Bob's Burgers is getting a theatrical movie

i jumped the gun in the bob thread apparently

pretty bizarre that this show that's had pretty poor ratings will be making it to it's 9th season and theatrical film

that release date though, summer 2020 is a really bad idea I'm sure it'll get pushed to spring 2021 if fox is smart

Wonder if the show will get renewed past season 9. Otherwise the movie could be a possible finale. Released nearly a year after the last episode then.

This is pretty nuts. Exciting admittedly even though I dropped off towards the end of season 5 so I'd have a fair bit of catching up to do, but Jesus, the show must just survive off of merchandise sales because looking at the numbers it's pretty clear not that many are watching it each week. Certainly not enough to make a Fox exec thing it's worth giving it a theatrical feature film.

Maybe the fact that the show's animation isn't anything special to look at helps in that they won't have to break the bank even if they make it a little nicer looking for the big screen.

It's definitely a killer in merch and apparently did strong numbers on Netflix.

Though that's a good point: Bob's is not a particularly ambitious show that would go for something like, say live-action or have an epic, special effects heavy plot like The Simpsons Movie, which had a rather slim $75 mil budget. And that, even as the highest-grossing TV adaptation couldn't crack 200 million domestic. I'm imagining Fox greenlit it under the notion that it has a 30 to 50 mil budget. I mean, even if uses something like Toon Boom Harmony, I guess whatever MLP cost will be telling and I doubt it's over 30 mil.

So even if Bob's earns a fairly mediocre $30 mil opening weekend at the box office (easy considering skyrocketing inflation), it will still make a decent chunk of change. I mean, is the show even popular worldwide? I have no clue.

I'm not sure how popular it is. It's really a cult show that has snugged in comfortably with the big hits, and yet it receives the best attention as Bob's Burgers fans are more loyal than I've seen about fans with other shows. I'm caught up on the show now and it's been doing fine. My love for the show hasn't changed, but it's not a priority on my watch list and I go weeks without watching the show, just to find moments where I binge half a season. Which is REALLY why I want the movie to be the end of it.

Do 10 seasons and a movie and call it a day. They'll probably have enough holdovers from season 9 to make it happen on the cheap. Wrap the season up in May or June 2020, then drop the film in August as the true finale. Close the book on the show and let it more or less go out on top.

As much as I love the show, I'm hoping the movie is the sign of it coming to an end. It's a great show, but I personally don't want to see it entering it's 10 year rot like Family Guy or The Simpsons.

Back