Balenciaga short

10 Minute Sketch the Simpsons did for Balenciaga:
I like how this 10-minute commercial will wind up longer, more heartfelt and boast more layered plot threads than any of this year's Treehouse of Horror segments... and that it still made all of the fashionable clothing look ludicrously hideous while adorning our beloved characters.

:hulk: Marge's birthday is CANONICALLY October 1, same day as Randy Quaid, I absolutely refuse to respect this complete and utter disregard for continuity

:hulk: Marge's birthday is CANONICALLY October 1, same day as Randy Quaid, I absolutely refuse to respect this complete and utter disregard for continuity
Floating timelines mean floating birthdays. At least they kept this new date relatively close to the last one. We probably won't be so lucky when they elect to change it to something else.

I actually find it kinda depressing that a commercial short made to promote a luxury fashion company (insert comment about the Simpsons selling out here) can be an extensive 10 minutes with a rather meaty plot and some decent gags while the Disney+ shorts are short, rushed and unfunny with pretty much zero story.

Oh, and I haven't seen the entire thing yet but looks good and well made with some nice animation, a surprisingly decent plot and nice enough writing (for an extended commercial). I liked how they made it about Marge's birthday (and as said before, the floating timeline doesn't bother me. Get over it, people).

.. yeah oddly that was actually really nice! And Merl just sniped my thought that yeah, this shows up the last two shorts a lot. maybe that extra five minutes counts for something, it is basically half an episode.

Think my personal highlights are the "translator" and the timelapse. So yeah, nice one. Really!

Speaking of birthdays, doesn't Bart have two different ones? I think there was April 1st and somewhere in February?

Speaking of birthdays, doesn't Bart have two different ones? I think there was April 1st and somewhere in February?
Simpsorama broke with form and realigned Bart's birthday to February 23rd. I don't believe it has been course-corrected back to April since, either.

Lisa's birthday was reconfirmed as May 9th in Mr. Lisa's Opus... one she shares with Luigi and Hubert Wong.

It's been a minute since we've been provided Homer's date of birth. People still associate it with May 12th (as per Duffless) and I don't believe he's celebrated it on-screen since Homerazzi.

Feels odd that we've had so many episodes with Lisa's birthday being forgotten as a plot point without it being mentioned that Homer's big day was a mere 3 days afterwards. I can speak from experience on this as my own birthday is often overshadowed AND my father's birthday falls 3 days after my own.

I think there's also an offhand comment from Bart back in Season 8 about being two years and 38 days older but that was probably forgotten too as that'd mean Lisa's birthday would be, funny enough, 2nd of april... I think. I suck at math.

Which, fair enough. Something that arbitrary is really hard to keep straight unless it's a really memorable date.

April 1 was just in a book, it's not canon. February 23 is consistent with I Married Marge (conceived after empire strikes back + 9 months)

Can't really apply The Empire Strikes Back guideline in a world with a floating timeline. As of right now, Bart was born in 2011. Ditto for Lisa being born during the 1984 Summer Olympics.

Of course, the one reality where you COULD have both things be true would be a world where Springfield itself was stuck in temporal stasis from the outside world. Histories and futures would course correct to "make sense" with whatever present day the characters we know and love presently inhabit but Bart and Lisa would've actually been born in the 1980s and just no longer realize it.

So that's where the remaining stereotypes about France that couldn't make it to To Courier with Love were.

Does anyone know who directed it ? The animation seems a bit more fluid than usual in the series, and there are some interesting framing. My guess is on Silverman, like the Disney+ shorts ?

As for the "short" itself, yeah it's rather sad that it feels more substantial and made with more care than many ToH segments from the past decade, for something that is more of a commercial (with jabs at themselves though) than anything, and like Brad said, their clothing still doesn't look that good, on the characters at least. (OK Lisa does look adorable.) I've got a couple of laughs like the translator scene and the perfume.

(I didn't know we pull out our pants to show our butts here in France.)

Does anyone know who directed it ? The animation seems a bit more fluid than usual in the series, and there are some interesting framing. My guess is on Silverman, like the Disney+ shorts ?
You're right, it's Silverman. Desite quiting from episodes work, he always does all the short 'in-last-moment' shorts.

I can certainly believe it was directed by Silverman as the animation had his style (and I think I could see a few Rob Oliver moments as well) and I'd say that the animation direction itself was the highlight.

Having watched the entire thing now, it was pretty decentwith a nice enough story, solid voice acting, good pacing and some nice jokes. Some moments were a little wonky, such as the runway section (that wasn't as funny as I thought it would be), many of the guest characters had kinda odd looking designs & Marge's CGI gold dress looked weird (I assume it was CGI since it looked too 3D and cel-shaded to be traditional), but as a whole it was a fine effort and well worth at least one viewing.

I wish the Disney+ shorts (as well as modern 'Treehouse' segments, I guess) would take inspiration from it of how to craft a short story since really, they need to do better a lot of the time.

Last edited:
Comparing to previous Disney+ "shorts", this short (or to better say "special" 10-minute long) is much better.

The staff did big work, I believe. At least, remind that "Jean's tweet from France" this summer.

The image of needlework was really accurate, as well as satire on fashion show (here they had more time, than in To Courier wirh Love).

The dresses were drawn very nice. Marge's gold dress is really beautiful.

Also a neat detail to Smithers' choice scene (outdated though) and Lisa's little line to "remind, who is Lisa Simpson". Someone may dislike this as out-of-character, but I liked it.

What I didn't like? Err… not much. Maybe Homer's too stupid jerkass behaviour some times.

In summary I gave… no mark (its commercial anyway). Just say, the special done really properly and Al Jean with co at least were think in working to create something NICE and FUNNY.

Last edited:
Can't really apply The Empire Strikes Back guideline in a world with a floating timeline. As of right now, Bart was born in 2011. Ditto for Lisa being born during the 1984 Summer Olympics.

Of course, the one reality where you COULD have both things be true would be a world where Springfield itself was stuck in temporal stasis from the outside world. Histories and futures would course correct to "make sense" with whatever present day the characters we know and love presently inhabit but Bart and Lisa would've actually been born in the 1980s and just no longer realize it.
To expand on your earlier post a bit, the "bare bones canon" in my mind is that homer and marge saw A movie (doesn't matter which one) in late may and had bart the following february

I'm glad Smithers came out in dress. He was happy and proud of who he really is.

With the bad track record the show has had with LGBT moments (such as precisely those with Smithers), I was dreading they'd make this it into a farce. To my surprise, they played it really well with it both being funny (with him going back and forth between choosing a suit or dress, which was adorably amusing) and tasteful by playing it, for a lack of a better word, straight (respecting the character and his decisions & lifestyle and not make it some mockery). Props to the writer.

Don't mean to bump, but if Marge is allergic to seafood, why in an older episode iirc was she making meatloaf with tuna fish inside?

Allergies are very inconsistent on the Simpsons. Bart is allergic to butterscotch, yet later Marge claims butterscotch chicken is his favorite. Also Bart has no problems eating seafood in Blowfish, but later is so allergic to shrimp he has to go to the hospital after dueling with Skinner over a vat of peanut shrimp.

So, the secret of such success, and good quality (comparing with other 2021 shorts) is really long time if production - 10 months, like for full episode. Even the best (by now), the 1st Disney+ short "The Force Awaken…” has been doing from Jan to Apr (ok, May). That's the lesson for all 2 months shorts.😌
So, off-top, but just basically on time, Plusaversary (which I didn't see by now) is going to be better than "Loki", and a bit worse than "Nap"🙃

Is there a version of this available without subtitles?

Back