Burns Verkaufen vs Blood Feud

Which episode better portrays Burnsmithers?

• Total voters

Tamaki Suoh

NHC's Resident Smithers
Not another "which episode is better" thread. But which episode do you think better portrays the complexities of the Burnsmithers friendship/relationship, and why? I can't really decide. I think Burns Verkaufen might portray their friendship better (one of the few episodes where they are portrayed convincingly as "buddies"), but Blood Feud might have the edge in the romance department.

are you finally back posting in nhc again? :D

i would say 'blood feud' has more of exposure to the bond between burns and smithers since such aspect was shown in one of the most crucial moments in the episode itself with burns forgiving smithers against his order. i mean, as much as of an ass burns can be, i think his lenience to give such break on smithers despite having a large grudge on homer really says a lot.

i am not counting out on burns verkaufen though. there were some cute moments like the sponge bath beginning where burns tells smithers his deep inner trouble or his farewell to smithers after selling the factory. you are right that the episode shows the friendship and closeness throughout but blood feud had its moments and timing to make it seem very impactful (at least to me), so i think i'll go with it

Welcome back, Tamaki!

I'm going with the (slight) controversy and saying easily Blood Feud. It's not that Burns Verkaufen Der Kraftwerk is a bad episode at all -it's hilarious and enjoyable, and love several moments of it like the scene at Moe's and the ending- but I honestly don't think it's an ultimate thing at anything; it's funny but not the best at this, and characterizations are spot-on but I could find tons of even better episodes featuring Burns, Smithers or both.

On the other hand, Blood Feud IS the definitive Burnsmithers episode (and not only that, we have Homer making one of his best appearances of the whole season) and in humor it's as great as its rival.

Welcome back Tamaki!

Anyway, I don't watch either much, but I think I think their friendship is better portrayed in friendship.

Welcome back Tamaki, hope you're back for good.

To the poll: I went with "Blood Feud"

I'd say Feud by a little bit, mainly because the defiance of Smithers and Burns reconsidering is a very interesting turn of events.

Ah, a worthy foe those Germans are, but they are no match for Mr. Xt'tapalatakettle!

hope you stick around Tamaki :D

anyway, I'll have to go with Blood Feud. not only it has one of the best Burns/Smithers characterizations but it's also one of the first episode that establishes their relationship. seryously, Burns and Smithers were near perfect in that episode. however Burns Verkaufen Der Kraftwerk is not a bad episode by any means, it still manages to portrait them very nicely.

humour wise I think Blood Feud is also better than Burns Verkaufen Der Kraftwerk so it definitely gets my vote here.

Kraftwerk.

More sensical plot line (Bart is the ONLY person with that type of blood in town?) plus better jokes.

Welcome back, Tamaki!

I'm going with the (slight) controversy and saying easily Blood Feud. It's not that Burns Verkaufen Der Kraftwerk is a bad episode at all -it's hilarious and enjoyable, and love several moments of it like the scene at Moe's and the ending- but I honestly don't think it's an ultimate thing at anything; it's funny but not the best at this, and characterizations are spot-on but I could find tons of even better episodes featuring Burns, Smithers or both.

On the other hand, Blood Feud IS the definitive Burnsmithers episode (and not only that, we have Homer making one of his best appearances of the whole season) and in humor it's as great as its rival.

Thank you for this post, you just saved me a whole lot of writing

i personally don't think the Burns-Smithers relationship is terribly complex, but yes, these are the two i would single out on the subject. Blood Feud sort of shows how Burns recognizes that Smithers is an integral part of how he functions, and that even in his tyrannical single-mindedness can he concede to Smithers' simple wisdom. but all the stuff about Smithers being willing to do anything for Burns was dealt with already in Brush With Greatness.

Burns Verkaufen Der Kraftwerk is less iconic about its concern with the Burns/Smithers thing. i find it better in its subtlety, how Burns is more humanized than his typical egomaniacal self, willing to compromise the Power Plant for a quaint existence. this almost humbling desire for happiness in turn provides for one his more kindly interactions with Smithers, who in turn feels regret at Burns' leaving and yet simultaneously respects his decision.

i guess i prefer the latter.

Back