Best Swartzwelder episode

714MatchesFound

Pin Pal
The possibilities are endless.

I think mine is “Homer’s Enemy.”

“Rosebud” and “Homer the Great” are second and third respectively.

Homer the Great, which is my all-time favorite episode, but really, there are too many amazing runners-up. Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment, Homer at the Bat and You Only Move Twice are also among my 10 favorite episodes of the show (and I believe my top 5 best Swartzwelder episodes would be completed with Bart the Murderer).

Truly one of the best writers on the show (at least in the classic era). The quirkiness, absurdity and cleverness he usually gave to his scripts was great, even when the episodes weren't too good they were usually positives.

I'm thinking 'Homer At The Bat' remains my favorite of his scripts (if I could choose just one). It remains as well-written, memorable & hilarious as it was when I first saw it (and I admire how he made a sports-themed episode work so well even for non-sports fans).

Other favorites include 'Bart The General' (yes, a season 1 episode), 'Bart The Murderer', 'Homer The Great', 'Bart's Comet', 'Homie The Clown', 'The Day The Violence Died', 'Homer Vs. The Eighteenth Amendment', 'Homer's Enemy' & 'I Am Furious Yellow'.

You Only Move Twice. Let's be real, no episode could be that relatable and funny at the same time in just about 22 minutes. Going away from home, moving to a new neighborhood, meeting a new boss, endlessly funny quotes (If you could kill someone on your way out, it would be of big help!), Marge's lack of football knowledge... and not to mention it was a holdover Season 7 episode. Homer the Great comes close as a great runner-up.

I’ll do a top 5:

1. Bart’s Comet
2. Homer at the Bat
3. The Boy Who Knew Too Much
4. Homie the Clown
5. Homer the Great

Honorable mentions to Bart the Murderer, You Only Move Twice, Homer vs. the 18th Amendment and Itchy and Scratchy Land.

Rosebud, Homer at the Bat, Homer the Smithers, Bart Gets Hit by a Car, Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish (co-written but still), Homer's Enemy...

Bart's Comet is in some ways the quintessential Simpsons episode and is my personal favorite Swartzwelder episode.

top five:
01. Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie
02. Homer the Vigilante
03. Bart Carny
04. Itchy & Scratchy Land
05. Radioactive Man
hm: Take My Wife, Sleaze

Reactions: Sam
Two Cars in every Garage..., Bart the Murderer, Homer at the Bat, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, Homer the Great, Bart's Comet, Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendament.
Those are my favorites but overall I enjoy every John episode from the first ninth seasons.

Back