Canadian Politics [Singh v Trudeau v Scheer 2019]

I know this is basically a dead thread because we don't have too many canadians and I dunno how into politics they are. But I'd be interested into knowing if there has been any coverage about the big labour dispute between the teachers and the government here in B.C and if so what kinda side do they take? There's starting to be calls for a general strike and such so we'll see.

Also feel free to just talk about any Canadian politics that'd be pretty cool

Last edited:
10703675_10152796993584924_4041450755307045970_n.jpg

Saw this for one of the rallies in favour on the teacher's union.

Little reminder for any British Columbians on the board to get out and vote in your local municipal election!

exercise you civic duty [MENTION=46191]Ruffles[/MENTION]

Living in a smaller city in B.C the progressive candidate that actually ran of course got trounced. He managed to get 18% of the vote which exceeded all expectations but still sucks because he was the one candidate speaking out about more than just baseless crime jargon that usually devours municipal elections (spoke out about homeless in the city which is becoming a pressing issue/low income housing/when discussing crime actually talked about the difference between crime being a necessity to survive and serious crimes like sexual assaults etc.). 2 of my 6 councilors made it in so that's good. The school trustee I voted for did not despite her being the ONLY candidate endorsed by the local teacher's union. like we just went through a huge labour dispute (that basically isn't resolved and probably won't be unless people wake up and vote NDP in the next provincial election that is like a bajillion years away anyway :/)

Interesting article about the Vancouver election can be read here: http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2014/11/18/COPE-Election-Results/

Lastly not that anyone is really reading this but 24(if not more) pipeline protesters have been arrested including the grandson of David Suzuki on Burnaby Mountain. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-resist-police-efforts-to-move-them-1.2841957

Last edited:
I literally can't believe that Alberta went NDP. I'd probably be eating my hat too if my 20 year old buddy got elected.

Federal election called for Oct. 19th. NDP(whom I became a member of recently) holding a slight edge on the conservatives as of today which is actually pretty unreal but who knows if it shall last. First debate is on Thursday!

so we're almost to the end of this thing
have been leaning ndp so I'm disappointed that polls are showing the Libs so high
however the polls could be misleading.
as long as harper doesn't win I'll be happy tho

I really hate how NDP lost a lot of support over the whole Niqab debate thing. This country is shit

it appears old habits die hard we're going Liberal again :oops:|
can't believe the ndp are getting railroaded this bad.
mulcair ran a great campaign and has fallen victim to some weird Canadian political disease

I also really dislike mulcair and the direction he took the party and after this debacle they pick a better candidate. Also, I really doubt that the country will go Liberal to NDP so I doubt we will see a third party in office for a long time. I hope Trudeau actually does fix our broken electoral system but I guess why would he if it gets the Liberals elected 50% of the time. I feel really low right now.

anyone wanna explain to an outsider brit why the NDPs poll ratings fell so much while the liberals rose? i only have the faintest knowledge of canadian politics but i thought like the NDP were here to stay as like the "new opposition"? also are the NDP generally more left or right than the libs? i've heard that the NDP tacked right this election and the liberals left?

sorry i'm aware these probably sound like very rudimentary questions if you've been following this for weeks/months.

Loss of support: They lost a lot of support in Quebec because they aren't against banning wearing a Niqab when you take a citizenship oath and shit cause French people don't like Muslim people and that's where they stole a lot of seats last year.

A lot of last time NDP voters were just fed up Liberals voters, but once they got on good footing again they jumped back on board.

Our voting system is severely flawed so to get out one of the worst PM of the last 50 years we had to strategically vote for whichever party had the best chance to oust Harper. As it got closer to election time it showed a lot of ridings could go either conservative or liberals so a lot of NDP voters even switched parties. We do a first past the post system which if you don't know what it is look it up cause I don't feel like typing it all out.

Mulcair is a terrible leader and has nothing really going for him. I think this election would've been different if we had a different leader. I heard he was almost a conservative before joining the party but I haven't looked into that, but I do know he did praise Thatcher at one point (a little Brit name dropping to keep you interested). Really last election was fought on the back of one of the great party leaders of the last 50 years, Jack Layton. Everyone really liked him regardless of political affiliation.

Also, polls just kind of lie here. Maybe lie isn't the best word, but I guesss really inaccurate. No one predicted the last two majorities at all. They said it should've been a tight race for a minority government.

General party info:
Yeah, the NDP are generally the left wing party while the Liberals are centre and Conservatives are right. This election the NDP pulled into the centre and liberals moved left, so really we were stuck with two centre-left parties and we see how well that went for the NDP. I really hate how Mulcair already said he isn't going to resign as leader. At least michael ignatieff (Liberal leader before Trudeau) resigned after his party lost a ton of seats.

I already expressed it before but this was the big chance for an NDP surge to really steal a win because of the lack of support for both the Liberals and the Conservatives. I doubt if this goes bad for the Liberals that next election they'll take the risk on a NDP government. A lot of Liberal support this election came from disgruntled Conservative voters after all the scandals the Cons have been going through.

It's gonna be an uphill battle for the NDP and a long 4 years. Hopefully Liberals keep their promises on some of their more progressive promises and rethink their position on some others ( Bill C-51, pipelines, etc). Also hopefully they keep their promise to bring in a different electoral system!!!!!!

Sorry for the two massive posts lol.

Loss of support: They lost a lot of support in Quebec because they aren't against banning wearing a Niqab when you take a citizenship oath and shit cause French people don't like Muslim people and that's where they stole a lot of seats last year.

A lot of last time NDP voters were just fed up Liberals voters, but once they got on good footing again they jumped back on board.

Our voting system is severely flawed so to get out one of the worst PM of the last 50 years we had to strategically vote for whichever party had the best chance to oust Harper. As it got closer to election time it showed a lot of ridings could go either conservative or liberals so a lot of NDP voters even switched parties. We do a first past the post system which if you don't know what it is look it up cause I don't feel like typing it all out.

Mulcair is a terrible leader and has nothing really going for him. I think this election would've been different if we had a different leader. I heard he was almost a conservative before joining the party but I haven't looked into that, but I do know he did praise Thatcher at one point (a little Brit name dropping to keep you interested). Really last election was fought on the back of one of the great party leaders of the last 50 years, Jack Layton. Everyone really liked him regardless of political affiliation.

Also, polls just kind of lie here. Maybe lie isn't the best word, but I guesss really inaccurate. No one predicted the last two majorities at all. They said it should've been a tight race for a minority government.

Yes we (Britain), like most of the world, use the stupid FPTP voting system.

From an outsider perspective, I would just be glad that Harper's gone. Also to be fair, 39.5% voting share for the Liberals is a bigger share of the vote than a winning party has had over here since Blair in 2001.

The numbers are coming in and it's looking like the largest voter turnout since 1993 the election where the conservatives(then called the progressive conservatives) lost every seat but two. Would've liked similar results this time and am heartbroken that the NDP is facing yet another collapse when it seemed like for once we were gonna play a huge part in government. That's what the party gets for moving to the center

Last edited:
Really I was expecting a huge NDP drop off once Layton passed on. That was a devastating blow to the party, Mulcair doesn't have near the charisma Layton had to connect with people.

if harper hadn't gotten greedy and made this a regular length election campaign, he probably would have gotten a more split vote on the left and probably an ndp or conservative minority.
it was those extra 4 weeks of momentum that gave the Liberals a shot at a majority.
both the liberals and ndp pushed hard for change in the final weeks and voters were more than happy to oblige

also does Trudeau saying "uhh" and "ahh" every third word drive anybody else crazy or is it just me?

Back