Better Call Saul

“Better Call Saul presents: Slippin’ Jimmy”​

As a nohomers.net alumnus, it is my duty to watch and review the strange and unknown of the animation world. This is just one of those strange and unknown shows. When the series was first announced, the fanbase at large seemed to immediately have a silent, unanimous agreement to ignore this series existence. I’ve seen a handful of reviews made since then, but otherwise its been (rightly) ignored. Since I have nothing better to do on a Sunday, I might as well add this to my growing list of “obscure ass cartoons I’ve watched”.

The series is meant to show Jimmy McGills adventures as an elementary school aged kid. Usually paired with his best friend Marco, and usually dealing with a bully named Trent. Each episode is based on a movie (a western style snowball fight, an exorcist parody with a school teacher, Cool hand luke parody in reform camp, ect). Not a terrible series premise I guess, young Jimmy imagining he’s in the films he would’ve watched as a kid, though its not really presented in that way.

What confuses me is just, who is this series actually for? The series is rated TV-MA, but the show itself is really tame. A few things that wouldn’t pass for a children's network (the bus driver suggestively rubbing a stick shift while reading a romance novel is the raunchiest it ever got), but a kid could watch this okay, though they’d probably be as bored as I was when watching it.

The few jokes in it are awkward and wordy. The animation is pretty typical Rick and Morty/Netflix sitcom visuals (series was animated partly by Starburns who does R&M). The backgrounds occasionally look pretty nice, the animation of the characters themselves are fine for what this is, just the designs are ugly and the poses are really stiff. Occasionally dipping into creepy when their heads are put into a weird angle/eyes bulge out. A few weird/unpleasant shots, but for a short web series, it does the job.

Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 5.41.12 PM.png

For BB/BCS fans, there’s surprisingly not really any references to those shows. Chuck is shown in the silent movie episode, which is about Jimmy getting a record player for him to listen to Debussy, and ends with Jimmy studying law books with him. That was fine, easily the shows best episode, maybe by default just for not having any spoken dialogue. There’s a brief reference in that episode as well to that scene of Jimmy buying bowling balls at the pawn shop, but outside of that, there’s no obvious references/callbacks, for better or worse. Unless you wanna make claims like Trent the bully is the same Trent that waited for Walter/Hank in Confessions, or the girl Jimmy asks out in the bus episode is one of his wives. Of course nothing in this cartoon is canon, but then what does this series actually do as a BCS spinoff outside of naming its two main characters Jimmy and Marco?

The show just isn’t interesting. I would honestly enjoy it more if it went for low hanging fruit. If it did dumb shit like a young Kim and Walt being at his detention camp, or Mike being his babysitter. If the AMC content producers really wanted an animated series in the BB universe, they should’ve done something fun. Give me chibi Better Call Saul SD, balls to the wall random/what if scenarios with the characters I know and love.

This was probably just meant to be a cute side series like the training videos to advertise the show/maybe snag an Emmy nomination, but if you’re going to do that, why not make something more fun and creative, instead of this not quite children's cartoon, that kids will probably never watch because its stuck on AMC’s broken app, and 99% of the BCS fans who saw the trailer of this immediately thought it was shit and vaccum cleaned it out of their minds.

All 6 episodes were written by Ariel Levine (writer of Axe and Grind and Something Unforgivable) and Kathleen Williams-Foshee (script coordinator of BCS Seasons 3-6). They’re passable kids show quality stories, not terrible, but also not really funny or interesting. I was just bored. The episodes are only 9 minutes including credits, so it took less than an hour to watch it all. Compared to my usual Sunday routine of laying in bed thinking about my many life mistakes, I guess this was a little more pleasant.

A very strange series that exists. The idea of this show actually existing and the few memes made of it are kind of funny, but not worth the time/effort put into this that could’ve gone elsewhere.

"Point and Shoot"

RIP Lalo. Of course he would die smiling. Did not expect Howard to also be buried with him in the super lab, damn that's sad. At least Mike gave him some respect with his fake suicide.

Lalo’s final scenes with Gus were about as good/tense as they could be, despite it being very obvious how it was going to end. I love that Jimmy indirectly helped Gus figure out Lalo’s plan. Great speech too by Giancarlo, his Spanish has gotten a lot better.

Rhea was phenomenal this episode, from her complete horrified shock at the start to her cold dead stare at the end. How Kim reacts to this will be what defines these remaining episodes. Saul Goodman can forget about this, but can she? Will seeing Jimmy’s reaction be what causes her to leave?

Very well directed/acted episode. Wish Lalo's death could've been less predictable in how it played out, but I'll take it.

Now, we go into the unknown.

“Fun and Games”

-So that was the “Gus Finds Love” part from that one article. Was getting really antsy at first, but by the end I realized that was a really good, possibly final major scene, for Gus. A moment of Gus briefly enjoying his victory, getting lost in conversation, only to be consumed once again by his hatred, his driven need for revenge.

Both Gus and Mike’s final scenes here I would honestly be okay with being their final scenes of the whole series. Both illustrate their revenge mindsets that will lead to their ends. We’ll probably get one last Mike/Saul scene (talking about Kim?), and an appearance of the completed superlab, but those were both good final scenes leading into their BB selves.

-Jesus that scene with Howards wife, god damn. You are scarily good at that Kim. That was even more aggravating than Jimmy/Kim making out over Howards conference call.

-Speaking of ends, I think this episode was the finale of pretty much everything exclusive to Better Call Saul’s world. HHM, Kim/Jimmys apartment (where did the goldfish go : \ ), all of the lawyer characters. The last thing to leave from that world was Kim, the only person left to separate Jimmy from the empty shell of Saul Goodman.

Was that last scene shot on film? It looked like it. I was curious if they were actually going to use non digital cameras again for all the BB era scenes.

-Well, we’re absolutely getting Walt/Jesse next ep. I was hoping/thinking for a while we’d get 2-3 BB era eps, but now I think they can easily cover everything they need to in just 1, then devote the last 3 to Gene/Kim.

Kim is definitely meeting Gene, but how, and will we see anything of her until then? How many Breaking Bad cameos will we get next episode? Will we finally get Kuby? Fat suit Huell? And who the hell is Carol Burnett going to play?

All this and more next time, on Breaking Bad Kai.

I have a feeling I’m gonna end up wishing this was the series finale haha. Especially if you’re right about Walt and Jesse. Please god don’t have them be on this show

I have a feeling I’m gonna end up wishing this was the series finale haha. Especially if you’re right about Walt and Jesse. Please god don’t have them be on this show
Too late, they've already been confirmed to appear in interviews.

Thomas Schnauz said on twitter the previous episode ended "sometime between 2005-07" so the chance of getting 2 Breaking Bad era episodes seems higher to me now (unless that other theory of these last episodes being Jimmy/Saul/Gene's timelines simultaneously comes true). My initial thought was the episode ended just weeks before Sauls first BB appearance, the handicapped tag expiring Nov 08'. This does open for Tuco/Krazy-8 to have final appearances though, which I wouldn't mind, Tuco would be another good bookend from the first Season.

I trust this section of the show will be handled just fine, but right now I'm far more interested in seeing Gene again than the "Breaking Bad from Saul's perspective" portion.

“Nippy”

After three intense episodes that dismantled the Better Call Saul universe to make way for Breaking Bad, the show skips again in time to our first full Gene episode.

Was hoping for something grander involving Jeff, that he’d remain an intimidating threat to Gene rather than a wannabe con artist, but he served his purpose in giving Gene “color” in his life again (was fully expecting Gene to put that shirt on and the show to go back to color).

Gene put the suit back in the end, but he knows Saul is who he is, you can’t leave the game, ect. But where does he go now? Doing more small schemes until getting caught? Finding Kim and asking if they can be that happy, horrible couple once again?

It’s hard to give a full opinion on this without knowing what the last 3 episodes are. People seem to be pretty mixed on it right now, and not just for skipping over the Breaking Bad era. I think I’ll enjoy it more in the long run, a lighter episode about Gene regaining his soul while charming the pants off Carol Burnett and Jerry from Parks & Rec, but I can’t say I don’t feel a little blue balled from how Jeff's character was handled.

Will be very interesting seeing how these last three episodes are structured. A full Breaking Bad era episode seemed like the easiest idea for filling in the gaps needed for Better Call Saul to fully make sense as a standalone show, but that era might end up being flashbacks/interweaved with the Gene story taking over. We’re definitely getting a lot more screen time from that era, just surprised they’re going this direction with the story’s structure.

(this episode/post sponsored by Cinnabon. would legitimately kill for one rn ngl)

loved it. i would also be happy with this as a finale haha. a hint that maybe he's going back, don't beat us over the head. but these guys don't seem to like leaving things even the tiniest bit open ended

Amazing episode. I like that the show finally enters saul-as-we-knew-him era and you're expecting the next episode to be, essentially, the show we imagined when it was announced nearly a decade ago - and instead it swerves left into an all-gene adventure. Compared to his brushes with cartel violence, this scheme is low-stakes yet it still felt incredibly tense. I love the little moments - marion's personality, frank busting out the fork and knife, the way he always rotates his plate around like clockwork. The montage is so great. If this is the last we ever see of gene (and thus the world chronologically) I think it makes for a wonderful coda to his story.

I feel like this is one of those episodes we are going to appreciate more when the show is all said and done. Here's my thoughts:

“Breaking Bad”

Thinking on it, I wouldn’t have minded if Nippy was the true final episode, and the final three were just filling in the spots between that and BB. It was open ended, but it was also likely the “happiest” ending Gene could’ve gotten. He got a little of his spark back, but is still forced to live in hiding forever, a perfect punishment for Jimmy.

...but of course, Jimmy just can’t help himself. He goes back to Slippin’ Jimmy cons, but with that extra bitter spirit of Saul, once again broken from losing his chance with Kim.

The parallel being made between Gene’s new scheme with making Walter his client was a good way to interweave BB’s story in the show. But will Gene end up meeting the same fate as last time, ruining these people’s lives and running away again? Or is his uncontrollable greed finally going to bring his downfall.

Was happy with the closure given from Francesca’s call, for Saul’s crew, a Skyler mention, even Bill Oakley (good for him coming out). Walter/Jesse scene did a good job re-establishing those characters, with Mike’s (hilarious) scene cementing Saul’s large role in building Heisenberg’s empire.

Going to guess Gene will escape that house, then Marion will try to have him arrested. And a BB era scene of Saul learning where Kim ended up (a sprinkler repair company in Florida..).

Whatever the case, I think a happy ending is off the table.

EDIT:

Wow, apparently Gene was actually talking to Kim during that phone call. Someone was able to get the audio from that scene.

Last edited:
“Waterworks”

Where as Gene was forced to live a colorless life in Nebraska, Kim’s dull life in Florida was a prison she chose for herself. The evidence was all gone, but she just couldn’t live guilt free, burying herself under an empty suburban life, not allowing herself to even decide on an ice cream flavor, wanting to be that removed from her past self.

Jimmy can pretend to himself and move on from his emotions easily. He did it with Chuck, to Howard, and with a little practice, to Kim. Kim’s actions were just as if not more vile and unforgivable as Jimmy, but she couldn’t bottle up her feelings following them like he could.

While Kim tries to come clean on her past, Jimmy continues his stupor into morally his lowest point. On the edge of killing a cancer patient and an elderly woman, both times just barely stopping himself. He loves the thrill and performance, but just can’t bring himself to that level of wickedness Walt reached.

Jimmy finally reflecting on his actions and turning himself in would be a fine ending. Maybe he’ll try to vacuum himself one more time, or consider suicide, but I think he’ll finally have that same moment of realization Kim had here on the airport shuttle. What he’ll decide to do after that moment, we’ll have to see.

-Jesse/Kim scene was neat to see, if unnecessary. Emilio’s appearance got more of a reaction from me, his first appearance since the Breaking Bad pilot. Another nice bookend for the franchise, along with Gene seeing his Saul commercial again in color, and Kim using the ticket booth again (RIP).

-Gus and Mike’s deaths are finally brought up. Think it’s safe to say they’re gone now (“Solid.” -Mike Ehrmantraut’s final line), but curious if any other previous characters will pop up in the finale. I know there’s at least one more BB era scene left with a certain character, could easily see Chuck getting one last flashback.

I can't believe we're at this point. The finale will air from 9:00 - 10:38 PM. tomorrow. Might have to buy some cinnabons for the occasion.

I'm not entering into this with any expectation that it should emulate Breaking Bad whatsoever. I just want it to hold it's own as it's own show. I'm glad it's shot in New Mexico and has essentially the same writers/directors (It reminds me of how The Sopranos ended and Mad Men immediately began with like 10 of their writers/directors), so hopefully there's a pattern in terms of success. I'm really looking forward to seeing the fresh perspective they could bring to an already existing universe.
2/8/2015, My first post in this thread before the series aired.

"Saul Gone"

-Loved the use of the time machine question, the flashbacks to Mike/Walt/Chuck’s takes on regret leading to Jimmy’s final confession, finally acknowledging his actions and telling the truth. Jimmy got to bullshit the legal system one more time into a comfortable 7 year sentence, then finally put Saul Goodman to bed by facing his conscience, and regaining Kim’s respect.

-Overall, Jimmy and Kim got fairly happy endings. Jimmy gets to live pretty much the same as he did as Gene, but surrounded by inmates that love him (and presumably won’t corrupt him again). Kim becomes a lawyer again, I think (not sure about that line on her license never expiring), or at least gets involved with helping the legal system once more. They both accepted the blame of their actions and get to try and move on with that peace in mind. More than what they deserve, but both satisfying conclusions to their characters.

-Liked the Mike/Jimmy opening, though I prefer the idea they had to drink pee that whole desert trip until they got to that gas station. A water break dulls that a little. Also winced a little at Jimmy’s first mention of Chuck (CUT TO SHOT OF ELECTRIC EXIT SIGN). The inmates chanting Better Call Saul was pretty silly, but I enjoyed that part.

I thought this was a good conclusion to the series. Jimmy having a sincere reflection of his whole life and taking the consequences of that. He didn’t run off again, or rebuild his empire from prison, just accepted himself and had one last smoke with the love of his life.

And with that, the Albuquerque universe is done. Quite a ride, eh? I didn’t watch Breaking Bad until 2014, but BCS I got to watch as it aired for its last three Seasons. Going to miss reading all the analyses and memes made after every new episode, reading lionelhutz123 and Phillip J Reeds (rip) essay length write ups, and most of all, just seeing what these characters are up to and experiencing the excellent writing/direction by Gould and Gilligan’s crew.

Now, to eat some mint chip ice cream (nearest Cinnabon is 10 miles from me :mad: Eh, maybe on the weekend).

"Saul Gone"

-Loved the use of the time machine question, the flashbacks to Mike/Walt/Chuck’s takes on regret leading to Jimmy’s final confession, finally acknowledging his actions and telling the truth. Jimmy got to bullshit the legal system one more time into a comfortable 7 year sentence, then finally put Saul Goodman to bed by facing his conscience, and regaining Kim’s respect.

-Overall, Jimmy and Kim got fairly happy endings. Jimmy gets to live pretty much the same as he did as Gene, but surrounded by inmates that love him (and presumably won’t corrupt him again). Kim becomes a lawyer again, I think (not sure about that line on her license never expiring), or at least gets involved with helping the legal system once more. They both accepted the blame of their actions and get to try and move on with that peace in mind. More than what they deserve, but both satisfying conclusions to their characters.[/spoiler]

i liked it (and officially think this is the better show), but this pretty much sums up my one issue with it. it's basically the same ending as breaking bad, tbh. he gets to go out on his own terms, proving he was better than everyone else the whole time, regaining the respect of the woman in his life (including with a similar "forgiveness" scene), etc etc. they can't go balls out and take a chance on an ending. it has to be "he loses, but he also kinda wins?" playing every possible angle every time 

I'm here! This happens to me every season. Hitting a deadline for 12 weeks straight (13 if you count the season 5 finale review I did one week prior to season 6) can take alot out of me by the end. Usually it took up most of my weekend. Now that there's no new episode coming, I can let the finale marinade in my head for a bit.

But yeah, I'll write it soon. I have many thoughts on it in a rough draft. Overall I very much liked it. More than Breaking Bad's.

I also plan to do proper write-ups for season 1 at some point.

sorry wasn’t trying to rush you haha. Just felt like I had killed the thread when I was expecting some discussion

Actually your post has made me reflect alot on series finales in general. It's interesting because I can't think of many where a character doesn't win in some way. Even a bold, divisive finale like in The Sopranos,   a show where the protagonist has put everyone close to him through hell and back, ends with Tony sharing onion rings with his family in a diner. Something comforting to a tv audience at face value despite the deeper subtext that can be interpreted from it. And yet, they still take a more blunt approach by having Dr. Melfi write Tony off instead of her shrugging shoulders and saying "hey you're a murderous, criminal sonuvabitch, but best of luck on your travels Anthony. It's been quite a ride."  

It's interesting how Gilligan and Gould's universe gets away with being more sympathetic for its characters. With Walt successfully getting through his checklist in Breaking Bad's finale, I'm more critical of the execution of how Walt gets from point A to B to C because it defies exploring the in-between moments of his criminal pursuit which the show always excelled with when at its best. I feel like the creative decision behind stripping that format from the finale was perhaps to help emphasize how unrecognizable Walt had become by the end. We were no longer following him. He was popping up from place to place like a monster.

But what's interesting about Saul is how it recontextualizes Walt's story. I have already grown to hate Walt on repeated watches from the pilot on, but Saul really helps cement that. Now when I watch Breaking Bad, the finale might seem even worse because Walt was already a monster to me from the very beginning. For the finale to act otherwise and still have him be a bad ass, it almost feels like Gilligan/Gould would rewrite it if they could even though they would never admit it.

I don't want to delve too much into my thoughts on Saul's finale until I get that review out, but I think Saul overcame the follies of Breaking Bad's ending in a much more impressive, artful way despite repeating similar creative choices.

Last edited:
I guess what I mean is that there's a thin line between honoring the character/overall story and honoring the character beyond the story, if that makes sense. Walter White gets the wishy washy ending because Gilligan found Walt to be a fun vehicle for the revenge fantasy which conflicts thematically with a body of work which frowned upon his behavior the entire series.

Tony's journey gets honored regardless of what happened to him because of exactly what you said: he's learned nothing. Chase found a way to honor that while still preserving the core engagement we have with the character, being a larger-than-life force who's day to day bleeds between his family and his Family.

Gilligan on the other hand seemed afraid we wouldn't feel as fascinated by Walt's ending if he didn't offer a celebratory Heisenberg send-off. He leaned into what fans most positively responded to but muddled what the show aimed to be by doing so.

Yeah I don’t want to delve into motives really, but I’ve always felt they were scared to alienate the (somewhat sizable) “badass Walt” fans. but those were always the absolute dumbest bb fans out there so catering the ending to them made it, well dumb

Vince Gilligan's new show will star Rhea Seehorn as the lead! I will be all over this especially since I have been craving a drama that's not centered around an anti-hero for a while. I'm excited to see what Vince and the crew can pull off especially with Rhea bringing the powerhouse performing talent.

Back