Bad Descriptions on TV?

merzitar

. . .
Hi. Throughout the time I have been watching The Simpsons, I have noticed that the TV channel often enter very silly discriptions of some episodes. Have any of you ever seen any stupid discriptions or mistakes?

Today, I was scanning through to see what episodes were on later in the week, and I saw this discription:

baddiscription.jpg

"I'm with Cupid: Homer kidnaps Elton John (guest starring as himself) and locks him in a cage.

That's in case you can't see the image (if it goes offline or whatever).
It's just so dumb. They make it sound like the episode is all about Homer going mad and kidnapping Elton John.

lol
Sorry, that's hilarious.

This wasn't on my TV, but on the FOX website, I remember these descriptions for these episodes last season, or at least something like this (not exact wording, but the general idea):

Double Double Boy in Trouble: Bart switches places with his lookalike and goes to a mansion with Joe Montana.
They made it seem like Joe Montana was a big part of the episode and he wasn't. The promo image did the same thing.

Lisa the Drama Queen: Fallout Boy performs their version of The Simpsons theme.
They make it seem like Fallout Boy performing their theme is the episode plot and they are a big part of the episode, but they are only part of the end credits.

mine isn't that retarded but it can do stupid things for other shows that mention one or so little scenes from the episode.

the one at my sisters' house has the Simpsons listed as TV-MA

They make it seem like Fallout Boy performing their theme is the episode plot and they are a big part of the episode, but they are only part of the end credits.

Whaaa!? That's stupid.
Thanks for that.

the Simpsons listed as TV-MA
Hehehe, MA for The Simpsons. . . I was watching them when I was about 6.

"I'm with Cupid: Homer kidnaps Elton John (guest starring as himself) and locks him in a cage.

That's in case you can't see the image (if it goes offline or whatever).
It's just so dumb. They make it sound like the episode is all about Homer going mad and kidnapping Elton John.

Double Double Boy in Trouble: Bart switches places with his lookalike and goes to a mansion with Joe Montana.
They made it seem like Joe Montana was a big part of the episode and he wasn't. The promo image did the same thing.

Looks like they want to lay heavy emphasis on the guest-stars because they think that's the way to draw viewers.
:shake:

Here's some descriptions from Sky TV (UK):

Lost Verizon: A believer in the mantra finders keepers, a sticky-fingered Bart steals actor Denis Leary's phone and uses it for pranking purposes. Let the mischief and mayhem begin.
Eh? That's just confusing.

Pray Anything:
After breaking his leg, Homer sues the church for damages... and is awarded the church itself. Guest starring WNBA star Lisa Leslie.
What about all the other details?

Revenge Is A Dish Best Served Three Times: Three tales of revenge from Springfield. Milhouse leads a nerd rebellion, while crimefighter 'Red Revenge' takes to the streets.
What the hell? I don't remember anything about 'Red Revenge' in that episode.

I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can: Lisa's in turmoil when she is offered a scholarship in return for losing a spelling bee, and Homer falls in love with a 'limited time only' burger.
They make it sound smaller than it actually is.

I can remember the Sky description for I Love Lisa describing Ralph as the school nerd, but that's about it really

I stopped watching The Simpsons on Sky a few weeks ago since everyone single fucking episode they air is from the last 10 years

Last edited:
in case it differs (I really don't know or care how this all goes) I've got Comcast Digital Cable back at home. the description for every episode from season 17 (or so) summarize the arc of each story, and often will go so far as to narrate into the third (fourth) act in their paragraph-long description.

I dislike that. if I read the description, it's because I don't know what episode it is, or if I've seen it before -- "Bart switches places with his lookalike and goes to a mansion with Joe Montana" offers me that information.

I'd say even "Lisa's in turmoil when she is offered a scholarship in return for losing a spelling bee" might go too far. Just say she goes to a spelling bee. I mean, I understand them wanting to cram in guest star mentions, but will they really convince people to watch an episode with a winning two-sentence description of the story. Describe enough to be useful, take out the witty flourishes, and stop writing.

That's Charter with the guides that occasionally switch back and forth between rating The Simpsons PG one week and MA the next.

The great thing is that for my 17-year-old friend whose ultra Conservative parents have rating blocks, he would be banned from watching The Simpsons.

i'm still laughing over this.

Back