. I know the product itself is what's important, but as a super-anal collector, there's just something nice about having a quality box set (or video game) complete with all the trimmings. That and having DVDs/CDs protected well. That's part of the joys of owning a physical copy as opposed to digital media.

At first I hated the new packaging but now I've actually come around to like it. I just put the discs in seperate sleeves so they can't get scratched and then I get to enjoy all of the new artwork. To me, the packaging is just not all that important because I buy the seasons for the content so i guess I'd be all right with any kind of packaging.

Season 11's packaging is TERRIBLE! I'm not sure how much longer my poor S11 discs will last. However, I like Season 12 and 13's packaging because:

1: They're easier to get out
2: The card underneath is softer and it doesn't scrath the discs as easily.

The design will probably change on Season 16.

1-5: couch gags

6-10: simpson family heads

11-15: secondary characters' heads

16-20: something different (it's been suggested in the past, but something like places in springfield, like the power plant, the school, moe's, etc. would be cool)

21+: who knows?

i'd be down with futurama-styled DVD sets. they look amazing and are very creative. i'm not a fan of the sets of seasons 11-13, but i don't hate them. the hardest part is taking the discs out. but the artwork inside them looks nice and i really like when it looks like they took the time to make creative, nice looking innards for DVDs, which they did here (even if getting the discs out is a pain).

I hate the dvd packaging for season's 11-13. They're horrible and some of my disks are scratched already!. My favourite would've been the season 6-10 packaging. Let's hope seasons 16 - 20 packaging won't be as horribe as the season's 11 - 13 packaging!

I don't know for sure, but just going off what they've done so far I'd say expect 14 and 15 to be packaged the same way as 11, 12, and 13. They've stuck with 5 season packaging design bunches so far. With any luck Season 16 will have different/better packaging.

Yeah, I think you're right Oh, that's raspberry. Fox will most certainly change the packaging for Seasons 16 to 20 but like you said I really doubt that they will change the packaging for Seasons 14 and 15. Personally, my favorite packaging was the packaging from Seasons 6 to 10 (simple and nice to look at ;) ).

Back