Barts Comet

?

• Total voters

The lesson is never try

Come on England!
Rarely gets mentioned here really, but after watching season 6 again, this really was a brilliant episode, great charectarizations, great humour, interesting plot, it had eerythin, definetly one of the highlights of season 6, and in my top ten.

5/5 A+

A Hilarious episode with some of my favourite quotes. 4/5

Quimby: Now, here's what we think the impact might look like. Show them, Jerry.
[first slide shows arrows pointing to "Springfield" and the "Comet"]
[second slide shows collision of two and an arrow pointing to "Moe's"]
Moe: Oh, dear God, no!
Quimby: Fortunately we have a plan: Professor Frink?
Frink: Nn-hey, good evening, ladies and --
Man: [hysterical] Quit stalling! What's the plan?
Frink: All right, just take your seat, just take your seat. Now, working with former Carter Administration officials and military men who were forced into early retirement for various easons which we won't go into here, nn-hey, we have planned his defense for the city: [flicks a switch] as the comet hurtles towards the city, our rocket will intercept it and blow it to smithereens.
[little models of the comet and rocket demonstrate]
[the comet explodes and catches "Moe's" on fire]

I don't see how people can't enjoy this episode. It has everything an essential episode needs. Emotion + Humor + Great Plot + Almost every single character from the show crammed in a bunker. It is one of the most well rounded episodes of the simpsons, and it is crafted very well. There were definately a few jokes that didn't work for me (The Two Pilots Joke suffered from Family Guy Syndrome), but overall it was very well crafted. One of Swartzwelder's best episodes.

9/10 (A-)

Pretty good episode, and I loved how the shelter was destroyed by the remaining piece of comet bouncing off it. 4/5

After repeatetd viewing, it creeps up on Lisas Substitute, Summer of 4'2 and LETS to become one of the, if not the, best episode of all time. A+.

While its not top 25 material and has occassional pacing problems, this, IMO, is one of best "Just a Bunch of Stuff that happened" episode. One of the few instances for me when I am not worrying about an engaging story or chracterisation because I am laughing so damn much. Flanders and Skinner (in the beginning) are really great in this episode and so is almsot all of Springfield. I feel, the opinion on this episode depends on wtether the gags work for you or not and for me, it does. However, the 3rd act is kinda weak.

A-/B+

Two pilots joke..Family Guy-esque? Blasphemy!!

The pilots bit would be more "Family Guy"-ish if the scene were longer and/or dragged out further.

Oh, where was I? One of the worst episodes of Season 6, with a good plot and some good jokes, but I never really got into it. I do love the ending though. This, and the DVD commentary, are what make me generous enough to give it 4/5 rather than the 3/5 I used to give it.

This may be the most Mirkin-esque episode ever made; the fact that it's Mirkin's favorite episode isn't very surprising. Thin story, decent characterizations, great ironic Mirkiny gags throughout iirc, and of course there's a mob. I guess grading this is up to personal taste, but I like it..

A-

5/5 easily one of the best of season I really like the Moe part already mentioned:
Dr. Bartley said:
Quimby: Now, here's what we think the impact might look like. Show them, Jerry.
[first slide shows arrows pointing to "Springfield" and the "Comet"]
[second slide shows collision of two and an arrow pointing to "Moe's"]
Quimby: Fortunately we have a plan: Professor Frink?
Frink: Nn-hey, good evening, ladies and --
Man: [hysterical] Quit stalling! What's the plan?
Frink: All right, just take your seat, just take your seat. Now, working with former Carter Administration officials and military men who were forced into early retirement for various easons which we won't go into here, nn-hey, we have planned his defense for the city: [flicks a switch] as the comet hurtles towards the city, our rocket will intercept it and blow it to smithereens.
[little models of the comet and rocket demonstrate]
[the comet explodes and catches "Moe's" on fire]
And I love Moe's generic barnyard noise (baby Ox), everytime I hear it it makes me laugh.

I really love this episode. I love the emotional parts as well as the jokes: I actually find the "Que Sera Sera" scene rather touching.

I love the bit in this episode where everyone is in the bomb shelter and Homer starts ranting on about how Flanders should die while whispering apologies to Rod and Todd. I love it even more though when everyone starts arguing and Homer says:

"I'm disgusted with all of you - especially his children" and he glowers at Rod and Todd. Just thinking about it makes me laugh.

Number 10767 said:
I really love this episode. I love the emotional parts as well as the jokes: I actually find the "Que Sera Sera" scene rather touching.

I thought that was a reference to "When Flanders Failed", but it wasn't mentioned on the commentary. Anyway...I thought it was equally cheesy :uhh:

FuzzyWuzzyWuzABear said:
I thought that was a reference to "When Flanders Failed", but it wasn't mentioned on the commentary. Anyway...I thought it was equally cheesy :uhh:

I think it works here but not in flanders failed. I don't know why that is.

I agree and I think I know why it works here or at least why it doesn't work in WFF, but I'm not telling. :D

Back